News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I spent the Weekend at TRF

Started by Randal, August 11, 2008, 11:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randal

I spent the weekend camping out and attending the jobfaire at TRF. :) It was great getting to hang out with old friends, and making new ones. We also got to wander the fairgrounds going "ooh and aah" over the changes. No, I won't tell you what they are and spoil the surprises. ;) I even got to go through the gardens, something I haven't done since the year they opened.

We had a good turnout both Saturday and Sunday. I believe that everybody who truly wanted a job found one, and that all of the employers in attendance hired full crews. That doesn't mean that there aren't jobs to be had still. Several vendors don't attend jobfaire, and we typically loose several before Dress Rehearsal weekend, and more after opening weekend.

The grounds looked good, but Grimes County is under a burn ban due to the lack of rain. Hopefully we'll get some rain between now and Opening Weekend, or the grounds are going to get awfully dusty once we get some foot traffic through there.

I didn't visit Patron's Camping, so I can't really say anything about the conditions there. I'll take a swing through there in a few weeks and post an update.

The Quickee Mart will be returning this year, so hopefully there will be plenty of ice, and other odds and ends, without having to leave the campgrounds.

Looking forward to October,
Randal
Vive Ut Vive

Blue66669

Well Randal, I'll be out there this weekend, working on some of our own renovations.

When is it that people start *really* showing up there to get things together?
Blaidd Drwg

Randal

Mid September. Nothing like waiting till the last minute. ;)

I did notice a few people working on their booths, but nothing like what we'll see Dress Rehearsal Weekend.

Randal
Vive Ut Vive

Just Randall

Actually, rehearsals start this weekend, so performance company will be on site for the duration.

Yes, we really are that close to opening weekend!!
Mediocrity is the refuge of the unimaginative...

Randal

Yeah, we hold training for new hires every weekend, but I was referring to the construction/renovation of shops. That seems to reach a peak about mid September.

I won't be there for the next two weekends, my son and his fiance' are coming to visit, but I'll be out for at least a couple of weekends before Opening Day. It's just too much fun watching it all come together. Kinda like decorating the Christmas Tree. ;D

Randal

Vive Ut Vive

PurpleDragon

While I'm not planning on being there this weekend.. I believe the following weekend I should be, but have to check with the boss lady (wife) and see what is on the agenda for us.
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.

ravic

I'll probably be out next weekend too. Since we did a lot of renovation a coupla years ago, I doubt we'll have to do more than air out the booth & get it ready for cleaning & stocking.

What amazes me is the road rennies that show up at midnight before opening to a completely trashed out booth & manage to get all shiney by cannon. I'm thinking pixie dust there...

Lady Laura

You know it's close when all you great participants start posting about attending rehearsals and repairing booths!!!!!!  ;D

I haven't been as enthusiastic about opening as I normally am this time of year, mainly because of problems with my own attendance dates and the fact that I'm having trouble with my new garb.  I know, I know, I should get over it!  So....thanks for your posts.  :-*  It really does help get me motivated!
"Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk."
-Sir Francis Chichester

Blue66669

So, shall we have a roll call for the boothies and participants? Might be nice to know where our fellow participants will be...
Blaidd Drwg

PurpleDragon

Well, I'm planning on being out there the weekend of the 23rd and 24th myself.  I shouldn't be too difficult to find :)
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.