Market Square > Ren Faire Camping

A travel trailer as my HOME

(1/3) > >>

deafdrummer:
Hello all!

I have been considering for several years whether to go on the road as a rennie.  I am looking for a small travel trailer that weighs under 3,000 lbs and has to be LIVED IN, so no pop-ups.  The best way to get the weight down under that limit so that I can carry gear and weigh no more than about 3300 lbs wet weight is to gut the interior and rebuild it with minimal furnishings, shelves with hangers (for dishware) and slots (for hand utensils), minimal cabinets with sliding doors instead of the full-featured stuff you find in travel trailers, and interior walls replaced with curtains on rods/tracks to save weight.  I want to minimize cabinetry (not to eliminate, but minimize their weight) as much as possible while giving myself as much storage space as possible. 

I'm thinking that I would like to recreate the structure of a post-Plague medieval peasant's house on the inside (while leaving the outside intact so as to not have questions about entry into RV parks in the off-season).  As far as the walls, floor, and ceiling is concerned, I'm going for the wattle-and-daub wall look with wood planks running the length of the trailer's ceiling with support ribs place every so many feet to create the "support" of the ceiling and finished in a way that it appears as though the ribs are sitting on top of the wall timbers and anchored with mortise-and-tenon 45-degree pieces joining the side walls with the ceiling like this in the Great Hall (but simplified for space limitations of the trailer) - http://www.pitt.edu/~caram/greathall.htm  In place of the normal wall material that lies directly under the wall paper, I'm considering using something light-weight that will have the texture and color of white-washed lime plaster applied to the surface of the walls spaces framed by the timber.  It looks like I will have to find very light-weight wood that is thin to create the frame of this interior facade.  It would only have to be glued in and stained to recreate the kind of timber found in such homes of that period.  The idea is to create a bit of the medieval feeling when I'm retired to my abode at faire.  This is not a new idea for me.  I have considered building complete interior facades like this for my apartment for several years and came up with basic free-standing framing ideas that would not touch nor alter the apartment structures while recreating the interior of either a Greek-era stone house or a log cabin, and now applying these ideas to changing the interior look of a travel trailer while minimizing its weight.

I have someone in mind to help me with the building of such a travel trailer, and my goal is to be out of my apartment by end-of-September.

Alerrick Afon Adou:
I would start with a airstream travel trailer and go from there. Airstreams are made for living in all year around. I have one(2001 excella) and love it................Huzzah

deafdrummer:
Too big and heavy - 2700-3000 lbs is the limit.  I'm pulling it with a LWB Jeep Wrangler rated for 3500 lbs.

The Rabbi:
Very cool idea finding the frame to fit the desired weight is going to be the fun part. What length are you trying to go with? I have used Mahogany plywood as it is light and takes just about any stain really nice. Great luck with the project oh also PVC and Refrigerater grates make good cabinetry.

deafdrummer:
I'm not sure yet, probably no more than 12-14 feet.  It's just me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version