News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tales of King Arthur

Started by Robert eben Hope, April 27, 2009, 08:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert eben Hope

I apologize in advance if this subject has been covered before but I was curious what your favorite stories of Arthur were. There are so many grand tales, some border fantasy, other told in a more harsh  realistic tone, but all are grand and wonderful. I was wondering which ones you have read and loved.

So far my favorite has been Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles. He is truly a gifted writer and I can't wait to read more of his works. So please share with me your favorite versions of this legendary tail.

Nyneve

Great subject - and so many to choose from!

Cornwell's books are indeed, wonderful!  I love The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley, as well as Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy (The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills and The Last Enchantment). 
I cannot believe in a God who does not Dance -Freidrich Nietzsche
The curve is more powerful than the Sword  -Mae West

Kymberleigh

Dang it, now I'm going to have to rearrange my too read list.

I haven't read many Tales of Arthur, but I do have favorites.

Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon is a good one, like Nyneve said.

My favorite has to be In the Shadow of the Oak King by Courtway Jones.  Arthurian tale told from the point of view of Pellas, Arthur's half-brother (by Uther).  Apparently there are two more in the series (one told from the point of view of Morgaine, and one told from the POV of Mordred), but I have yet to track them down, since they are old enough they aren't sold in regular bookstores :(.
I'm not shy... I'm a passive socialite

Lord Clisto of York

I have to agree that "The Mists of Avalon" is one of my favorites.
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

mehan

Hm.... all previously mentioned are wonderful ones, and favs of mine too..... but just to thrown some spice in the pot - Jack Whytes Camulod series..... told from the point of view of a Roman deciding to live in Briton after the fall of the roman empire - Arthur doesn't even come into it until the 4th book.    There is also a great series by Persia Woolsey (not too sure of the spelling and have had a hard time "refinding" it after losing it to a roommate) that tells it from Guinevere's pagan point of view.  Oh so many good books and never enough time!

Lady Nicolette

Call me old fashioned, but I still love Mallory's "Le Morte d'Arthur."  And T.H White's "Once and Future King," still has me laughing with his small digs at modern society, Arthur's experience as an ant (done and not done) and then crying when everything gets so terrible and tarnished. 
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

BLAKDUKE

I am going to go further back than all of those.  I read a book in grade school(yes we had grade school when I was young), called "The Boys King Arthur".  I loved it.   I ran across a copy of it once at an antique show, but he wanted the price of a vacation in the Bahamas for it so I passed.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Robert eben Hope

I haven't read Mists of Avalon yet,I might need to pick that one up.

Nyneve

Quote from: Kymberleigh on April 30, 2009, 12:35:13 AM

My favorite has to be In the Shadow of the Oak King by Courtway Jones.  Arthurian tale told from the point of view of Pellas, Arthur's half-brother (by Uther).  Apparently there are two more in the series (one told from the point of view of Morgaine, and one told from the POV of Mordred), but I have yet to track them down, since they are old enough they aren't sold in regular bookstores :(.

Oh yes- I highly recommend the other Courtway Jones books, too, if you can find them!
I cannot believe in a God who does not Dance -Freidrich Nietzsche
The curve is more powerful than the Sword  -Mae West

Queen Bonnie

I love books about King Arthur and have read plenty of them. Just finished Bernard Cornwell's series! Wow! I love Jack Whyte's series too and Mary Stewart's! I never get tired of Arthurian tales!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Dayna

"I am going to go further back than all of those.  I read a book in grade school(yes we had grade school when I was young), called "The Boys King Arthur".  I loved it.   I ran across a copy of it once at an antique show, but he wanted the price of a vacation in the Bahamas for it so I passed."

Hey Blakduke!!  go to www.abebooks.com and put the title in the search box.  I found a couple of different books by that name, one published in 1970.  Price $1 plus $3.95 postage.

Dayna

Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Robert eben Hope

Quote from: Queen Bonnie on May 08, 2009, 04:55:55 PM
I love books about King Arthur and have read plenty of them. Just finished Bernard Cornwell's series!

So what did you think of the ending? I thought it was great but I did want to know what happened to Derfel, and I wonder if Sansum ever caught him writing, or if the Saxon ever attacked the monastary. All in all though I thought it was a wonderful series.