News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A little discussion I had this week and thought I would share...

Started by Trouble with Friends, August 25, 2008, 12:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trouble with Friends

So, here I am in Bristol.

I walk by the bulletin board by the shower house, and I see a bumper sticker to the effect of "McCain means four more years of Bush" and I started to ponder...

Most people who now of me would think I was a conservative, but most people who know me know I am a Libertarian with slight conservative leanings.

...so my pondering brought up a conversation a few days later at coffee with a couple of friends, and some aquantances. I posed the question "If I were to put up an Anti-Obama bumper sticker under the anti McCain one, how long do you think it would take before it was either defaced or torn down?"

The concensus was that I would be lucky if I even got the thing applied before someone pushed me out of the way and shredded it!

Now keep in mind, I live on the road, and most people I come into contact with on a daily basis are of a very liberal view, including half the people at coffee that morning.

Which left me to wonder, why is it that a bumper sticker that I personally find offensive could remain untouched, while hypothetically another with the same rhetoric would be destroyed?

Does it show that I am more tolerant of others peoples rights that I would leave it up (as far as I know its still there), Or I am so outnumbered that odds are there is a bigger chance of there being a hbiger percentage of extreme liberals that would tear down my sticker?

If the community were mostly conservative, would that bumper sticker have remained up? Makes me wonder....

anne of oaktower

aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."