News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Useless fact of the day!

Started by Valiss, December 05, 2011, 01:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jack Wolfe

No worries, mate!  People tend to forget about us here in the Great Frozen North.   :D

I try to forget about it on a daily basis...  ;)
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

MrHyde

Quote from: The Rabbi on December 21, 2011, 11:37:57 PM
Boise City, Oklahoma was the only city in the United States to be bombed during World War II. On Monday night, July 5, 1943, at approximately 12:30 a.m., a B-17 Bomber based at Dalhart Army Air Base (50 miles to the south of Boise City) dropped six practice bombs on the sleeping town.
Can we say friendly fire I think a Texan was behind this lol

It was only a Texan if he hit the target, otherwise it was not.

A chicken with red earlobes will produce brown eggs, and a chicken with white earlobes will produce white eggs
Home Faire - Texas Renaissance Festival
Frequent - Scarborough, Four Winds, Sherwood, and Middlefaire as well.

BubbleWright

QuoteBoise City, Oklahoma was the only city in the United States to be bombed during World War II. On Monday night, July 5, 1943, at approximately 12:30 a.m., a B-17 Bomber based at Dalhart Army Air Base (50 miles to the south of Boise City) dropped six practice bombs on the sleeping town.

While it may be true Boise City was the only US city bombed in WWII, other bombing attacks were carried out on the west coast with the intent on setting large forest fires which would engulf many smaller towns and thus induce panic. See:
http://www.historynet.com/japanese-bomb-the-continental-u-s-west-coast.htm

Additionally, the Japanese sent many paper balloon incendiary bombs via the jet stream to set fires in the US. See-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_balloon

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

The Rabbi

After reading the last post I would dare to say I was totally unaware of The West Coast bombings had heard of the fire balloons but was not sure of thier effectiveness.

In the 3 state corner of Illinoise,Iowa, and Missouri the 3 facing/opposing (point of view I guess) All had a common denominator WarsaW Il. KeokuK Ia. and AlaxandriA Mo. Each ends with the same letter that it begins with. For the record I do believe Warsaw no longer exist but reserve the right to be wrong.
My sanity is not lost I sent it away
Proud member of FOKTOP

Valiss

Only 59% of U.S. adults know that the earliest humans and dinosaurs did not live at the same time.

MrHyde

Princess Diana had her navel pierced - and fitted with a 2.8-carat diamond stud - just a few hours before her fatal accident.

Merlin the Elder

87% of U.S. citizens believe everything they read, never bothering to verify it. (I can attest to that based solely on the number of "the sky-is-falling" emails that I receive. I've referred dozens of emails to Snopes or other debunking sites.)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

kcdcchef

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on December 23, 2011, 11:11:03 AM
87% of U.S. citizens believe everything they read, never bothering to verify it. (I can attest to that based solely on the number of "the sky-is-falling" emails that I receive. I've referred dozens of emails to Snopes or other debunking sites.)

you mean like the sheer amount of idiots who believe our president was born overseas even though he has a birth certificate from hawaii?

kcdcchef

at the end of It's a Wonderful Life when they sing Auld Lane Zyne, Jimmy Stewart, playing George Bailey, is laughing because Karolyn Grimes, playing ZuZu, doesn't know any of the words in the song and is flubbing it. So if you watch the movie watch for this part at the very end!

Captain Teague

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on December 23, 2011, 11:11:03 AM

Noooo KIDDING. I absolutely cannot count the number of times I have debunked a ton of hoaxes, some ten years old or older that are yet going around because of folks that cannot google or snopes anything...

The Code is the Law...

MrHyde

Topless saleswomen are legal in Liverpool, England – but only in tropical fish stores.

kcdcchef

since I'm officially on a Christmas bender this evening, my useless fact du jour shall be..........................

In the 1983 classic "A Christmas Story" they created the flagpole scene with a pipe and a vacuum cleaner suction, had a hole on the pole, Flick put his tongue up to it and the vacuum did the rest of the work. Made it look like he was stuck for real.

Ferret

Quote from: kcdcchef on December 23, 2011, 01:09:19 PM
at the end of It's a Wonderful Life when they sing Auld Lane Zyne, Jimmy Stewart, playing George Bailey, is laughing because Karolyn Grimes, playing ZuZu, doesn't know any of the words in the song and is flubbing it. So if you watch the movie watch for this part at the very end!

Same movie. When George goes back into Mary's Mother's house to get his hat, and ends up hugging and kissing Mary, there is a lot of lines left out of that scene. It was Jimmy's first movie after his service during the war and he forgot a lot of his lines in the excitement and filming. Frank Capra left the scene that way.

Ferret

kcdcchef

next useless Christmas fact, you can watch NORAD track Santa every Christmas eve. Great stuff.

Rani Zemirah

NORAD Santa is really useful to me!  That's the only I could get my renlet to go to bed tonight, by showing her that Santa was still down in Central America, and he wasn't going to turn back North until all the kids up here were in bed, asleep!  Worked like a charm!  :D
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede