News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Upon what sort of ship do you sail?

Started by Obadiah Jib, November 14, 2008, 11:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

Unless you own a real ship (which of few pirates do) when you imagine your character what sort of ship takes the crew in search of plunder?  Perhaps a sloop, snow, galleon, or galley.  Maybe the exotic with a dow, xebec, junk, or catamaran?
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

RumbaRue

Unfortunately I get seasick.....

aw quit laughing....I know lots of seasick pirates.  :o
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Captain Jack Wolfe

They say the surest cure for sea sickness is to sit under a tree.   ;)

El Lobo del Mar is a 32-gun Spanish-built frigate.  She was appropriated from a Spanish warlord and refitted for the Account.  She's fast, and runs well before the wind to a broad reach.  ;D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Welsh Wench

Why, what a co-incidence!

I just happen to have a 32-gun Spanish-built frigate appropriated from a Spanish warlord and refitted for the Account!  ;)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

You mean that ship you appropriated half of from a certain pirate as community property?  That ship?  I think I know it...  ;) :D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Welsh Wench

Briggs! Get the tape measure and a roll of masking tape!

*glares*
This is my half, this is your half.....and I have 16 guns.
AND the bathroom!

Captain Jack Wolfe

We won't be dividing the bed again, will we?  That didn't last too long when we tried it before...  ;) ;D

Taffy Saltwater

The Libertine's a brigantine - coz I liked the rhyme, k?
Sveethot!

NorthBayDreamer

I sailed this (or at least rode on, drank tequila, and listened to pirate stories) for 3 hours a few years ago:

It is authentic and was build before 1900, it got a 1 cylinder engine put in in 1930, which is it still using to chug around Cabo San Lucas.  Does this count?
Lord Lisle (when a Nobel)
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Master Thomas Boddinham (when a middle)
Landshark No. 67

Angelhood

Here's what me and the crew errr "sail".  She be the Highlander's Kiss. Being land-locked privateers, she's got wheels and sails at the top speed of 35 mph. Excellent for parades with a smaller mast. She's got five working guns, and currently five more are being built.

Welsh Wench

Well, I've parked docked many a ship..

Pay no attention to that one...it was defective when I got there.

Elinor Hakebourne

Quote from: Welsh Wench on November 15, 2008, 01:36:58 PM
Briggs! Get the tape measure and a roll of masking tape!

*glares*
This is my half, this is your half.....and I have 16 guns.
AND the bathroom!

I agree with Wench on the bathroom...I mean, really, MadJack, what're YOU gonna do with a sauna and goodness knows what Wenchie added with the remodel...or hasn't that happened yet?

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Here be our vessel, Hellion, formerly HMS Hellion,  but we had a disagreement with the management

And, yes, we travel on the highways etc with full rigging up ( though it takes one hell of a lot of gas to do that)
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724

Obadiah Jib

Quote from: Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter on November 22, 2008, 04:50:01 AM
Here be our vessel, Hellion, formerly HMS Hellion,  but we had a disagreement with the management

And, yes, we travel on the highways etc with full rigging up ( though it takes one hell of a lot of gas to do that)

Outstanding sir!

Of course for myself I would worry that the temptation to roll down the windows and fire a broadside at fellow drivers on cell phones would end my days of piracy.
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Capt Robertsgrave Thighbiter

Aint that the truth! We got more then our share here in NYC.  Thats why we have the cannon ports!

What you cant see in this pic is the ships wheel steering wheel, lashed to the real one. Mounted to the deck ( roof) is the swivel cannon ; a miniature ships telegraph; our timoneer at a second ships wheel; our quarterboard (with HMS struck out in red paint) and the railing for the  gallery ( windows) on the stern; and a half dozen mini belaying pins mounted on the larboard pin rail.

Right now, laid up in ordinry, with all her rigging etc removed for the winter. Planned for next spring: mount a figurehead i got to the front bumper,  a  furled sail for the bowsprit yard;  a stay and backstay,  more belaying pins for the starboard pin rail,  more cannon ports,  and by then i susspect her red anti fouling will need to be redone, this time with copper.

Its a sickness, I tells ya!
If the rum's gone, so is the fun
*images and URLs not allowed in signatures* -Admin
Party like it's 1724