News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

How far have you gone for faire?

Started by Valiss, July 17, 2008, 04:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert of armstrong

From Barrie, Ontario (an hour north of Toronto) to:

Sterling RenFest                      451 km, 280 miles, 4.5 hours, plus the delay at the border
Michigan RenFest                    480 km, 299 miles, 5 hours, plus the delay at the border
Great Lakes Medeival Faire        483 km, 300 miles, 5 hours, plus the delay at the border
Pennsylvania RenFest               787 km, 490 miles, 8.5 hours, plus blah blah blah
Ohio RenFest                          818 km, 508 miles, 8.5 hours
Maryland Renfest                     924 km, 577 miles, 10 hours

Our Home Faires are Sterling and Michigan, I suppose.

We have done there-Faire-back one day trips to Great Lakes, Michigan and Sterling, although a there-stay overnight-Faire-back format is preferred.
We have also done Ohio-Michigan three day weekends.
Maryland is usually a four day weekend, although we have done a Maryland-Pennsylvania four day weekend.
Always on the lookout for my next noble cause.

And because a flail don't need reloading, that's why.

Amras Elfwine

Severn, MD here, just south of Baltimore, just west of Annapolis, just north of D.C., sort of bracketed by a triangle of the three.

Farthest we've flown is to beautiful Waxahatchie for Scarby.
Farthest drive would be Raliegh for NCRF.

Headed for Delaware tomorrow...not far at all...
R/F member since 2004
"They say that men who go warring afield look ever to the next hope of food and of drink." ~Tolkien

"Who are you callin' plushy??" ~ Todd the Squirrel

Craigmeister

The farthest I've flown is from Tulsa to Houston or Denver.  I did several things on both of those trips though.  The farthest I've driven is 2 hours.  I too appreciate the drive.  I try to avoid turnpikes and take scenic backroads like Route 66.  I also play a Celtic cd during my trip to get in the mood.  Huzzah!
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Count Adolfo

From here in FL, I do MDRF every Labour Day... TNRF every Memorial Day and have done NYRF and King Richard's up in New England.
The home Faire is only 40 miles from home.

Kiss-me-Kate

I went to TRF a couple of years ago.  Otherwise I drove three hours to attend TWIG for one day last month.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

Bugsy

My home faire is 25 minutes away.  And the only other faire I've been to is GLMF, it was a 4 hour drive.
Elvish dragonfly
Castleteer
Bugs'n M'Crack Clan O'Maille
sister of Lady Pegos

Cap'n Hunnar Graybeard

We travel about 3.5 hours to get to either of the faires in St. Louis MO (GSTLRF) and Franklin TN (TNRF)

We also go to the Louisiana Renaissance Festival, which is about 8.5 hours.
IPB Clan Chieftain - Clan Williams (Kansas)
Crew of The Bayou Scoundrel
Landshark #58

eloquentXI

Home faire- Scarby is just an hour. But last summer, on the way with family, I stopped for CORF, which is a little over 700 miles about 12 hours. The trip to TRF last year took about 4 hours.

And for Rendevous next year, the plan is to fly to Maryland...and that'll about 1400 miles. Can't wait!
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: Welsh Wench on July 17, 2008, 07:41:06 PM
TN--about 650 miles.

*at first I read this 'how far have you gone AT faire?'  :o

ROFL--i read it the same  way  Wenchie.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: Lady de Laney on July 17, 2008, 08:30:06 PM
Quote from: Valiss on July 17, 2008, 05:08:39 PM
At that point, and with gas the way it is, wouldn't it just be cheaper/faster to fly?

Yes it is cheaper, but how do you get a Farthingale and swords on a plane and all the garb. When you where a noble dress that fills a storage box on it's own, then that makes it harder.Toki and I plan on finding 2 to join us. So far we have 1 almost definate and 1 possible. The gas for each is much less than a flight. A flght non stop is about $250 one way, then there is a rental car from Houstan to TRF and back and forth as we are sleeping in a hotel that we we get better rst and can have hot showers.

In the end driving is cheaper. Now if it was me all alone, flying would be it and I'd have to find me another plane just to cary my dress LOL

LOL girlfriend , and first officer...is that why the ship has been tilting to one side lately..all those  gowns  you have aboard ! ;D ;D

Lets see Sterling is a 2 hour drive    from where I live.
New York Ren faire is 6 hours.
Pennslyvannia is 7 to 8 hour.But we usually make a mini vacation out of it and stay the weekend.
I hope to add some other faires to the agenda next year.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

AnyuBoo

From Windsor, Ontario, our home Faire (MIRF) is only about an hour away, plus whatever delay we get at the border.  We haven't been to any other Faires so far because of work and funds, but eventually we do hope to give MayFaire and Silver Leaf a try.
When everything seems to be coming your way...
...you're in the wrong lane!

Escarlata

*chuckling* if we only count driving, that's Tennessee to date (10 hours). TRF is in the plans for this year and we're pretty sure that driving will be the mode of transportation.

Our "big" home faire is BARF (7 weekends), a 2 hour drive each way and we're there as often as possible. Our small home faire (only one weekend) is Lady of the Lakes which is only 10 minutes.
Esc be no lady!
Bringing Good and Bad Dreams...as appropriate
FaireNews-spreading the Joy of Faire, one post at a time

Hatter

The furthest we have traveled is CRF 950mi from Rochester MN.  We usually go to Bristol once each year 320mi.  Our home fair is MRF only 100mi.  The new WIRF is 110 so we go there once a year too.

Alacrity

We flew from Toronto to Maryland for the Renn fest there. Next time we will drive though so we can bring back more loot. Thinking of traveling either to Michigan or Sterling next year.
Trust me, I'm a Dungeon Master

Kimba Nevil

I guess the farthest we have traveled for fair had to be last year.  Went from Houston to Bristol via Gatlinburg, TN.
Landshark #80