News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Dickens Faire 08 Trip Report (lots of pictures)

Started by NorthBayDreamer, December 20, 2008, 01:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthBayDreamer

Dickens Faire 08 Trip Report

Happy Christmas!!

Our last event was Folsom in October, so it had been 8 weeks since our last adventure.  The plan was that on December 13th, four of us were going back to London about 150 years.  But as in many plans, the plans had to change and it was only three of us to start the day off (the demands of work, oh well).  We had pre-ordered tickets for will call pickup (19 each with a 2 service charge for the whole order, so very good) and we were able to get the 4th one used by a friend who showed a couple of hours after opening.  We arrived just before 11 with our first 3 mission orders already issued.  We strolled in and the dance floor at Fezziwigs was already busy.  I dispatch my wife to the telegraph office to secure tickets to the first "Naughty French Postcards" show at 5:00 pm (it is free, just very popular and an over 18 only show) and the two of us gentlemen step up for ale (which is conveniently located just 20 feet from the front gate).  I ordered the Dickens Stout and it is a bit on the sweet side, so that will be last of that one for me.  My wife returns with the tickets and gets her first ale (missions 1 and 2 are now complete).  The beverage selection is quiet good.

We are now properly armed for our primary mission which is a new hat for me.  We meander slowly down Maiden Lane and through Fagan Way making our way to Petticoat Lane.  We then arrive at the Haberdasher and embark upon a very detailed discussion of the proper hat for my head.  It was decided a black derby is the only way to go.
I keep seeing cards that say "I BELIEVE IN THE GREEN FAIRY!"  Hmmm.  While we stroll and shop throughout all of London, we drop by the Dark Garden a few times during the day to admire the latest of corset fashions.

We find ourselves at Mad Sal's Dockside Alehouse and gaze down the bar and see another bar that is dimly bathed in a green light (something new this year).  We find out that it does not open till 1:30, so we are off again to shop, see the sights, and flirt.

Well, we don't make it back to green bar next to Mad Sal's till 4.  We learn all about the proper way to consume Absinthe.  They are serving 3 varieties:  Saint George (a local one made across the bay in Alameda), Obsello, and something called Tormented Gargoyle (I think it is Le Tourment Vert from the French brandy distillery Vinet-Ege).  Each shot is pricey at 12 ΒΌ, but being that there are 4 of us, we decide that we need one of each and a second of our favorite to share (which turned out to be St George's).  They pour the shot and then add ice water and it turns it from clear to a milky color.

We are distracted with all the activity at Mad Sal's and are late getting to the 5:00 Postcards show.  It is good and funny as always, but being we were in the back and it was hard to hear unfortunately we missed a lot.  Nudity and a good play on words ALWAYS makes for a great show.  We finished the show and wandered the lanes again. A shop owner mentioned to me that this was busier than opening day, so that is good news to know that the show is doing very well in these trying times.  Out of the blue, they yell out "Last Call" and alas it is 7:00 PM already and the whole place is still full of people.  My friend gets himself a new vest at the end of day and it really gives him the splash of color that he needs.

We head out and stop in El Fornaio (a very nice Italian restaurant) in Walnut Creek for dinner while we are all decked out and don't get home till after 10 PM.  We got lots of looks and comments.  I just love a day at the faire.

Happy Christmas!

The rest of the pictures are here:

http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd210/northbaydreamer/Dickens%2008/
Lord Lisle (when a Nobel)
Horndog (when a Pirate)
Master Thomas Boddinham (when a middle)
Landshark No. 67