News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Has God Been Banished From The Shire?

Started by BubbleWright, August 27, 2008, 04:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleWright

After the Queen has arrived at the Gate and just before she enters the Shire, the cry goes up 'Long Live The Queen!'. Whatever happened to 'God Save The Queen!' ? This just doesn't seem right, like taking 'Under God,' out of the Pledge of Allegiance. What's the story behind this? Hopefully not PC  or bowing to someone's sensitivities.

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

maddog00

I swear at Queen's Court on Saturday morning they said God Save the Queen, but maybe that's what my ears wanted to hear...

BubbleWright

They are actually using both phrases. At opening 'Long Live The Queen!' is used. For me, it's not only the meaning and sentiment, it is also the sound. The hard 'G' in God is much more forceful and resounding than the 'L' in Long. Right now, yell out GOD, and then yell out LONG. Hear what I mean.

"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

McGuinness

The phrase "God Save the Queen" has in no way been banished from or left the shire. Alternatives like "Long Live the Queen" and "Long Live England" and being used more for a few reasons, like adding some variety to the mix and so that when "God Save the Queen" is used, it does have that greater impact and deeper meaning. After hearing GStQ all day long, people tend to tune it out. Adding some variety helps people to "hear" it again and helps to stop it from becoming some automatic response to seeing the crown walk by.

Its not political, its just an entertainment choice made by the directors to freshen up the sounds around the grounds. You'll still hear and see GStQ around the grounds a lot during the day - now there are just more responses re-entering the mix. Its a good observation though that you are hearing different, new sounds.

Dirtfarmer

Very good point... GStQ does start to become a kind of knee jerk reaction that just kind of comes out without much thought once you've become engrained in that saying.  I'm glad to hear the other are being worked int.

Conrad Killigan

FaireGirl69

- Dolores in PA

"If they outlaw guns, can we go back to using swords?" - bumper sticker saying

RicKim

I'm glad they have worked in the other new phrease, "I...shove you." :D
Sir Richard and Lady Kimberly Anne of Astonia

kcdcchef

Quote from: RicKim on October 28, 2008, 09:37:17 AM
I'm glad they have worked in the other new phrease, "I...shove you." :D

oh wow, during the utter silence during the finale in song, some lone dude belted out "i shove you", my goodness it was so darn funny, all the actors had to laugh.

i heard god save the queen over and over and over again all day. so i do not feel as though god has been banished from mount hope.

Matty Pine Brownie

As an outsider to inland Cornwall, I hear GStQ and think and ask my wife, "from What?"

Maybe that is the short hand. What is the "from what" this time?
There is a "from what?" that is always there. Just getting an answer to it is another matter.  ;)

MPB
Rogues and Pollywogs! Where is the Brownie?