News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Unemployed... again

Started by Capt Gabriela Fullpepper, October 03, 2008, 10:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

So after a year and a few days of a contract position I found out today that I will once again, come Oct 16th be unemployed. The company I am at is laying off and since I am a contractor, I'm numero Uno to go in my dept (IT) It really sucks, as jobs are light right now in IT and I'm even going outside my career path applying as a admin (I have a ton of customer service experience so why not, beats unemployment).

So now that I will be once again broke, I sure don't see the feds bailing me out with 700 billion dollars. In fact unemplyment pays almost half of what I need to make to survive. Top that off with paying for my kids support knocks that by up to 60%

On the upside I will be saving gas not having to drive 80 miles round trip and hopefully will find something closer to home, but until that happens, I guess I start headig to the poor house. Not to mention I gained a few more references who want to give me great job references if needed.

At least Toki has a job and that makes it easier, but not fully as now it gets tighter than it already was, almost to chocking point. Just hope he can get 40+ hours a week.

Dang it sucks in this economy right now.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Element of Air

I am so sorry to hear that, my guy keeps falling ill and he is at the limit for occurrences. So he is next on the list for being let go as well.

I hope that you may find a job, it truly is hard at this time. All of my wishes go two you.
Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

Charlotte Rowan

Lady de  Laney, I am very sorry to hear that you will soon be out of a job again. I'll keep you and Toki in my prayers, and pray that you are able to get a job soon! I will also pray that whatever happens in November will cause the economy to improve!!!!
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Thanks you two.

Let us all hope... and pray something good happens in November. This country sure can't handle 4 more years of bad.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

lordwriothsley

Lady De Laney I know all to well of what it feels like to be broke right now.I have been out of a job since mid May and it sucks to no end being broke.I will absolutely keep you and Toki in my prayers and hope that you find something that you will love and that pays good money.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

renren

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

lady serena

Guppy # 81
Fins up

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Where one door closes another opens. Keep an open and positive mind.  There is someone else out there who has it worse than you do.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Welsh Wench

Along the lines of what Lady Kathleen said--

Have you considered a career change? Maybe going back to school?
That is what I have done. I was office manager for my husband's construction company and then I helped a friend out with property management.

Now I am in school for the next year for pharmacy technician.
There are grants and scholarships and financial aid if you qualify.

And let's face it. If the economy doesn't improve, we may ALL need drugs.  :(

What ever happens, I wish you the best.
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

lordwriothsley

You know Welsh Wench it's funny that you mentioned being in school for pharmacy technician cause my mom is currently a pharmacy tech right now herself.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

CatAshtrophy

I hope you are able to find a new job quickly. I wish you the best of luck.

Seryn

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I know how hard it is to not have a job, especially these days.  Even working full time, it's hard to make ends meet, and when you lose that job, it seems impossible.  But something will come to you.  I will be thinking about you.
Seryn
Gndecent Gnomie
Master Baiter on the HSI
Seryn of Chaos

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts.

I really feel sorry for 5 of my work mates (4 of which I saw 8 hours of every Monday - Friday. As soon as they got into work they got layed off and they were permanant. it hit them harder than it hit me. At least I knew mine possibly coming. On the bright side everyone else had to leave today, they are letting me stay until the 15th. I even was told the new admin passwords, SO maybe they will bring me back soon to fill the gaps left and help this now very small IT department.

Career change? Yup thought about it. Sadly I made or make to much right now to get grants. I checked into it, and thought about getting a degree in the medical field. Right now I'm even looking at Admin/Receptionist jobs which pay less than half of what I make currently.

I will prevail, I have Toki to hold my hand, and lots of experience to get me through this, just need the jobs to be there to apply to.

Thanks again and hope others looking for work find something soon.
"The Metal Maiden"

lordwriothsley

M'lady I will be keeping my fingers crossed and hope that something works out for you.I am sorry for your 5 work mates that did get permanently laid off though.With the way this economy is right now I will absolutely be praying for them that they find something they will enjoy and that pays good money for them as well.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Thanks for all the positive thoughts.

An Update

I have an interview tomorrow as a contactor at a job close to home. The money suck's but it beats unemployment. One of my supervisors at work also pulled me aside this morning and she and 1 other are fighting to keep me as it seems the IT dept is screwed on help for the coming months on what is coming in to do. They shot them selves inthe foot with so many layoff's. They wanted to see what my plans where and since I like where I am at... hate the drive and cost of gas, it pays better than the other job but I really like the people I work with and for. They really want to keep me but it's the higher ups that have to make the call so lets hope.

I've been firing off resumes faster than I can keep up with and have another contract possibility.

So thanks again for all the positive thoughts. I appreciate them... a ton
"The Metal Maiden"