News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need Men's Boots!

Started by Dinobabe, January 10, 2015, 01:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobabe

I am need of some men's boots around size 6.5-7, I wear a women's 8.5 tennis shoe.  I have had the hardest time finding any that small!  I want to use them for Civil War reenacting as well as Ren Faire so I can't use anything that screams faire (no matter how beautiful they are!).  Thank you!!!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

isabelladangelo

I'm going to guess you mean the American Civil War - which is a VERY different time period than the Renaissance.  The footwear between the two look radically different as does every aspect of the clothing.  I love fugawee shoes.  I have their 18th C shoes - two different pairs- so I can't speak directly to the 19th century but I have yet to hear anything bad about their shoes.  I wear a pair of dolce vita boots I got a couple of years ago.  I don't see them for sale in your size but these are the ones I have and love.  No zipper, the heel looks stacked, all suede and very comfy. 

Dinobabe

Thank you for the link.
Yes, they are very different time periods.  But as far as a standard boot goes there are enough similarities to make it work, especially since the pant leg will cover the boot for Civil War.

This is a Civil War cavalry boot:

This is what I often see at faire:
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Rowan MacD

Keep an eye out at Payless, Walmart and Target-seriously-I've seen women's boots that look a lot like this; and sometimes all you have to do is remove some junk, and decorations to find a good match.
  Hubby has some very nice black suede knee boots which he uses with his noble gear-(he cannot have boots with any kind of insole or arch support)-Ladies size 11 at Walmart for about $20.00.   
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

My worry is that the Civil War folks tend to be a 1000 times stricter than anyone in the Renn Faire or even the SCA.  I'd go and buy a pair of Civil War boots and just get a pair of Mary Janes to wear to the Renn Faire.  (I throw my Mary Janes/Chinese Slippers in the washing machine the second I get home)   Mary Janes are cheap (sometimes as low as $5 but mostly $9 now) and it would be worth your while to spend the money on the Civil War Boots instead.  Fugawee has some women's boots (towards the bottom of the page I linked to previously) that will work for a solider as well.   

Dinobabe

Quote from: Rowen MacD on January 13, 2015, 05:22:20 PM
Keep an eye out at Payless, Walmart and Target-seriously-I've seen women's boots that look a lot like this; and sometimes all you have to do is remove some junk, and decorations to find a good match.
  Hubby has some very nice black suede knee boots which he uses with his noble gear-(he cannot have boots with any kind of insole or arch support)-Ladies size 11 at Walmart for about $20.00.

That's awesome!  I have found several pairs at goodwill and such places over the years.  Unfortunately the fashion boots don't last long.  I am hoping to find a good long lasting pair.

Quote from: isabelladangelo on January 13, 2015, 06:24:56 PM
My worry is that the Civil War folks tend to be a 1000 times stricter than anyone in the Renn Faire or even the SCA.  I'd go and buy a pair of Civil War boots and just get a pair of Mary Janes to wear to the Renn Faire.  (I throw my Mary Janes/Chinese Slippers in the washing machine the second I get home)   Mary Janes are cheap (sometimes as low as $5 but mostly $9 now) and it would be worth your while to spend the money on the Civil War Boots instead.  Fugawee has some women's boots (towards the bottom of the page I linked to previously) that will work for a solider as well.

We call them stitch counters!!!  My group is very laid back, no worries there.  ;)  I wish I could buy some actual Civil War boots, I have been trying them on for years but they are always too big!  And they don't make women's versions.  :'(
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com