News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire no place for the easily offended

Started by Lord Virgil, August 26, 2008, 03:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Virgil

The rumor mill was flying on Sunday with news that one of the guys near the joust that sells the candied nuts was fired because he offended some woman when he asked her if she wanted to sample his nuts.  Now maybe there is more to this story (as stories through the grapevine usually are short on all the details), but if this is true I'm not happy.  Good innuendo laced fun is part of what makes faire enjoyable. 

Next, are they going to stop the musicians from performing songs with mildly suggestive themes, disallow kilt inspections, impart bodice regulations, etc...?  I'm a happily married man, but I enjoy flirting with the women and even get a kick out of being harassed by certain flamboyant male cast memebers for my colorful costumes.  I have never been offended at the faire!

In this world of overwhelming political correctness, the faire is one place where it's still ok to be an adult and have a little adult fun.  If this is the direction our faire is going, it's a sad, sad day!
Nothing better in life than enjoying a pint amongst friends...Huzzah!

Yrose

Quote from: Lord Virgil on August 26, 2008, 03:39:39 PM
The rumor mill was flying on Sunday with news that one of the guys near the joust that sells the candied nuts was fired because he offended some woman when he asked her if she wanted to sample his nuts.  Now maybe there is more to this story (as stories through the grapevine usually are short on all the details), but if this is true I'm not happy.  Good innuendo laced fun is part of what makes faire enjoyable. 

Next, are they going to stop the musicians from performing songs with mildly suggestive themes, disallow kilt inspections, impart bodice regulations, etc...?  I'm a happily married man, but I enjoy flirting with the women and even get a kick out of being harassed by certain flamboyant male cast members for my colorful costumes.  I have never been offended at the faire!

In this world of overwhelming political correctness, the faire is one place where it's still ok to be an adult and have a little adult fun.  If this is the direction our faire is going, it's a sad, sad day!

I totally agree! Tis half the fun of faire.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Capt. Morgan

Our Faire has a "Warning" sign telling folks that this is a natural setting and be mindful of roots and rocks...In other words...don't sue us if you're clumsy and trip and fall.... ::)

I always said if I owned a Faire my "Disclaimer" would consist of something akin to:

"If you are easily offended go the F*** home!!"

Now, granted, there is a difference between "bawdy" and "sleezy" and there descretion needs to come into play but Come on, folks...who HASN'T heard some reference to the "King's Nuts" while at Faire?? It's catering to these mamby pamby types that really waters down people's intelligence...people like this are the reason we have instructions on shampoo....

"OH...I was supposed to WET my hair first?? THEN rinse??"
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

nliedel

Hmmm, I have not heard that, but he's been doing that bit for years and I was playing off him two Saturday's ago, agreeing he dids't have fine nuts indeed. I hope this is just that, a rumor. As Ample and Trite say, "if your kids get the jokes, it's not our fault."

Also they'd have to fire all the pickle vendors, most of the cast and many of the acts. He had candied nuts out, he asked her to sample his nuts. That is not at all offensive, unless you let it be. My kids would just think that he had nuts for sale and wondered if you wanted to try them.

This is me speaking as me. I have not heard this, know nothing about it and am not going ask about it cause I gots other stuffs on my mind this week. I hope someone disavows, or there is much more to this story.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Cyron

boo... i thought he was quite funny.. but i did hear that he was no longer there that day.. did not know he might have been fired.. even the pickle guys (me and pickles dont agree though) are hilarious i think.. reminds me of the girl that flipped off sealclubber for his chocolate banana joke as she walked by eating it.. her friend actually turned to appologize.. i think if i owned a faire i would have a sign like capt. morgan though.. lol
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!

LadyAnn

They have always asked if you would like to sample their nuts. They lady should just stayed home. :P
"Castleteer"
"Buccaneer Anne Campbell"  ~ "Sailing Master of the Relentless"
"Stitch'n M'Crack"

serenamoonsilver

I can see someone unfamilar with faire culture (and no sense of humor) getting offended.  However, it seems a bit overkill to fire him (if its true).  I mean, its not like he just came up with that on his own--that schtick has been around for awhile and I'm sure he was asked to do it when he was hired.

Captain Cornelius Howard Duckman

My understanding, from talking to people who were involved:

The line given was "Well, as long as your enjoyng that 12 inches of meat, why don't you try a sack of my nuts?" said to a gentleman patron holding a turkey drumstick.

The patron complained to faire management, who went to the sellers bosses and asked that he be fired. When his employers refused (the gentleman in question is wheelchair bound, and has been working with them for many years) Managment responded by banning him from the site.

That's the rumor as it reached my ears.

And yeah, as said above, I got flipped off for telling a girl it was good to see a woman enjoying a bannana. But, she was the lone mundane in a group of participatrons, i figure she must have been getting hassled all day.

Celtic Lady

I'm so sad to hear these rumors. I truly hope that neither versions were true. All this political correctness is offending to me  >:(. I'm so tired of having to worry about making someone unhappy because of something I've said or done. Life is hard enough without having to watch my P's and Q's, dot my i's and cross my T's. People just need to grow up and not be so touchy. Faire is supposed to be fun. Having to worry about all this manure will certainly make things stiff and stuffy and un-fun.

nliedel

I heard far worse from a mundanly dress mundane who told me to _________ insert bad word here_______ for complimenting her boots.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Cyron

that just makes no sence to me at all.. i mean if you break it down.. its perfectly fine to say that to any one in that situation.. reguardless of age or gender.

"enjoyng that 12 inches of meat" - those turkey legs are a giant stick of meat, never measured them, but seem to be about 8 inches to 12 inches.

"why don't you try a sack of my nuts?" - dude sells nuts in a plastic bag/sack..

not cool at all if he was totally banned for that.. hopefuly it as maybe just for the day.. or something.
I'm walking in a dream half the time, and sleeping through reality the other half.
Warning: Have camera, WILL Shoot!!

Lord Virgil

sealclubber, if that is a true account of what happened, I would appreciate someone giving me the fair management's contact person to complain to for his re-instatement.  I will not sit idly by whilst someone is being kicked in the nuts (pun intended) for doing what he was most likely told to do in the first place!  Political correctness has no place at Faire!

"If your kids get the jokes, it's not our fault"  That is a great quote, Ample and Trite RULE!

Nothing better in life than enjoying a pint amongst friends...Huzzah!

Lady Gwyndolyn

I have spoken directly to "Show" who was working with the hawker in question and that is what happend.  The hawker is banned from MiRF and ALL of the nut sellers as well as the Pickle people are no longer permitted to speak any words that might be taken in offense.  What next, no Bocca, no Washing Wenches, no Rogues??????

There goes the faire!!!!!
Lady Gwyndolyn
Duchess of Kearsley

Capt. Morgan

Give me a friggin' break! I hate being served a slice of "white bread" Mundania at Faire. "Bawdy talk" that is witty and doesn't involve any 4 letter words and actually makes you think should be encouraged and management should not bow to the whiny weed puller complaints of a few that ruin it for the rest of us who are mature enough to get "grown up humor"....Obviously British humor would send them screaming into the night....
I can be one of those "bad things" that happen to bad people.

Thumper

Quote from: Lady Gwyndolyn on August 27, 2008, 11:08:51 AM
I have spoken directly to "Show" who was working with the hawker in question and that is what happend.  The hawker is banned from MiRF and ALL of the nut sellers as well as the Pickle people are no longer permitted to speak any words that might be taken in offense.  What next, no Bocca, no Washing Wenches, no Rogues??????

There goes the faire!!!!!

This is terrible!!  I love having the witty "Bawdy" talk from the nuts/pickle guys!  Where does it stop from this point?!  The acts, the cast (no more cleveage it is offensive)?!  Give me a break.  Whoever complained should have been told to lighten up!!