News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Corset over or under???

Started by Addilay, August 02, 2012, 07:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Addilay

I have a one of a kind dress with a curved neckline. It is not historically accurate. It's the one I am wearing in my moniker. I need a corset because my girls have no support and I look flat chested (I'm a C cup). I am afraid an underbust will not give me enough support so I think I need an overbust, correct? Will a cotton lining with a satin outer breath enough under my bodice? Then my next concern is I need one in 2 weeks. Is there an online store where I can buy a corset that won't blow my budget and I could get it in time?

Of Course!  More wine!

isabelladangelo

Given what you have said, I'd just wear modern undergarments.  I don't think a pair of stays or a Victorian styled corset would look correct with the dress.    Okay, managed to blow the picture up to see much better - no, it probably isn't possible to get a pair of stays or a Victorian styled corset in a couple of weeks that would fit you properly and work for you.  Although some places claim to sell off the rack corsets, they really aren't the type you need nor would they feel comfortable.   Is the material of the dress a poly acetate?   I ask only because you really don't want additional layers with a man made fiber anyway - it won't feel comfortable.  Keep the layers to a minimum given the type of dress and just wear modern undergarments - it will keep you far more comfortable. You might be interested in the German find that I think is just a few threads down. 

gem

That dress is *beautiful!*
http://i1242.photobucket.com/albums/gg540/angmey/IMG_0495copy3.jpg

I can't really see the rest of the bodice, but I would also wear modern undergarments with that. I actually have quite a bit of fairewear I do that with, like this dress (that is not me; that's the catalogue model--but it's the same dress). If your regular bras don't work, experiment with different brands/necklines until you get the look you want (I have issues finding bras that don't show above the necklines of my Fairwear).

For fast shipping for a RTW corset, I had a great experience with Orchard Corset (terrific service, great prices, high quality merchandise), but I'm not sure you'll find something that will give you the shape you want with this particular gown. They specialize in modern, hourglass style corsetry. Beautiful stuff, but perhaps not what you're looking for here!

But, yeah--no need for a corset with that lovely gown!

Addilay

Thank you for your comments and help. I have been looking at Orchard and I like the way their site lets me sort through their line of corsets and I really like their prices. I have tried to find regular under garments but can't seem to find a bra that gives me support and hidden straps. I wonder if a bridal store might be able to help?
Of Course!  More wine!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Here are some better pics (Lady Addilay is my wife) both dresses.

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

isabelladangelo

Eventually, you'll want a pair of Elizabethan stays to go with your gown - not a Victorian (hourglass) corset.  A Victorian styled corset won't give you the shape you want nor need for the dress.  However, there isn't a way to get one in two weeks unless someone of the exact same size is selling their old one on ebay. 

In the longer pictures, I notice the "wrinkle" at the underarm area - if you pin and sew that down, it should bring the shoulder straps "in" which may help with any strap issue you've dealt with before.  If not, you want a longline bra for now which is pretty easy to find online. 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

What lovely photos at Mac's Pub. I recognize the lovely lady from the MNRF.

I would concur that an Elizabethan Corset would be better suited to be worn under this lovely gown. The purpose of a such a corset was to flatten the breasts, rather than to accentuate them. Victorian corsets cinched the waist so much that women litterally died becuase of them.

Which reminds me...I need to make myself a new Elizabethan Corset this Ren season.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Lady Kathleen of Olmsted on August 03, 2012, 09:25:59 AM
What lovely photos at Mac's Pub. I recognize the lovely lady from the MNRF.

I would concur that an Elizabethan Corset would be better suited to be worn under this lovely gown. The purpose of a such a corset was to flatten the breasts, rather than to accentuate them. Victorian corsets cinched the waist so much that women litterally died becuase of them.

Which reminds me...I need to make myself a new Elizabethan Corset this Ren season.

Actually the cinched to death is a myth.   Also, not all women did the tight waist thing.  If anyone would like more information on the average waist size of a Victorian lady, please see my blog at http://extantgowns.blogspot.com   Since I've been collecting "everyday" gowns, I've found the average waist to be about 24" to 26" on dresses.  Today, the average corset should take you down about 4"; meaning these women were about 28" - 30" waists naturally - or what is actually only a size smaller than average today. 

Orphena

I would suggest the elizabethan corset as well - but I would do it without shoulder straps. I have been wearing such a corset for years, and I am well endowed, and NEVER lost my corset due to not having shoulder straps.
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

theChuck

Does anyone know of a place to buy an Elizabethan corset that isn't overly expensive? Seems the only ones I can find are upwards of $250.
The Renlist - find faires near you!

Kate XXXXXX

That actually sounds like a very reasonable price to pay for a decent pair of stays.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Addilay on August 02, 2012, 10:46:58 PM
Thank you for your comments and help. I have been looking at Orchard and I like the way their site lets me sort through their line of corsets and I really like their prices. I have tried to find regular under garments but can't seem to find a bra that gives me support and hidden straps. I wonder if a bridal store might be able to help?

Victoria's Secret has great bras with support.  And even the one in little, old Dubuque, IA, when I went in and the saleswoman asked me what I was looking for and I said support, she said, "Are you wearing this to a Renaissance Faire?"

I almost fell over that she even knew about faires, but she said people buy their bras all the time for that reason.  Look at some of the pictures I've posted, and you will see that they work!  At least until you can find a comfortable corset that's affordable, this is a good option.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich