News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Seriously? Obama is in trouble with PETA

Started by *Teach*, June 18, 2009, 10:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

*Teach*

Not kidding...
Seriously PETA?
He swatted a fly and your bothered?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,527001,00.html
For real?
I thought this story was a joke when it first popped up, but they are serious.
It's a fly. Get over it.
This... is a great example of why I have no respect for PETA.
For those who I may offend on that... sorry, I have a great fondness for animals and firmly believe that PETA does more harm than good.

*Gonna take my rum and go sit with my pets now*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I belong to PETA  ;D

People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Lord Moravec

Quote from: *Teach* on June 18, 2009, 10:04:43 AM
Not kidding...
Seriously PETA?
He swatted a fly and your bothered?
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,527001,00.html
For real?
I thought this story was a joke when it first popped up, but they are serious.
It's a fly. Get over it.
This... is a great example of why I have no respect for PETA.
For those who I may offend on that... sorry, I have a great fondness for animals and firmly believe that PETA does more harm than good.

*Gonna take my rum and go sit with my pets now*

I agree this is a group that outlived their usefullness long a go. Now they only make themselves look more and more foolish everyday, almost as bad as Greenpeace. These groups seem to be founded by former Hippies who did not get with the "lets just get along" theory. 
If it weren't for the gutter my mind would be homeless.

LadyShadow

OMG they do tend to go to far.  That is what the problem usually seems to be alot here lately.

And Lady de Laney, I would gladly join you in that group :D
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

Lady Christina de Pond

I'm with you on that
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals

now where is my steak
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

Dracconia

Wow, ok....

If the worst thing my president does is swat a fly in an interview.....

I AM SO OKAY WITH IT!

But then again...fly swatting the gate way to animal cruelty....
*sigh*

The cockroaches are next :'(
PR ~Faire Daughter~
Shake-N-Bake

Cobaltblu

The president can order the military to kill people...but PETA complains because he kills a fly?

Perhaps PETA will complain that the manufacturers of anti-biotic medications are mass murderers?

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Pascal

I love eating vegetarian ...

after all, a cow is a vegetarian (so eating beef means eating a vegetarian!)

Noble Dreg

I will avoid using words for PETA that may have me banned...They cry fowl over the death of a fly but they themselves "kill" thousands of animals a year...that's right, they do.  Search "PETA euthanasia", hope you can control your outrage, I barely can.
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Sir William Marcus

VENI, VIDI, VELCRO! Spelling and grammatical errors are beyond my control, it's the way I'm wired.

RSLeask

Somebody tell me this is a joke.  No seriously, tell me.  Whether it is, or it isn't.  Or I'mma go out and eat some landfish for lunch, I swear.
What's a Grecian Urn?  Are we talking union, or non-union?

RumbaRue

Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Lady Nicolette

I'm a PETA member, actually.  And they do go too far, it's one of their tactics to make people pay attention.  I don't mind that many people in here are of obvious other persuasions than myself, just remember that many of us are on the side of getting the word out to try and eventually stop animal cruelty.  Even if it means going overboard to make a point, which PETA is certainly known to do and has done in this case.  There is at least one religion that I know of that prohibits killing even a fly, Jainism, and they probably wouldn't find this PETA message too extreme.

Edit HJere, because I meant to also say that I think they're a bit extreme, too.  And I understand that it is humorous.  Except, perhaps to the fly, to whom it was truly a deadly serious matter.

I'm fine with Obama swatting that fly, however, they are nasty things.  Depending on what sort of insect invades my home, though, I'm as likely to remove it as kill it (black widows have automatic death warrants in the house, as do mosquitos....wasps and bees, if they're not too belligerent, end up being caught in a jar and taken back outside). 

Remember keep it nice, folks, this forum is made up of people from all walks of life, OK?
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Cobaltblu

A fly isn't an animal.

This brings up an important question.  PETA suggested a more humane approach, but what would that be?

Perhaps Obama should have captured the fly and relocated it to somewhere where it could live it's life in peace.

Or provide the fly's family grief counseling due to their phobia of fly swatters.

Or given the fly a job because it grew up in a bad neighborhood without any other option but to attack humans.

OR capture the fly and put in the PETA offices where it could live with people who care about it.

I bet someone could infiltrate the PETA offices and find people swatting flies.

Regards,

CB
Click on my website icon on the left to view my photo album of garb and items.

Lady Nicolette

To be serious, I think that the relocation of the fly was what they had in mind.  And I'm not sure what their complete mission is, despite their acronym, it may include ethical treatment of insects.

To also be serious, my personal favorite of your solutions is the grief counseling one, although all of them are pretty clever. I enjoy your droll sense of humor.  ;D

"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine