News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

what to Listen to in order to practice language

Started by fairymom, August 17, 2011, 12:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fairymom

Hi all, I spend quite a lot of time in my car and listening to books on tape. Does anyone know of a pronunciation or language guide that I can listen to and work on my:

Pronunciation
Pronunciation Drills
Vocabulary
Grammar
Forms of Address
Insults and Cursing
Songs of the Times

I have found quite a bit of info online but it is all in print. As helpful as that is, I would like something to listen to and speak along with so that I won't be so shy come faire time! Any leads would be wonderful, thank you all.

Muffin

Welcome to R/F!!  :)

You could try Rosetta Stone?

Are you trying to master an accent or learn a new language?

A Captains Wench

It's always Beer:30 here....

*sigh* So many kilts, so little time......

Ette

fairymom

Rosetta stone would be awesome! It is how I learned Spanish but I don't think they have one for 16th century English. Lol.

I did forget to specify the language I am trying to learn, didn't I. I do get aead of myself when I get excited. hahaha

I am just trying to learn the manner of speech, the Vocabulary, Grammar, Forms of Address that would be appropriate for a period merchant. I would like to be able to "play" and interact in the appropriate manner of speaking. There is a bit of a difference between my natural 2011 SoCal surfer speech and 1550 English merchant speech.  :)

I was hoping someone knew of a book on tape or dictation tutorial that would have a this particular manner of speaking, such as grammar, greetings, etc. that I could listen to and mimic.

renren

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

BubbleWright

I found the following book and CD to be very helpful-

- Trippingly On The Tongue, a Booke of Instruction for Speaking Early Modern English, by Laura Crocket

- The Well Tempered Dialect, Your Guide to Mastering Renaissance English, by Daniel Penze

Links: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Trippingly+On+The+Tongue&x=15&y=22

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=The+Well+Tempered+Dialect&x=15&y=17

PS- It appears that the Well Tempered Dialect is only available from Amazon as a MP3 download. It is possible that a Ren Merchant might have it in CD format.

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

fairymom

MP3 is just fine, thank you so much! I will definitely try these out.

ravic

Be aware the Well Tempered Dialect & some of the others are in Basic Faire Accent & not true Tudor English. BFA is a "sounds like" accent created to be understandable for the modern ear.