News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Finding other forum people

Started by Dev, February 25, 2009, 10:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dev

I tried to, this last year and it was really hard to find people from the forum.

Of course, being a more fantasy-oriented playtron, I don't want to cramp anyone's style.

Where do rf.com people generally gather?

Professor M

Dev, to answer that I'd have to narrow your question a bit.  RF/C people are associated with renaissance festivals (and medieval faires, pirate fests, etc.) all around this country, and even a few others.  Show up at any faire, and you'll meet RF/C people.  You can often recognize us by the small pin/shield we wear with the RF/C symbol.

Since you're posting specifically on the Pittsburgh forum, I can tell you that many of us gather at Mullaney's Harp & Fiddle.  It's in the Strip District of Pittsburgh.  We usually gather when Terry Griffith is playing, though we also show up for other events.  Keep an eye on this forum and you'll see announcements of our gatherings.

Which reminds me, check the thread for Winter Renstock.  You'll find plenty of us there.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Scarlett

Since you stated you are a playtron, I'm assuming you are referring to finding R/F folks at the faire.  Well, we are everywhere!  Many are cast and performers.  Others own booths/shops.  Then there are the playtrons, of which many can be found at the pub and generally wandering about the shire.  As Prof M said, look for the R/F pins.  Look for familiar faces from the avatar photos here.  You'll be surprised how many you'll see. 
Mimosas - They're Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
SWG, Chapter 1, co-founding member

Morwyn

...well SOME of us have R/F pins.....others have lost many in the parking lots ......you might also want to check our renspace sites (www.renspace.com)- many of us are over there and you will see lots of photos to help identify us!

TiaLD77

Thank you for the link Morwyn!, I have created my Renspace page under My actual Ren/SCA Name "Temair" & am Busily adding friends...
I want to play with your head like a drunk kitten:)

SirRichardBear

Hello from Texas.  Have you tried arranging a meet and greet through the forum?   What we do is find out which weekend most members are attending and arrange a time and place to  meet.  We are in the process of doing it for this weekend opening of Four Winds.  http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=6007.0

Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

Terry Griffith

Dev, I know what you mean by "Fantasy oriented" but in a more general sense, we are all Fantasy in one form or another.  It's a broadly held opinion that to criticize one person's idea of enjoying faire puts all of us in a bad light.  True, my illusion is a little harder to accept when passing an out of place character in the lanes but we all suspend our disbelief for the day.

As Scarlett said, the pictures you see here key.  Although my sketch isn't a photo, you would still recognize me.  If you want to find people at faire, put your picture on your avatar, especially in garb so people will know you.  That's the best way to find people because they will recognize you and remember the posts you have made because they have an idea of what you look like.

If you need help doing that, please feel free to send me an private ren mail and I'll help you.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Professor M

Quote from: Terry Griffith on February 28, 2009, 10:01:43 AM

If you need help doing that, please feel free to send me an private ren mail and I'll help you.

That's all covered in the upper level forums.  Look for Forum Guidelines or Ask the Admin.  Everything you need is there.

For that matter, be sure to introduce yourself in the proper forum.  You'll make lots of friends, almost instantly.
~ C.S. Lewis

chriscat53

That's a great idea! Pins! When I was young and hanging with hard corps Civil War folks, we determined to always wear a piece of gear when we weren't in period. A pin is much easier. It would be easier for me to meet people because it's already so hard being deaf. Where do the pins come from? Is the C for cast? Is there one for playtrons?

Professor M

Quote from: chriscat53 on March 22, 2009, 07:34:49 AM
That's a great idea! Pins! When I was young and hanging with hard corps Civil War folks, we determined to always wear a piece of gear when we weren't in period. A pin is much easier. It would be easier for me to meet people because it's already so hard being deaf. Where do the pins come from? Is the C for cast? Is there one for playtrons?

The Pin Thread is here: http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?topic=210.180
~ C.S. Lewis