News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Camp showers.

Started by Capn Zeph, October 01, 2008, 07:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capn Zeph

Howdy all -- new to this forum and all that...

I've been trying to read all the earlier posts regarding camping at TRF, and, of course, the posted rules for the campground, and I've found plenty of hints about what I'm wondering, but no one has come right out and answered it straight, so I'll ask it my ownself. 

Are camp showers allowed in the camp ground...?  I wonder mainly because that shower water tends to run off somewhere on the ground, which may be against the rules, but I've not been able to find an outright yes or no about showers in general.

Thanks for any help, and I'll look for folks at the Faire, whether we end up camping or not (rooms are hard to come by at this point, as I'm sure many of you know).

Cap'n Zephaniah W. Nash
The pen is mightier than the sword -- until you get hit with the sword.

Molden

Yup. Lots of folks use em (praise the gods) out there. The soil is very sandy and it drains pretty well.
Cat-like & Mercurial

Reliably Unreliable

Capn Zeph

Thanks, Molden!

I suspected that was the case, but an actual confirmation helps immensely.

savannahrobinson

Yup to showers! Huzzah!

Beware tho. The place is infested with millipedes, they don't bite, but they are attracted to water - and if you step on them its icky, and they stink. :)

mpullen

The best way to position a camp shower is adjacent to some bushes, where the shower is uphill of the bushes. That way you get a bit of privacy on that side, plus the water drains into the bushes and not someone elses tent.

My shower enclosure and Coleman water heater/pump made life tolerable during those hot first few weekends. Now that I have the trailer, I set up the shower for anyone to use (just bring your water).

KiltedPrivateer

Heres a question - I just bought a shower and enclosure.  However, its the hanging type.  What have y'all used to hang these enclosures if your site does not include a tree?  I was pondering using conduit and building a stand.  Any other ideas.  I don't have a truck yet so the use of the bed is not an option.

Thanks,

Michael
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

mpullen

Quote from: KiltedPrivateer on October 03, 2008, 12:37:31 PM
Heres a question - I just bought a shower and enclosure.  However, its the hanging type.  What have y'all used to hang these enclosures if your site does not include a tree?  I was pondering using conduit and building a stand.  Any other ideas.  I don't have a truck yet so the use of the bed is not an option.

Thanks,

Michael

Come down to the Gnome encampment (rows 2 and 3 along the road). You can look over the commercial stand I bought with my shower enclosure (which could also hang from a tree). It might give you some ideas.

KiltedPrivateer

I'll do that, but I kinda need something for opening weekend.  How much did your stand run ya.  Does the Outdoor World carry them?
Lover of Lady Kitara

Capn Zeph

I've seen hanging showers somewhere (I think Cheaper than Dirt, but can't find them on their website now), basically a combined shower and privacy stall.

I've seen elsewhere -- almost anywhere, really, that sells any camping stuff -- small "utility tents" that are basically the size and shape of a small port-a-john that we're planning on using for our shower stall.  They run from $20 to $30 hereabouts.

*Teach*

Quote from: KiltedPrivateer on October 03, 2008, 02:34:19 PM
I'll do that, but I kinda need something for opening weekend.  How much did your stand run ya.  Does the Outdoor World carry them?
Outdoor world does have them and also academy
They can be bought from fairly cheap on up to fairly pricey... your option lol
If your that close to mine, your welcome to come and use it as well (as long as we aren't in it lol)

*might charge you rum admission for it*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

KiltedPrivateer

Guess I'll have to run over to Outdoor World and Academy *Darn the bad luck* and see what they've got.  I've already got the shower and privacy stall - I just need a way to hang it if I can't a tree in my camp site. 

I suppose I could just bring a tree with me.  But what a pain that would be.  And then everyone would want to borrow it.  And you know not everyone would be as gentle with my tree as I am... Hmmm
Lover of Lady Kitara

RenRobin

Quote from: KiltedPrivateer on October 03, 2008, 04:56:16 PM
  And then everyone would want to borrow it.  And you know not everyone would be as gentle with my tree as I am... Hmmm

Kilted you is a funny one!!! :D :D
Loki-terr (in training)

savannahrobinson

We don't come every weekend. But we bring a full shower with HOT water. :)
And between 65 and 300 gallons of water - depends on the rest of the packing.

I know that this year we will be camping the weekend of Nov. 01.
You're welcome to come take a splash. :)

ScoutColt

something else easy to do, just dig a small sump next to your shower, it'll help it drain just a bit faster and keep it a bit neater.

KiltedPrivateer

Quote from: savannahrobinson on October 03, 2008, 08:31:36 PM
We don't come every weekend. But we bring a full shower with HOT water. :)
And between 65 and 300 gallons of water - depends on the rest of the packing.

Ah, that brings up another quandary of mine, How do y'all usually transport that much water?
Lover of Lady Kitara