News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need help on French pirate

Started by Kehle, November 09, 2008, 10:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kehle

I have a friend who's decided she wants a corsair persona, (or whatever the correct term for a French pirate is) but she needs help. She's pretty new to the faire, having only been once a long time ago before this year and then having been the first year she dressed up.

One of the first steps as she sees it was to name her French pirate lady, but she has no clue where to start with that, so I'm asking the advice of all of you. You're all more experienced at personas than I am, and the more thoughts on the subject the better as far as I'm concerned. If it helps with name suggestions, I should point out the colors she's most likely to wear are maroon (or some variation thereof and black.)

Here is a pic of her to help stimulate name suggestions. Though links or advice on how to make her pick her own are just as well.

Also advice for a French pirate accent for her would be great, as well as anything else you think she might need to know for her new persona.

I thank you, and Nikki would too if she wasn't so shy.
Lurker is just the forum word for stalker.
(now lurking in FL)

DuCoeur

Ah oui...A Piratey Mademoiselle!!!

Step 1:  Here is a French name generator site..... 

http://nine.frenchboys.net/randgirl.php
Yet she already has a great French Name....Nikki?  Short for nicollete?  Nicole?

Then all she needs is a last name.... Add la, De, or Du to any variety of names and voila it becomes French.

Step 2: Choose an Era.  She will probably want to go late 17th or 18th century *Sigh.*  Even though there were plenty of pirates long before Columbus....

Step 3:  Geography.  Most likely she will be sailing out of Marseilles, if she wants to sail the Med (Which is where Corsair came from) or Calais  if she wants to Terrorize the English (and what frenchman/woman does not love doing that)...if it is the Carribean *sigh* then tortuga and any of the Virgin Isles would be ports of call.

AS for the Accent.  I am always working on mine....And it is dificult with out sounding like inspector Clouseau.

Hope it gives her a Start...reseach research.  Have fun!!!

I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

A name for a French Pirate?  Cheese eatin' surrender monkeys is what I calls 'em!

Seriously, any pirate personae better be familiar with shipboard terms and slang, or there's no ship what would have ye long enough to become known as pirate!  To do that in French, well that is a tall order.
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

tcindie

The Acting with an Accent CDs are great for learning to speak with different accents, that might help her get heading in the right direction for proper pronunciation and such.. take the standard french accent, and then throw in some pirate flavor, and she should be set.. you can get the Acting with an Accent (French Dialect) from Amazon for about $24

Mad Jenny

In the creation of my pirate persona I have found a rather helpful book...

Pirates: Scourge of the Seas ***Good for general pirate knowledge***
Chapter 1: The History of Piracy
Chapter 2: Life Aboard a Pirate Ship
Chapter 3: Attack! Battle Tactics and Weapons
Chapter 4: Pirate Ships, Flags, and Clothes
Chapter 5: Rogue's Gallery ***Including French pirate Jean Lafitte***
Appendix 1: Pirate Superstitions
Appendix 2: Pirate Legends
Appendix 3: Fictional Pirates
Appendix 4: Pirate Lore
Avast! I'll make ye part of me balanced breakfast!