News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Opening Day Tailgate

Started by Merlin the Elder, January 27, 2012, 08:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

Anyone in the area organizing one? I'd be glad to, but five of us are coming from nearly 500 miles away...that's 2500 RenMiles, or 17,500 in dog miles (?w?t?f?)... In lieu of any other ideas, we'll plan on being in the parking lot by about 9:00 am Saturday.   ;)

EDIT: I realize that 14 days out, the forecasts can be way off, but as of today, opening day is supposed to be partly sunny, with a high of 54° and a low of 36°

That may be chilly for some, but I LIKE that!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

JackGonzo, MD

I'd be up for it if I was coming out. I have to check but I may have to do RHPS that night, if not, I will attempt to make First Weekend.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Captain Teague

Well, we are in the same motel, so we can hookup for leaving together or whatnot. If we can get a gathering going, Milady Gryphon promises to bring true English scones, from her very guarded old family recipe. :)
The Code is the Law...

Merlin

Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Merlin the Elder

We're camping at the Quality Inn in Bastrop, lad. Did you decide to come for opening?

Merlin

It's still a day to day decision...but if we can make it...we'll stay at the same hotel
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Zardoz

Well, I was thinking about camping for opening weekend, but after digging around in my camping gear today, I decided (about an hour ago) that a motel sounded better!  Bastrop is actually a little farther from my house than the faire is, so I will be camping at America's Best Cheap Inn near Giddings, about 12 miles from the fairegrounds.
Looking forward to seeing everyone!
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

Captain Teague

Quote from: Merlin on January 29, 2012, 02:25:05 PM
It's still a day to day decision...but if we can make it...we'll stay at the same hotel

Are you sure the motel ( or the world, for that matter ) is ready for two Wizards and a Darklord/Pirate?  ;D
The Code is the Law...

Merlin the Elder

I know I'm not...  Zardoz is the smart one...he'll be in another town...

mpullen

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 27, 2012, 08:11:28 PM
Anyone in the area organizing one? I'd be glad to, but five of us are coming from nearly 500 miles away...that's 2500 RenMiles, or 17,500 in dog miles (?w?t?f?)... In lieu of any other ideas, we'll plan on being in the parking lot by about 9:00 am Saturday.   ;)

EDIT: I realize that 14 days out, the forecasts can be way off, but as of today, opening day is supposed to be partly sunny, with a high of 54° and a low of 36°

That may be chilly for some, but I LIKE that!

Since I will be checking the weekend campers around that time Saturday morning, I'll stop by to say hello. Since I have to prepare the Seven Sisters before opening, I can't stay too long in the parking area.

If you happen to see an old phart raking leaves and cleaning up the stone circle, stop by and say hello. Saturdays I wear my kilt and Sunday my English peasant garb (or reverse if I feel like it).

Merlin the Elder

I'll be more than pleased to stop and say hello, M...you were kind enough to introduce yourself to me at last year's opening. I just hope I can get my crew together to be there by 9!  Our traveling companions have only ever been to one faire each, two are our regular companions to Scarby, and the other has only been to OkRF. So, they may appear to be like deer in the headlights.

Lord Dragon, don't you go scaring my friends...  :)

Captain Teague

HEY....I don't bite....

Well....not hard....

Well, not unless you ask nicely.....

Oh, nevermind......   8)
The Code is the Law...

Zardoz

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 29, 2012, 07:13:40 PM

Well, there's always something happening in the Zardoz vortex  ;) 
I'm told a lot of faire folks use the place I'm staying, we'll see... In any event I'm not gonna be around there much except to shower and sleep.
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

scarletnyx

Quote from: Zardoz on January 30, 2012, 12:10:11 PM
Quote from: Merlin the Elder on January 29, 2012, 07:13:40 PM

Well, there's always something happening in the Zardoz vortex  ;) 
I'm told a lot of faire folks use the place I'm staying, we'll see... In any event I'm not gonna be around there much except to shower and sleep.

There's a reason for that, besides the faire. It's not a 5 star establishment. Alex had to stay there overnight a few years ago, and he said it was not nice. However, that was after a very stressful day so I'm sure it was skewed somewhat.

I'm up for a tailgate! Alex and I will be camping with PR, so we will be up and ready very early! I cannot wait to finally meet a good bit of all of you  ;D
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Merlin the Elder

From what I could tell on the map, Gidding, Bastrop, and Elgin are all within 20 minutes or so, and Bastrop offered the most options. We stayed in Bastrop last year. I think we'll be going back to that Mediterranean restaurant again...

If we leave Bastrop by 8:30, we should be tailgating by 9!  :D