News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Lining Silk... ?

Started by Rani Zemirah, August 12, 2011, 01:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

Sooo... I bought these lovely vintage silk saris from India, in a gorgeous tissue weight... thin, floaty... just right for making lovely and lightweight layered skirts for new fantasy Turkish garb (so I don't roast in all those layers).  Typical saris, with 3 or so yards of fabric in the main "body" of the things all the same, then 2 or so yards of more heavily patterned fabric that can be wrapped so it's more visible than the rest. 

I'm planning to make both gored and tiered skirts from the main body of each of 3 saris, but I want to use the more heavily patterned portions to make other things... in particular a couple of straight panel skirts (open at the sides), and perhaps parts of the bellydance belts I'll be making, as well.  I want these items to be a bit heavier than the skirts, however, so that they don't get caught by the wind so easily, and hang a bit straighter instead of floating all over the place, so I will be lining them with a fairly lightweight cotton broadcloth. 

My question is... should I fuse a lightweight interlining to the silk before I attach the lining, to give it more stability?  No matter what I put behind this silk, it's going to be a pretty drastically different weight than the silk, itself, just by it's very nature, and I also plan to use various types of trim, as well.  I don't want to waste an inch of this gorgeous fabric, though, so before I cut and sew I thought I should seek advice from all of you experts!  If the verdict is yes, then what weight interlining do you think would work best? 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Kate XXXXXX

No, silk tends not to fuse well, and the interfacing delaminates over time.

Better to mount the pieces you are going to make jackets from on a firm linen or cotton and line with lighter weight cotton.

Sari's usually come woven with a highly decorated headpiece at one end, and, either after that or at the other end, the piece for the chola or top worn with the sari.  I have chopped up several saris to make other clothing.  It's a fun process.  Keep us abreast of your progress!  ;D

Syrilla

I agree with Kate.  Don't fuse it.  If you are want to "stiffen" it, I would do an inter-liner.  Sewing 2 pieces of cloth, on top of each other, as one.  Stick to natural fabrics as they will work best with this silk.

Rani Zemirah

Thank you, ladies!  I haven't had much chance to work with silks before, so I knew better than to just forge ahead without asking, and you've come through for me!!! 

Can't wait to get started! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

One of my clients is from India. She gets some of the most beautiful Silks that I have ever seen for pennies on the dollar. I have made her numerous Sari Tops and regular clothing. For lining, I used Symphony Broadcloth. Plenty of body and durable.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rani Zemirah

I'll keep that in mind, LadyK!   Thank you!!! 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Master James

M'lady made a beautiful court gown out of silk this past year and she lined it with linen.  That worked really well and helped to keep her cool as well.
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51