News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Houston Highland Games & Celtic Festival- May 16-17th

Started by Zardoz, May 07, 2009, 09:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zardoz

The Houston Highland Games & Celtic Festival will be held the weekend of May 16 and 17, 2009, at the Farm & Ranch Club in West Houston off Highway 6, just north of I-10. They always have plenty of good entertainment, food, fun, guys in kilts etc.... I'll be out both days, hope to see ya' there!

Amongst the exhibitors this time is The Coritani (www.texascoritani.com), who re-enact the daily life of the Celts in Iron Age Britain.  All manner of Scottish, Irish, and English festival foods will also be on offer along with Guinness and St Arnold's beer, snow cones, kettle corn, and other tasty treats.  Many of the goods vendors offer Renaissance apparel, jewelry, and heraldry as well as Scottish and Celtic.

The Welcome Ceilidh will be on Friday, May 15th, 7pm at the Tilted Kilt on Hwy 6 just north of Westheimer Rd.
Look for us on the back porch or just follow the music.

On Saturday, make sure that you arrive before 12 noon so that you can enjoy the spectacle of the Parade of the Massed Pipe Bands that officially kicks off the Games.
On Sunday, Walt MacFadden, pastor of St. Brendan's Celtic Church will be presiding over the Kirking O' The Tartans church service at 10am.

Here's the website for more details:

http://www.houstonhighlandgames.com/

I'm fairly sure I'll see Aiacha out there, because EJ Jones is playing in two bands!  ;D
"Pants are for guys with ugly legs"
Member of Clan McLotofus,
IBRSC# 1619,
As seen in Renaissance Magazine

LadyShadow

Hubby and I are going to try and come on Sunday.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

mpullen

Yep, I'll be out there Saturday and Sunday. Never passing up an opportunity to wear the kilt. Daughter and future son-in-law should be with me Saturday.

There are several good groups playing, plus the highland games are far more realistic than TRF. Love the Highland dancing competition.

Zardoz

A little more info;
Friday 5/15 - Set-up at Farm & Ranch Club, 8am -5pm , earn free admission and a t-shirt to the Games; 7pm-?? Welcome Ceilidh at the Tilted Kilt on the back porch,
Saturday and Sunday 5/16 - 5/17 10am-6pm, Games commence, see http://www.houstonhighlandgames.org/schedules.htm for performers, places, and times. Come visit the XMarks' hospitality tent at the Irish American Heritage Association All-Irish table and ask for Max. Volunteering for 2 hours will get you free admission and a t-shirt while they last. Contact Juli at 713-721-3988 or beaker8314@sbcglobal.net to sign up.
Slainte!
IBRSC# 1619,

LadyShadow

I wish I could help volunteer.  But it doesn't look like that is in my schedule this year.  Maybe next year.  And if all goes as planned I will be there on Sunday.  *crossing my fingers that no problems arise*
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

valt

Too bad I already have plans for this weekend otherwise I would be very tempted to check it out.  Sounds like a good place for some photo opportunities and I have this new lens that I am itching to test out...

Var Greyshadow

We're going to Scarby, or I'd be there for sure.  Maybe next year!
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

LadyJessica

Ummm...I know the back part of the park is underwater....is the front ok?
Loki GODDESS
Lady-in-Lacing to QOE
FOKTOP
Director of Social Tourture for the Empire
Gneaitheas Gnomie (DG#290)

Zardoz

Quote from: LadyJessica on May 14, 2009, 07:00:21 PM
Ummm...I know the back part of the park is underwater....is the front ok?

Most of Bear Creek Park is still inaccessable right now, but the Houston Farm and Ranch Club did not have any flooding other than the front gate area off Patterson Road. The water in that area is draining quickly.  Should the gate not be available by Friday, an alternate entrance will be used. This entrance is 1/4 mile north of Patterson on Hwy 6.  There will be signs if needed.
  The water levels did cause some trouble with the restrooms, but they are working now. I was by there today, and it's all good!
IBRSC# 1619,

Macintyre