News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Memorial Day Parade

Started by batninja, March 27, 2012, 12:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

batninja

As a veteran, what do I need to do to become part of the yellow-sashed parade on Memorial Day?  I've never been to Scarby on that particular weekend, I've just seen pics.

Do I need to register somewhere?  Do I need to bring any documentation that weekend?  Is there a special meeting area?

I guess I have the same questions about marching with the Scots as well...   :)
It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

Drac

Since I normally have some form of military duty I can't answer on the Memorial Day parade.

I can say to march with the Scots, Queen's Own Highlanders, just show up in a kilt and they will put you to work.  They always have a safety brief so new people will always get the training.

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

SirRichardBear

For Memorial day they start handing out the yellow-sashed as soon as the gate opens just come by the cottage below the falcon stage and they will fity you with the sash, as far as I know its on the honor system.  They also do a drawing to see who carries the service flags and Old Glory so if you are interrested in doing that be sure they have your name.  Then just come back at around 12 about 12:30 or so they will muster up and head back behind the keep.   

As for Marching with the QOH its pretty basic kilt period shirt, shoes reasonable period aka no neon skeekers  work shoes with legges work most time.  But kilt is not a requirment you can still march if you have taran pants and a plaid sash.  Since I sometimes have to jump the archery counter during the tournament I don't always have a kilt on.  If your not sure just ask around for one of the officers or the senior NCO's the First Stg is normally near the front gate in the morning and will be more than willing to help out.   Then its meeting up at the cottage before 12:30 we muster line up do our checks and then march over behind the keep for Parade.  If you haven't done it before its good to get there closer to 12 so you can sign in for credit get newbe briefing, and decide if you want to carry pike or sword.  We normally have 10 pikes but some times they are not in parade as they are doing wedding duty.  You are welcome to carry your own weapon, sword, axe, warhammer, spear etc.  but we do have a limited supply of regimental swords for those than don't normally carry a weapon as part of ther grab.  If you haven't seen us before its a march we often have drums and sometimes pipes we keep military bearing aka no smiling or waving to the crown and as much as safety and physiucal requirements allow keep in step.  We're a friendly groups so even if you don't march come by and say hello.     
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Merlin the Elder

I never served...closest I came was JROTC in high school, and that doesn't even count. I almost wish I could march in honour of my dad, who was a WWII and Korea veteran, POW and survivor of the Bataan Death March. When the bombs were dropped in Japan, Pappy was in a camp between Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

We'll be on hand Memorial Day weekend, and if there are no objections, we'll join the gathering in the Village Green after the parade as we did a year or so after Pappy died.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

DonaCatalina

We do our best to make it for Memorial day just for the parade. I hope to see you there batninja.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Captain Teague

I proudly marched in last years.  ;D
As soon as I had thanked a few for their service that were wearing the sash and they learned that I had also served they quickly got me on track for getting one myself. Just ask anyone with a sash and I am sure they will point you in the right direction.

One note...the route is fairly long (and it was quite warm last year ), be sure to bring along a bottle or cup of water and there will be stops along the way to keep hydrated. :)
The Code is the Law...

batninja

I marched with the Army Band for eleven years, in every possible configuration and terrain, and length you can throw at me.  Bring it.   :)
It ain't the years, it's the mileage.

lys1022

As noted, the faire does provide a few watering stations on the route for the marchers.  I STRONGLY suggest that anyone walking the parade on any faire day take advantage of that fact, especially at Eagle Crossing, which is about the halfway point.  That is where the largest contingent of watering volunteers is, and there is ice there as well.  If you are marching with the Scots, and you can't carry a cup or don't have a free hand for some ice chips, just open your mouth.  Believe me, those of us who work at the ice stations get VERY good at getting ice into your mouths quickly. :)
Lys
I am not an employee of Scarborough Faire and to not represent them in any way.

Captain Teague

Which was me point afterall.  ;D

Ice on the face can be ..ummm....refreshing for those occasional misfires.  ;D
The Code is the Law...