News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hello! I didn't know what else to do to introduce myself so I started a topic.

Started by Ignia, March 15, 2009, 07:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignia

Hello. My name is Sarah V. I know I have met some of you before. Mostly at the Pittsburgh Zoo Renaissance Day. I was the one in the rather pitiful "peasant" costume. :) Um, my renfest name is "Ignia."
Oh! and I'm also doing a research project on renaissance festivals, so it would be really awesome if anyone would indicate their interest in being interviewed or could provide any info on the history of renfests.
Thank you.

anne of oaktower

Greetings, Ignia, and welcome to the madness.  I can't help with any history of renfests, but you can interview me if you'd like. 
aka: Oak-hearted Annie / Anne of Oak Barrel / Barefoot Annie

"It is never too late to be what you might have been."

Terry Griffith

Yes, Ignia, I remember you.  Last year you were too young to try out for cast.  Maybe this year.

I would be glad to answer any questions you have but you should know that eveybody you interview will probably give you a different answer because we all have different reasons why we love the faire.  It's not a universal motive.

Hope to  see you agian this year.
"There's a unicorn that's hangin' in what's known as father's room......"

Jezzy MacPeaks

Ahoy, Ignia!  Welcome to the board.  I almost made it to Pittsburgh last year, but my mom went into the hospital, so I had to beg out.

I'd be happy to talk with you, as well.  Just send me a message, if you like.

Here is the History of Renaissance Faires in America, according to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_fair

In post-World War II America, there was a resurgence of interest in medieval and Renaissance culture. In the 1950s, there was a very strong early music revival, and out of that came folk musician and traditionalist John Langstaff. In 1957, Langstaff held "A Christmas Masque of Traditional Revels" in New York City, and the following year another in Washington, DC. A televised version was broadcast on the "Hallmark Hall of Fame" in 1966 which included Dustin Hoffman playing the part of the dragon slain by Saint George, and in 1971 Langstaff established a permanent Christmas Revels in Cambridge, Massachusetts.[8]

In 1963, Los Angeles schoolteacher Phyllis Patterson held a very small version of the faire as a class activity, in the backyard of her Laurel Canyon home in the Hollywood Hills. On May 11th and 12th of that year, Phyllis and her husband Ron, presented the first Renaissance Pleasure Faire as a one-weekend fundraiser for radio station KPFK, drawing some 8,000 people. For many years thereafter, the Renaissance Pleasure Faire of Southern California (RPFS) was held in the spring at the Paramount Ranch located in Agoura, CA, partaking of the rich lore and age-old customs of English springtime markets and "Maying" customs. Five years later, the Pattersons created a fall Renaissance Faire, with a harvest festival theme, in the fall, first at what is now China Camp State Park in San Rafael, CA. and two years later at the Black Point Forest in Novato, CA. Both Faires developed into local traditions and began a movement that spread across the country. There are now over 100 independently owned and operated Renaissance Faires throughout the United States and Canada.

These events have showcased a large ensemble of performers, fine artists, craftspeople and crew. The Faires drew on the rich variety arts movement in Los Angeles, and the explosion of outdoor public events. Interactive environmental theatre and stage shows were overlaid with large scale processions featuring giant puppets and courtly displays. The London-based Reduced Shakespeare Company, San Francisco's Fratelli Bologna, Tutti Frutti, St. Stupid and the Los Angeles Fools Guild all developed from improvisationally-focused ensembles that initially worked together at the Pleasure Faire. Famous actors who worked at the Pleasure Faire in their youth include Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez, Rosanna Arquette and Penn Jillette.[6]

The Patterson family's company, Theme Events Limited, and its non-profit affiliate, The Living History Center, are generally credited with developing the Renaissance Faire concept as it exists today.[6] Inspired by the vision of his parents, Kevin Patterson and his wife, Leslie, are the next generation of Faire producers, bringing the concept full circle, and continuing the Patterson history of innovation by honoring the traditions of Springtime and Midsummer.
Pyrate Queen
Costumer, Extraordinaire
Hook'n of Clan M'Crack
Have Blunderbuss, Will Plunder

Professor M

Hello Ignia, I remember you well!

One thing you should really do on this site is to go to the top level and introduce yourself to entire renfaire community.

http://www.renaissancefestival.com/forums/index.php?board=12.0

You'll get in touch with people from all over the country.  I'm sure many of them will be happy to answer your questions, too.
"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~ C.S. Lewis

Ignia

wow! thank you all.
to Jezzy Macpeaks: thank you for the history info. do you mind if I use you as reference rather than wikipedia? My teacher told my class that if we use wikipedia we're "on her you-know-what-list for life."