News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Useless fact of the day!

Started by Valiss, December 05, 2011, 01:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

Pardon my linguistic error...  Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.  :P  lol
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

MrHyde

The King Ranch in Texas is bigger than the state of Rhode Island.
Home Faire - Texas Renaissance Festival
Frequent - Scarborough, Four Winds, Sherwood, and Middlefaire as well.

KeeperoftheBar

Actor David Niven graduated from Sandhurst, the British Military Academy.
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 20, 2011, 09:58:18 PM
Ahh! That's different! In that case...
"Where in the bloody hell would anyone find a frekking whale in Okla-bloody-homa?!?!?!?!!??!??" asked the Wizard in a slightly excited state.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Valiss

A white man hasn't ran in the 100 meter finals at the Olympics since 1980.

MrHyde

In Texas, it is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.
Home Faire - Texas Renaissance Festival
Frequent - Scarborough, Four Winds, Sherwood, and Middlefaire as well.

Rani Zemirah

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on December 21, 2011, 07:03:18 AM
Quote from: Rani Zemirah on December 20, 2011, 09:58:18 PM
Ahh! That's different! In that case...
"Where in the bloody hell would anyone find a frekking whale in Okla-bloody-homa?!?!?!?!!??!??" asked the Wizard in a slightly excited state.

Port of Cattoosa, maybe?

"The Tulsa Port of Catoosa is one of the largest, most inland river-ports in the United States! Located at the head of navigation for the McClellan-Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System in Northeast Oklahoma, the Tulsa Port of Catoosa offers year round, ice-free barge service with river flow levels controlled by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers."

It does actually have ocean-going capability, with access via the Arkansas river to the Mississippi river, and into the Gulf of Mexico.  I'm not saying that it's even remotely possible that a whale could make it up there... but obviously at some point in history someone did...  :D 

And that's not even the weirdest law on the OK books...  ::)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

The Rabbi

On that note Catoosa is rather famouse for its Route 66 Blue Whale.
Oklahoma has more shoreline then any other state in the U.S.
We also speak more languages and dialects here then all of Europe combined.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

BLAKDUKE

rabbi

would you please explain that second one a bit more.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

The Rabbi

Due to Oklahoma being indian Territory first there are 64 tribes considered native to the State of Oklahoma with some tribal languages having up to 7 different dialects with English, Spanish, and German plus variouse others having claimed nativity. Tried to find the exact snumber and source but can not remember where I saw it at. Was also informed of this while in Germany during a required class after first arriving there. With all the different tribes and thier dialects there are more languages spoken in Oklahoma then all of europe.
Proud member of FOKTOP

BLAKDUKE

Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

The Rabbi

My apologies good sir misunderstood as the second you refere to Oklahoma has more shoreline then any other state in the U.S. Our abundant lakes, rivers, creeks, and navigational channels with a total of 11,611 miles of shoreline. We also have more man made lakes than any other state with enough water to cover the entire state in over two feet of water.
Proud member of FOKTOP

Captain Jack Wolfe

Interesting claim, seeing how Minnesota has 90,000 miles of shoreline along 63,000 miles of natural streams, lakes, and rivers, according to the state Department of Natural Resources.  That's more than California, Florida and Hawaii combined.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

The Rabbi

I aint gonna contest or measure lol just going by the info given.
http://www.chacha.com/question/how-many-miles-of-shoreline-are-in-oklahoma

Sorry was not trying to start anything here was just trying to catch a whale honest.
Proud member of FOKTOP

The Rabbi

Boise City, Oklahoma was the only city in the United States to be bombed during World War II. On Monday night, July 5, 1943, at approximately 12:30 a.m., a B-17 Bomber based at Dalhart Army Air Base (50 miles to the south of Boise City) dropped six practice bombs on the sleeping town.
Can we say friendly fire I think a Texan was behind this lol
Proud member of FOKTOP