News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Defining "Not Period"

Started by groomporter, September 11, 2008, 08:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groomporter

This is just something tongue-in-cheek (i.e. not intended to be snarky) that I was once writing about the different ways things can be historically incorrect at Renaissance fairs or historical reenactments. I think I had posted on the old version of RF.com, and thought it might be fun to repost it

My wife and I started out participating at a Renaissance fair with a living history group that had a heavy educational goal. I eventually started writing this as a way to explain to other novice historical reenactors that even though an artifact existed in the century you portray, it does not mean that it is an appropriate accessory for a historical reenactor portraying that era.

This is just meant in good fun, paying customers can, and often do attend Renaissance fairs, (and occasionally reenactment events) in whatever is street legal in the local community. In fact, some of the most outlandish costumes at Renaissance fair are actually paying customers who are just playing dress-up for the day. Examples of some of the unusual patrons at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival can be seen on this website: http://mrffriends.tripod.com/pages_groups/unusual_patrons.html

Sub-Definitions of "That's not Period":

"Close, but wrong continent": Something that can clearly be documented during the time period, but comes from so far away geographically you have to create a extremely unlikely story to explain it. -A Highlander carrying a Samurai's katana.

"Close, but wrong class": Something that was being made during the time, but was rare, or so expensive that it could only be afforded by the most wealthy individuals of the time.

"Name that Stereotype": Items that reflect the stereotyped "traditional" dress of a country. -Wearing modern kilts and the accompanying Victorian accoutrements in the Renaissance.

"Ancient History -when in Rome...": Something that went out of fashion so long ago it was unlikely to be seen outside of some noble's collection of antiquities.

Century-impaired (Era-impaired): Dressing historically accurate for one century and attending an event that portrays another century. An acquaintance described attending a Scottish festival, and watching a couple dressed in American Civil War clothing trying to "blend in" with a group of Highlanders.

"Gerry's not dead -I talk to him whenever I flashback!" Tie-dye, hippie-wear, or anything that dates from the Johnson or Nixon "reigns".

"Frodo/Jack Sparrow Lives!" Swords, costumes or other accoutrements straight out of any popular fantasy or adventure movie.

"A Novel Approach to history" Your "documentation" for that comes from a work of fiction?!?
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?

Zaubon

Come to TRF! These are all normal. Luckily I've never managed to get any photos of the "unusual". (I tend to be in too much shock to reach for the camera until after their gone.)

groomporter

They're probably "normal" at most older big fairs  ;D  I just figured it would be fun to have some definitions.

Lady Nicolette

By cracky, when I started at Faires *adjusts blue hair*, we wouldn't be caught dead with a camera.  I still feel funny if I carry one or take a photo, which I will do on rare occasions.   :)
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

nliedel

There is not a preponderance of lice. I've never seen anyone at faire constantly scratching their heads :)

My garb is cotton. Affordable for me now, but not then. I'd love linen and will have my linen camicia's next year, but not this one.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

sealion

As long as the vendors at faire are allowed to sell lace petal skirts, Victorian corsets in Chinese brocade, and floral tapestry bodices with a gazillon metal grommets that what unsuspecting patron will continue to wear.
Cindy/Ciana Leonardi di Firenze/Captain Cin

brier patch charlie

I'll be the first to admit that I'm Century-imparied, My guarb is more 1680s-1745 than 1580. I like wearing a Kilt. To bad we can't have a faire thats in the time of James I or Charles I or Charles II maybe even James II that would be something new. Just think of all the Great cloths we could wear.
Charles Coleman

groomporter

Yeah same here. Since we were with a 30 Years War group originally, most of my stuff tends to be closer to early 17th century.

RumbaRue

Sealion, you hit the nail on the head!

It irks me that faires that are so damn strict on their costuming ideals for their participants, yet let virtually 'modern day' materials, non-period garb, and so on, aren't regulated to the same rules. This is why you have so many people dressing in obvious non-period stuff. Since the vendors aren't subject to the same rules as participants...there's no real push to do 'period'. Let's face it, you want everything period correct, you have to start with the vendors.

Ok now that I have supported the 'do the correct period', now I will go into the non-period support. (I do both types)

When you have any kind of Ren-faire/pirate type events, people love to dress up in their favorite stuff - I'm no exception.
It's like Halloween year-round, and pretty much anything goes. For me, comfort is on top of the list, especially in hot weather.
In my situation I have to use a scooter to get around, even wearing properly period garb, do you still think I look 'period'? Nope, which is why for me, I decided to go the comic route and do what I call, 'Hysterically Correct'. It works for me, I decorate my scooter with fish netting and shells, add a skeleton to the front and it makes people more likely to strike up a conversation with me- something that I have noticed people really don't do with the handicapped.

So there you have my three cents worth.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

renren

I'm unashamedly a pirate! ;D
I try not to take all inspirations from movies, but a little from this, a little from that!
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

BubbleWright

This weekend at the PARenFaire I saw one earnest young fellow wearing very shiny chrome plated armor from head to toe. When I first spied him from afar, I immediately thought "It's the Tin Man!". I will give him this... he certainly had "heart" to clank around (literally!) all day in his costume.
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Carl Heinz

I admit to playing the period when presented with, for my character, uptime figures.  Today, I was greeted by a young lady dressed and Pipi Longstocking.  She asked me if I knew who she was by saying that she was the daughter of the pirate king.  I didn't have the heart to explain to her that I knew about privateers such as Sir Francis and pirates such as the corsairs, but that I'd not heard of the pirtate king.  I did agree that she was wearing long stockings.  I did relent later in the day by greeting her as Pipi. :)

It's a bit of a call.  The visitors should not be constrained, but we sometimes have difficulty interacting while remaining in period.  Don't criticize the visitors.  Play with them.  Our job is to make sure they have a good time and want to come back.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Ranna

There is a man at the MDRF who looks EXACTLY like Jack Sparrow - acts just like him too.

Me, I get 99% of my garb from Moresca...not sure what or whom exactly they are trying to copy.  I just like the look of it.
"The lasses have got to respect a man who can blow, finger and squeeze all at the same time." - Anonymous bagpipe player

Carl Heinz

Quote from: The Frog Lady on September 14, 2008, 11:29:09 PM
There is a man at the MDRF who looks EXACTLY like Jack Sparrow - acts just like him too.
Last year at RPFS, we counted five different Jack Sparrows in the space of a half hour.  All had the requisite hair, garb, and makeup.
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Carl Heinz on September 15, 2008, 10:51:39 AM
Quote from: The Frog Lady on September 14, 2008, 11:29:09 PM
Last year at RPFS, we counted five different Jack Sparrows in the space of a half hour.  All had the requisite hair, garb, and makeup.
Well I must say that CoRF's own CaptJack is a spitting image of said pirate. He walks, talks, acts, dresses and SOUNDS just like the Good Cap'n. But alas I have seen my share of the Cap'n at faire. You could have Captain Jack in limbo with all the other Captain Jacks walking around.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e