News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I need help getting started!!!

Started by Otwell Throckmorton, April 18, 2012, 03:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otwell Throckmorton

I'm very new to the Renaissance Faire thing!  I'm at ground zero when it comes to developing a character, but I really want to develop an awesome character that fits who I am, and then I want to delve fully into the Ren-Faire world!

My first question would be, is Lance Altec even appropriate as a Renaissance name?
Lance doesn't seem to appear on lists of names for that time period, and obviously Altec doesn't seem to fit in any surname categories... I just liked the ring to it!   When I delve into something, I delve all the way, so I don't want a name that isn't fitting to the time period!

Second Question: on my Character type...   I love Wizards, and have always been a magical character when I play RPGs, but by nature I'm more of a philosopher in my personality, and would love to be able to play some sort of mad, raving, lunatic, philosopher character.  I could model him after Diogenes of Sinope, or even Socrates...  and then have a Renaissance spin on him though.  But then I do have a Aragorn Ranger-esqu side to me as well...    This is why I'm having a hard time choosing a character to adhere to!
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing"
"Beware the barrenness of a busy life"
- Socrates

Sir Ironhead

Do as many as you want.  Don't think I've seen anything in writing that says you have to stick with one character type.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

scarletnyx

When I first started to put together my Faire ensemble, I based it around the first thing I had ever bought at faire - a LadyMac staff made with two kinds of wood, and deer antlers on top. I decided, for comfort in the Texas heat, and money contrasts, I would go as a Druid. I knew next to nothing about Druids, but I did some basic research and started to put together a simple enough garb set. White robe, belt, cloak. That's all.  For my name, I just went to behindthename.com, looked at the Gaelic/Irish names until I found one I liked, and went from there. I didn't really try to date the name, just picked one I liked and that described my character.

As for different styles, I can totally relate. Right now my main fairsona is a Druid, but that will change this next TRF season when my Templar Cris ( short for Cristina ) comes out to play. I am a huge fan of having more than one character, because one weekend you may not feel like playing a happy go lucky Druid. One weekend you may feel like strapping on some pauldrons and fighting a Holy war. As people, we are multi-facuted, so shouldn't your garb wardrobe be the same?

I will say one thing about creating a character at faire, and this could be just me so feel free to step in anyone else ( I am abit shy and clumsy sometimes with words ); it's gonna feel awkward at first. When you first start to tell your story to people, or answer questions, you will stammer and trip over yourself. You may even feel a weird mix of embarrassed, but eager. The first time I went out in garb I was so excited/nervous!

One mistake I think my husband and I both made ( Though he will not admit it ) is that, being ones who love stories and dabble in writing, we made our backstories abit too far reaching and ended up not using half of them. Keep it simple, something that is natural. Such as - Fionnuala is a Druid who lives in safe seclusion in the Hills. Needing supplies, she decided to head into town ( faire ). On the way into town, she met this stranger on the road who was dressed in strange clothes. Being the kind and caring Druid she is, she offered to see the man safely into town. The man, Saeed ( believing no woman should be left unattended in public ) decided to follow -her- into town for safety. At one point I had - way - more, but like I said time has whittled it down to something much more manageable.

Just be prepared for some typical awkwardness when you first start out. ( Sorry if this was long, just trying to pass on what a greenhorn noticed for her first season in garb )
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

DonaCatalina

Scarborough is 8 weekends long. Conceivably you could have a different character each week.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Aderin

Quote from: scarletnyx on June 20, 2012, 08:46:37 AM
When I first started to put together my Faire ensemble, I based it around the first thing I had ever bought at faire - a LadyMac staff made with two kinds of wood, and deer antlers on top. I decided, for comfort in the Texas heat, and money contrasts, I would go as a Druid. I knew next to nothing about Druids, but I did some basic research and started to put together a simple enough garb set. White robe, belt, cloak. That's all.  For my name, I just went to behindthename.com, looked at the Gaelic/Irish names until I found one I liked, and went from there. I didn't really try to date the name, just picked one I liked and that described my character.

As for different styles, I can totally relate. Right now my main fairsona is a Druid, but that will change this next TRF season when my Templar Cris ( short for Cristina ) comes out to play. I am a huge fan of having more than one character, because one weekend you may not feel like playing a happy go lucky Druid. One weekend you may feel like strapping on some pauldrons and fighting a Holy war. As people, we are multi-facuted, so shouldn't your garb wardrobe be the same?

I will say one thing about creating a character at faire, and this could be just me so feel free to step in anyone else ( I am abit shy and clumsy sometimes with words ); it's gonna feel awkward at first. When you first start to tell your story to people, or answer questions, you will stammer and trip over yourself. You may even feel a weird mix of embarrassed, but eager. The first time I went out in garb I was so excited/nervous!

One mistake I think my husband and I both made ( Though he will not admit it ) is that, being ones who love stories and dabble in writing, we made our backstories abit too far reaching and ended up not using half of them. Keep it simple, something that is natural. Such as - Fionnuala is a Druid who lives in safe seclusion in the Hills. Needing supplies, she decided to head into town ( faire ). On the way into town, she met this stranger on the road who was dressed in strange clothes. Being the kind and caring Druid she is, she offered to see the man safely into town. The man, Saeed ( believing no woman should be left unattended in public ) decided to follow -her- into town for safety. At one point I had - way - more, but like I said time has whittled it down to something much more manageable.

Just be prepared for some typical awkwardness when you first start out. ( Sorry if this was long, just trying to pass on what a greenhorn noticed for her first season in garb )

brilliant advice!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.