News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Kansas City Renaissance Festival In the Snow??

Started by kcdcchef, March 27, 2009, 03:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcdcchef

since the kansas city area is about to get a big late season snowfall, and everyone is freaking out about snow the last weekend of march, it got me to thinking................

does anyone have pictures of the shire in the snow? i have never seen any. i think it would be really neat. the quietness of the faire, the snow covering the empty lanes. i just think it would look so neat. i am a big baseball fan, and some of the neatest shots of kauffman stadium i have ever seen were of the k in winter, with snow covering the entire seating bowl. just looked soooo neat.

okay, i am done rambling now!!

TKM

hm... never thought of it. if it snows again this season, i'll make a run down to the fairegrounds to get a few pics for you. If not i'll try to remember it this winter.

kcdcchef

Quote from: TKM on March 30, 2009, 01:07:51 AM
hm... never thought of it. if it snows again this season, i'll make a run down to the fairegrounds to get a few pics for you. If not i'll try to remember it this winter.

i talked to the fair general manager over the weekend, she is going to try to email me one.

TKM

Emerald Shaunassey

While I've not seen the empty site covered in snow; I've worked the festival when it was has sleeted and snowed (all in the same day) and yes, it is beautiful to watch the sleet/snow coming down but ... not so much to work in when you dressed for a warm fall day!  Alas, being as I was working the festival, I do not have photos from that year.  That would have been .... 2001 or 2002 season, I believe.
IWG #979, IFRP #569, RMG # 614, Bard # 171.
Creator, Owner, & Manager of Williams Entertainment: Home of The Ladies of the Salty Kiss, The Shanty Lasses, Native Souls, & Grand Lake Renaissance Festival.

kcdcchef

Quote from: Emerald Shaunassey on June 02, 2009, 12:14:38 PM
While I've not seen the empty site covered in snow; I've worked the festival when it was has sleeted and snowed (all in the same day) and yes, it is beautiful to watch the sleet/snow coming down but ... not so much to work in when you dressed for a warm fall day!  Alas, being as I was working the festival, I do not have photos from that year.  That would have been .... 2001 or 2002 season, I believe.

i think i was there that day!!!

carrie shoptaw was gonna get me some pictures to post, but it was around the time jim gasser passed away, so i never pushed the issue. perhaps next winter i will pester her to get me some to post. something just tells me it is quite the sight to behold to see all the beautiful lanes as quiet as can be, and covered in pretty white snow.

TKM

once again, i'll try to remember this winter and make a special trip to the fairegrounds since i'm not far.

kcdcchef

Quote from: TKM on June 03, 2009, 02:41:07 AM
once again, i'll try to remember this winter and make a special trip to the fairegrounds since i'm not far.

please. i would love it.

TKM

too bad i didn't think of this earlier this year when it was still snowing. but hey, there's a torrential rain and thunderstorm right now, i'm sure the faire's equally as beautiful =p

gem

We've been season passholders since 2001, and it's never been anywhere near cold enough to snow when we've been there!  I remember one early morning in the upper 30s, but it was bright and sunny and warmed up to the 50s by midday.  And then there was that horrible Labor Day where it poured... 2004 or so... you might have caught hypothermia (it was miserable, and they closed the gates for weather for the only time in 30 years), but still not snow weather.

Temps in the 90s through the last weekend are a lot more likely.  Remember, our fair is Labor Day through Columbus Day, and it's very common for us to still be in shorts at Hallowe'en.

kcdcchef

Quote from: gem on August 25, 2009, 05:15:18 PM
We've been season passholders since 2001, and it's never been anywhere near cold enough to snow when we've been there!  I remember one early morning in the upper 30s, but it was bright and sunny and warmed up to the 50s by midday.  And then there was that horrible Labor Day where it poured... 2004 or so... you might have caught hypothermia (it was miserable, and they closed the gates for weather for the only time in 30 years), but still not snow weather.

Temps in the 90s through the last weekend are a lot more likely.  Remember, our fair is Labor Day through Columbus Day, and it's very common for us to still be in shorts at Hallowe'en.

us?? i grew up in kansas city and have been going to this faire for 30 years now. you should read the whole post, i was talking in late march about off season photos of the shire covered in snow. if you have ever been to canterbury when it is closed, it looks pretty similar to when it is open.

there was one year where it was in the 30's on closing weekend, like october 19th, that was 96 i believe. that was the year we had the godawful snowstorm in october that dumped 10 inches on kansas city. and the closing sunday it was a high of 35, brrrr. last year, jackie and i ( my wife ) were at the pub sing on closing monday ( columbus day last year ) and the freezing rain was falling at 6pm, they closed the faire early on closing day it was so cold, rainy, and miserable. when we got in our rental car and turned it on, it was 38. brrrr!!

anyways, TKM, my favorite 19 year old, or anyone else, if you are ever near bonner springs when it is freezing cold, snap a few shots, i would be grateful. carrie was supposed to get me some but it was around the same time jim passed away, rest his soul.

TKM

Quote from: kcdcchef on August 25, 2009, 05:37:40 PM
TKM, my favorite 19 year old

hey, watch yourself! i just turned 20 today! anyway, yeah jim's death overshadowed a lot of other concerns in my life as well, but this winter i'll see if i can't make a trek up there for a shoot.

kcdcchef

Quote from: TKM on August 25, 2009, 06:10:00 PM
Quote from: kcdcchef on August 25, 2009, 05:37:40 PM
TKM, my favorite 19 year old

hey, watch yourself! i just turned 20 today! anyway, yeah jim's death overshadowed a lot of other concerns in my life as well, but this winter i'll see if i can't make a trek up there for a shoot.

hey dude, did you find a  place to crash??

TKM

i'm getting things worked out. unfortunately, it looks like i'll only be able to attend opening weekend this season, as i may have to stay out of town for a while =p

kcdcchef

Quote from: TKM on August 29, 2009, 04:23:36 PM
i'm getting things worked out. unfortunately, it looks like i'll only be able to attend opening weekend this season, as i may have to stay out of town for a while =p

have to? you arent in trouble are you?? that sucks, i know how much you love faire TKM, that totally sucks.

as far as the snow topic goes, i intend to try and get j. michael strange grab me some snow shots this winter.