News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Ironclad

Started by The Lady Mercedes, July 10, 2011, 07:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Mercedes

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233301/ sounds interesting, but Paul Giamatti as King John?!  ???  :D
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Sir William Marcus

I personally thought Paul Giamatti did a great job as King John.  Several of us had the privilege of viewing this last night and I can honestly say its by far the best medieval flick since Kingdom of Heaven. We all found it quite entertaining.
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

The Lady Mercedes

Wow awesome! I'm deffinitely gonna check it out then!

angusmacinnes

Sounds good will have to make a trip to the theater to see this one.
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Captain Teague

We can get it on demand on satellite.  ;D

Might just check it out. Especially since it has been compared in quality to Kingdom of Heaven, as that is one of my top ten medieval movies of all time.
The Code is the Law...

Sir William Marcus

Indeed, please lets us know your opinions, good or bad.

Enjoy!
VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

Lord Clisto of York

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on July 12, 2011, 07:09:12 AM
I personally thought Paul Giamatti did a great job as King John.  Several of us had the privilege of viewing this last night and I can honestly say its by far the best medieval flick since Kingdom of Heaven. We all found it quite entertaining.

I still have to wait till I get mine from Amazon. Been waiting long enough for it and reading about it over the past year. I wanted to see it sooo bad this past weekend but there wasn't a theater here that had it. Since it is medieval, i will like it. Just under 2 weeks for release.

Also waiting on "1066" which has been in production for one hell of a long time.

Lord Clisto
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Captain Teague

Quote from: Sir William Marcus on July 13, 2011, 10:43:30 PM
Indeed, please lets us know your opinions, good or bad.

Enjoy!

Ok, you twisted my arm.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

The Lady Mercedes

Just got it, so I'll be watching on Sat. morning... ;D

Lord Clisto of York

I really hate having to wait for this.

Captain Teague

Alright, saw this last night on demand from DirectTV last night.

First off, VERY GRAPHIC. Do not watch this if you are squeamish about such things (Think "300" ).
I have no problems with that, but wanted to put it out there.

I definitely liked it. It was a well told story behind the story of a small group of people fighting for their side of the cause vs. King John. It presented a cutting edge of the behind the scenes politics of varying countries and the church at that point in history (yes, much like Kingdom of Heaven ) and IMO, a much better look at more of the realism of people and their mannerisms, far better than the historical polished up and politically correct historians views.

It had all the correct ingredients including action,drama, politics, a little romance, some humor and underlying it all, Honor, Beliefs and the temptation of both. Well supported by a good cast including:
James Purefoy ( A Knights Tale, Resident Evil )
Brian Cox (Troy,Braveheart, Bourne series of movies )
Kate Mara (Shooter, Iron Man 2 )
Jason Flemyng (Clash of the Titans, LOVED him in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as Jekyll/Hyde )
Charles Dance (Game of Thrones TV series, Last Action Hero )
Derek Jacobi ( Gladiator, Henry V )

And a personal note about Paul Giamatti. I feel he is an under-appreciated actor. But also one that people either tend to hate or love with his unusual quirky style. Personally I love his work, although even I as a fan was a bit skeptical about such a serious role. I was delightfully mistaken. Especially after one of his biggest scenes in the movie where he rants about why he deserves the throne as King. Well done, sir. Also other movies he has done and I liked as well: Shoot Em Up, The Illusionist and Sideways. And if you like wine and offbeat dark humor, see Sideways. I saw this quite awhile ago and still to this day use the "Merlot Line" that he presents in this movie it made me laugh that much.

In summation. If you are a fan of the "Truer Style" hard line historical stories without all the polish (again, think Kingdom of Heaven ), yet they make sure they have all the other necessary chemistries as mentioned before, then by all means it is worth the cost of admission (Which for me it was 6 bucks on demand from satellite )

5 stars.  ;D
The Code is the Law...

The Lady Mercedes

Thanks for the review!

Lord Clisto of York

Drooling here now.  It sounds like just what I want to see. I have direct tv so I will be looking for it on there tomorrow on demand. I didnt think to look there since I didn't see it mentioned. What do I know? I work 12 to 14 hr shifts nights. Hopefully I can see it before I get the dvd shipped. Thanks for the review.

Thanks

Lord Clisto

Lord Clisto of York

I just looked and saw it listed for on demand. WOOHOO!!  Well, you now know what I will be doing tomorrow afternoon.

Lord Clisto

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Watched this on DVD tonight. And while not 100% accurate it is a good movie. The combat is by far more accurate than just about any other movie I have seen dealing with this type of combat. The movie is graphic and brutal as combat was in the 13th century. The acting was all very well done and Paul Giamatti did one of the best versions of John I have seen to date. I actually think it better than Kingdom of Heaven but that is me. I give it four out of 5 severed limbs, my Lord Toki gives it 4 out of 5 trebuchets. A MUST see watch for anyone that loves a good Medieval story.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e