News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Another Little Piece of the 60s gone ... Monkee Davey Jones dies

Started by Merlin the Elder, February 29, 2012, 01:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin the Elder

Yeah, it was a cheesy band, but they were a lot of fun, and it was part of my mundane youth...

Davey Jones of the Monkees, dead at 66.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rowan MacD

I posted a bit of DJ trivia in Useless Facts in honor of the cutest of the Monkees (IMHO)
   May he rest in peace.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Captain Teague

The Code is the Law...

Anna Iram

My biggest crush was Mickey, but Ithe remember the year I got the "Daydream Believer" 45 for my birthday. I was in heaven.

Lady Gryphon

The Musician in me loved Peter Tork.  He was the goofy one. I've had Day Dream Believer playing in my head for the last few day, why I do not know. But it was one of my favorites of the band.

Davy played "the Artful Dodger in London when he was a small boy around 13 years old.  Another piece of useless trivia.

Sleep well, one of my favorite childhood memories, you will be missed.
Why do I feel like I've worn something like this before?

Welsh Wench

I wanted to change my name to Valerie.

What a cutie he was....Marcia Brady certainly thought so!

Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Merlin the Elder

LOL! They all had their moments of lunacy. 

Most think that the Monkees didn't know how to play, when in fact all but Jones were musicians when the Monkees came together.  Early recordings were performed by sessions musicians, but later, they did begin playing on the albums, but continued to use sessions people. You'd probably be surprised to know that the recordings included artists such as Glen Campbell, Stephen Still, Leon Russel, Dr. John, Buddy Miles, & Neil Young doing the session work.

Posted by Michael Nesmith:

------
All the lovely people. Where do they all come from?

So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don't know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don't exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity.

That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won't abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane.

David's spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us.

I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels.

----
Beautifully stated...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Bonny Pearl

I used to watch the tv show all the time when I was a kid.  I have been singing their songs all afternoon.  Such sad news.
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88