News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Food... The grub we're dying for.

Started by Laird Fraser of Lovatt, July 26, 2015, 05:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Ahhh... An old but fresh topic.  Like a well aged cheese. ;D

What delightful dish are we all looking forward to?  There are so many with so little time in faire.  I'm open to ideas for camp food as well... ;)

ROYAL BURGER! 
Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Lady Mac

Actually; older version of some Renaissance food I crave every year. Remember when Scotch Eggs were fried
and not baked? Someone, probably with no taste buds and healthy intentions, decided the "good for you" cholesterol-filled boiled egg and fat-loaded country sausage needed a few grams less fat and decided all of them would be baked.
The result was an instant 1/2 gratification of what once was a joyous experience. If I wanted to eat healthy at a Faire, I'd have a bottle of "red" in one hand and a head of cabbage in the other.
Lady Mac's Horns, Canes @ Staffs
Every Lord needs a good stick...
Every Lady too.

PollyPoPo

I really wish we had "like" buttons for comments.

Baked scotch eggs  :o
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

LadyJessica

Always love the prime rib trencher...and the alligator...and the crepes...well most everything I've tried out there.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: Lady Mac on July 26, 2015, 06:01:19 PM
Actually; older version of some Renaissance food I crave every year. Remember when Scotch Eggs were fried
and not baked? Someone, probably with no taste buds and healthy intentions, decided the "good for you" cholesterol-filled boiled egg and fat-loaded country sausage needed a few grams less fat and decided all of them would be baked.
The result was an instant 1/2 gratification of what once was a joyous experience. If I wanted to eat healthy at a Faire, I'd have a bottle of "red" in one hand and a head of cabbage in the other.

Yeah, I'm not sure who did the Scotch Eggs such a dis-service but they need a bath in batter and a short dip in boiling oil...
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

RenStarr

I always look forward to whatever Capt. Sin throws together on Friday night of AHE.  Doesn't matter what he puts together, it's always good!  Last year he made a huge pot of Jambalaya and it was better then what most Cajun restaurants put out. 
I remember seeing something here about BS not being there for AHE this year.  Say it ain't so!   :(
Spiced rum....hmmmmm
Greetings, try this.
Starr Gazzer.
2013 TRF AHE RenNado.....heck of a night

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: LadyJessica on July 27, 2015, 08:15:07 AM
Always love the prime rib trencher...and the alligator...and the crepes...well most everything I've tried out there.

I finally tried the Welsh Fish-n-Chips last year... new "must have" favorite.
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

Quote from: RenStarr on July 27, 2015, 10:15:27 AM
I always look forward to whatever Capt. Sin throws together on Friday night of AHE.  Doesn't matter what he puts together, it's always good!  Last year he made a huge pot of Jambalaya and it was better then what most Cajun restaurants put out. 
I remember seeing something here about BS not being there for AHE this year.  Say it ain't so!   :(

They'll be there... it was just the way that Jess moved info from last year's Who, What, When thread...
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

KeeperoftheBar

I have to agree with both Fraser and RenStarr.  The Welsh Fish and Chips have been a must have for me for several years.  Generally from the Prince of Wales.
And Cap't Sin's cooking was fantastic last year.  Course, it always is.  Only part of the joy of sharing with the Bayou Scoundrels.  (They also tell good stories...Ask about the helmet)

One of my "must have" foods for opening weekend is a BIG DILL PICKLE!  (I tell myself it is to replace salt that I sweated out but my cardiologist might not agree)  HAZZAH to the Pickle Man!
Landshark # 97
Member, Phoenix Risen

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

It's like getting a fix... if I have one Royal Burger, I'm good for the season.

The Polish Variety platter is tops, too...if you like Polish food.

And if I'm going home afterwards, I'm in no-freaking-way allowed into the Greek area.  Lamb & beef gyros.... NOM NOM NOM.

Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

LadyJessica

Oh Fraser, Thank you for reminding me of the Souvlaki...That's a must have for me as well.
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

For those who love Kielbasa & Perogies, and want to have some of the same faire food during the off season...

http://www.poloniarestaurant.com/ 

Family run, right here in Houston.

Now, as for camp food... I usually end up drinking my dinner.  ;D  Everyone sucked down on the beef stew I made AHE, so I guess that turned out ok. I mean a whole 10qt pot was eaten, so I'm guessing people liked it(or were too drunk to care). ;)
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God

LadyJessica

Quote from: Laird Fraser of Lovatt on July 28, 2015, 06:11:09 AM
For those who love Kielbasa & Perogies, and want to have some of the same faire food during the off season...

http://www.poloniarestaurant.com/ 

Family run, right here in Houston.

Now, as for camp food... I usually end up drinking my dinner.  ;D  Everyone sucked down on the beef stew I made AHE, so I guess that turned out ok. I mean a whole 10qt pot was eaten, so I'm guessing people liked it(or were too drunk to care). ;)

I bit of both probably...  ;)
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP

JackGonzo, MD

Used to LOVE the greek noodles and then they got cheap and started using spaghetti noodles. :-(
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Laird Fraser of Lovatt

When I land grab, I usually do burgers, sausage & hot dogs, for dinner, on Thursday night.  What ever is left over the following morning gets chopped up and tossed into a skillet with eggs.  Add some cheese & tortillas or fried bread and you have a dawn fry to help with the hangover.   ;D

There are some people on R/F that can remember the "Year of the Fires" and the monsoonal, ice cold rains that rolled in Thursday night, AHE.  Ten of us standing under my canopy, grilling mushroom & Gouda cheese stuffed burgers & venison sausage, on a camp stove.  Nasty night but the food & company was fantastic.  ;)
Alba gu brath
Laird of Dunans Castle
Warrior Poet/Loki God