News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

an inquiry concerning a bit of pirate, and general nautical, combat history

Started by TKM, May 19, 2009, 08:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKM

A long time ago, I watched the feature "Pirate Tech" on the History Channel, and I recall hearing about a famous historical battle in the 17th or 18th century when the captain of a British ship had his decks lined with sand in preperation for the blood he knew would be spilt. I forget which battle, exactly when, or with what famous pirate captain, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd like to ask: Is this just one famous historical occurance, or is it a well-known tactic? Is it believable that a ship in the 16th, 15th, or earlier centuries could have just as easily deployed this strategy for facing an oncoming pirate raid? The reason I'm asking is because of a story I'm writing, and though it's fiction, largely fantasy, I'd like it to be well tied with history and I don't want anyone in the know to read my story and say "Hey, this ship wouldn't have sanded their deck. No one ever thought to do that until (insert captain's name) in the 17th centruy!" or something like that.

Sir Ironhead

You're referring to Lieutenant Robert Maynard when he attacked Edward Teach AKA Blackbeard in 1718 of the coast of North Carolina .

As far as historical occurance, I'd think that it would be a fairly routine thing to do.  I think the real question would be how much sand would a warship of the time be carrying and what all would it be used for.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

TKM

ok, that's good to know.

The main protaganist in my story is a mercenary with a strong nautical background, and he's hired to help defend a merchant ship in the event of a pirate raid, which is something he's used to doing. He's familiar with pirate tactics and informs the captain and crew of how to prepare. He doesn't tell them to bring sand, I mean, that'd be tacky, but I'll find some excuse for it to be there and for my hero to think on the spot to ask for sand pending an appraoching pirate vessel.

Thank you much.

Obadiah Jib

If you have seen the movie "Master and Commander" you may recall seeing them sand the flooring when getting ready for surgery.  The word "Arena" means sand.
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

TKM

i see. Thanks for that information. On that note, what time period does that movie take place in?

Sir Ironhead

Not sure of the specific year, but it takes place during the Napoleonic Wars.  My guess is sometime between 1801 and 1805.
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack

Captain Jack Wolfe

"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Sir Ironhead

Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack

Captain Jack Wolfe

Actually, TKM, the battle you're referring to where they ordered the decks sanded was the Battle of Trafalgar, 21 October 1805.  The commanding officer was Admiral Lord Horatio Nelson, aboard the flagship HMS Victory.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

TKM

ok. but is it likely that ships were doing it as early as the late 1500s or so?

Captain Jack Wolfe

It is certainly possible.  But just because it's possible doesn't mean it was done or was practical.  Sand is heavy and takes up valuable space.  Best of luck hunting down any documented evidence that may be available on the matter.  Remember, discovering the information is the greatest and most beneficial reward of research.