News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

**** Official 2012 Countdown ****

Started by Merlin, December 26, 2011, 05:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

97 Days

Also... feel free to add a brief story describing WHY you go to Scarborough Faire.

Here...I'll go first.... since I'm injured..I have LOTS of time so mine may not be brief.

Had a friend also named Scot but with only 1 T who said "You should go to Scarborough Faire"... so one day the weather was great and me and the fam-damily were looking for something to do.... googled it... loaded up and headed out for our very first trip to a renaissance festival.

Entered the gates and immediately went "ahhhhhhh".... Just loved the immediate feeling. We walked around and sat at a few shows and before too long we noticed that we stuck out like a sore thumb because we were in civilian clothes which I later learned was called a "mundane".
\
We went to Dustys rental and all got dressed up in costumes..I chose a wizard (hence the current name Merlin) because Merlin was always my favorite character in medieval times. We felt a little more comfortable and decided to return the following weekend.

This time we immediately headed to Dusty's and got decked out so we felt more involved but soon noticed that we were still "mundane". That day, however, was the hook...line... and sinker. We were now rennies, playtrons. whatever the term is..... we were hooked.

Since then we have bought and made several costumes before finally meeting some of the Scots who welcomed us in with open arms. Richard the Bear was one of the first who invited me to march in the parade.... then I met the O'Farrells and Donna Catalina and many other wonderful people. Now we schedule our summer around Scarborough.

Me and Savannah are there almost every day...the wife-unit and the older food eater come at least 1 day per weekend... and we love it.

We have traveled to other faires...went to Colorado last summer for the Rendezvous.... loved it.

So if you see me..and we haven't met... come say HELLOOOOOOOO ! I march with the Queens Own Highlanders and usually hand out near Motley Players.

Is it April yet?
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Merlin the Elder

Trips to Scarborough have become a tradition for Nimue and me. If we lived close enough, we would be there every open day, but, alas, too far... The most we've done in a single season was preview, open, and closing weekends.  It feels like home, though, for some of the same reasons you cite.

So...tell your dear old dad...how are you injured?!? (Ya rotten kid...didn't even tell me!)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Merlin

So good to see those who travel from afar at what I call home....

Injured... well... it seems I was lifting too heavy trying to get ready for a show that was moved up 2 months and I damaged a nerve in my arm.
It is supposed to be fixed and only 5 weeks away from being able to life heavy again.... we will see.

eloquentXI

I found out about Scarby...no joke by finding Paul's photos online. I searched through them and instantly went, "I HAVE TO GO TO THIS PLACE."

I made a costume and a friend of mine drove us both down there. We fell in love with it instantly. That friend who went with me? Works for the jousters now and met her fiance (funny enough online, but also a Rennie who I knew from TRF). My first season was 2007. In 2008, I made several weekends, much to the dismay of my Dad as it was my Senior Year of HS. 2008 was also the year that I became active on the forums and met...the three Sirens of the South, LadyJessica, BrimstoneBlue (aka Warcat or whatever the hell she calls herself these days...  :D), and Guinny. One weekend with them and I was never the same! (Ask me how I met Molden the first time too...  ;D)

I have made at least four weekends every season since then. I don't know how this season will play out yet but you'll usually see me running amuck with pirates or bouncing around from place to place.

...the real reason of why I go:

Well...what became an adventure one weekend turned into falling in love with a place and a group of a people.
There is a magic to Scarborough that I have never seen or known elsewhere in my life. And I'll keep going back, however frequent or less frequent until I am unable to.
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Merlin

That's awesome Elo.... the magic of Scarby is exactly that...MAGICAL!

There's a certain feeling inside the walls...a feeling of happiness and far away from all the ugliness of the real world.

I've met people inside the walls that I rarely, if ever, see on the outside. I feel very comfortable inside the walls... I absolutely love the people I've met there. There are no nerds.... no ugly people... no hateful people.... just fun.

Since we dove head first into the whole "renny" thing...it has been a great experience for our family. My daughters make new costumes constantly. My wife is even taking belly dancing lessons now ! ! I can't tell you how hot that is !!

I have researched my Scottish history and learned so much about my family and Scotland...these are things I would have never done without the renaissance experience.

I can't wait for April !!

*Teach*

I couldn't tell you when I first heard of Scarby, seems I have known about it forever. I could never convince the ex to go and so the first season after I was divorced I went alone and fell in love with the place. Now I go as often as I can each season with My Love (who says it is her favorite big faire).
I agree with the feeling comfortable inside the walls, Merlin. When I walk through those gates I feel at peace and the rest of the world fades into unimportance.

*After a while I also usually feel a bit wobbly but I think that's from the rum, not the faire*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Merlin

Ronald the Bald

A friend talked me into going back in 1995, I think. By the end of the day I decided to convert my day pass to a season pass. Had a season, participant, or FOF pass every year since then. Probably haven't missed even 5 days since then. Last time I missed was for Julia's graduation when she got her masters degree. That was about 5 years ago.

Started getting garb after my first weekend. Been getting better garb each year. Now have a whole walkin closet full of garb. Finally have enough... for now.

angusmacinnes

But Ron what about opening weekend? You will need something new.  LOL

Just sitting and waiting now. 
There are many places where compromise is expected;
LOYALTY is not amongst them.

Merlin

I think for opening weekend i will break out my new Pride of Scotland... new doublet... new plaid and new clan broach.

Come on April.... get here already !

DonaCatalina

I need to get motivated on my sewing. <sigh>

Scarborough feels kinda like Grandma's 20 acre backyard. There are cool old buildings with neat stuff and you know the ground so well that you don't have to think before avoiding the muddy spots. You can dress up in fantastic clothes and play with your friends all day.

Scarborough is like coming home after spending a very long time away. All your old friends and lots of cousins come by to see you and enjoy eating, drinking and lots of music.

.....and its now 92 days away.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

That was downright poetic, DC...  :)  See you soon!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Alerrick Afon Adou

You are so correct DonaCatalina,Scarborough is so comfy felling.   

PollyPoPo

Quote from: Alerrick Afon Adou on January 06, 2012, 08:27:58 AM
You are so correct DonaCatalina,Scarborough is so comfy felling.   

Oh, dear Sir, I try to hard not to do nit-picking proofreading stuff on forums, but did you really mean "comfy felling"?  Just a typo, right?

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Alerrick Afon Adou

maybe not the correct word (comfy) sorry Polly. It feels like Home when I walk through the gates.