News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Mundane News (aka weirdness in media)

Started by *Teach*, June 18, 2009, 10:44:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

*Teach*

So I was thinking, there are weird and weirder than weird stories that pop up in the news on occasion
So... how about a thread dedicated to posting the news?
Outside of the ren world there are really only a couple of other things I am really into and one is that I am a news/politics junkie. It is my own weird little quirk. I read and watch FOXnews, CNN, BBC and every other news outlet I can squeeze in time for.
One of my favorite things is to find stories that are just... bizarre.
That can be anything from goofy things celebs do to weird stories about regular folks to odd things that organizations try to foist off on the general public.

Keep in mind, not everyone has the same political viewpoints so if we want to have a news thread we need to be tolerant of that and not throw this into a politics discussion (which would get the thread locked in a hurry). I can think of many many things the "other side" does that strikes me as odd but that isn't the kind of stories this thread is for. Politics is OK for this only if it isn't a "choosing sides" kind of story.

Some examples of things to post about:

• The woman who was on the potty so long she was stuck to it (her skin grew around it even)
  • The fellow who was arrested in the UK for having sex with a bicycle (on several occasions)
  • The two grammar-conscious vigilantes arrested for correcting grammar on national parks signs
  • The 14 year old boy who recently was hit by a meteorite (he's OK, just scared and scarred)

So, what strange/odd/weird/bizarre/unusual news have you seen recently?

*Rum shots for whomever comes up with the weirdest story of the week*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

dbaldock

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Lady Nicolette

"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Anna Iram

I'm a huge News of the Weird fan. :) Anybody else read this column?

A News of the Weird Classic (July 2005)
Willie Windsor, 54, of Phoenix has for several years lived as a full-time baby, wearing frilly dresses, diapers and bonnets, sucking on a pacifier, eating Gerber cuisine and habitually clutching a rag doll, in a home filled with oversized baby furniture. According to a long Phoenix New Times profile in June, the diaper is not just a prop. Windsor said he worked hard to learn to become incontinent, even chaining the commode shut to avoid temptation, and the reporter admitted feeling "disconcert(ed)" that Windsor might be relieving himself at the very moment he was describing his un-toilet training. Apparently, Windsor's brother, ex-wife, girlfriend and a neighbor tolerate his lifestyle (though no girlfriend has yet been willing to change his diapers). Windsor is a semi-retired singer-actor and said he's been celibate for nine years. [Phoenix New Times, 6-9-05]

Lady Nicolette

Funny stories!  We used to get a kick out of reading "The Weekly World News," which frequently reported on things like alien abductions, Elvis sightings and completely bogus medical oddities as well as weird celebrity gossip.

Dragonlord

I was not having sex with the bike.  Was trying to get the spokes to make that cool motorcycle sound.

Lady Neysa

Quote from: Anna Iram on June 18, 2009, 01:27:14 PM
Windsor is a semi-retired singer-actor and said he's been celibate for nine years. [Phoenix New Times, 6-9-05]

Gee I can't imagine why.

Noble Dreg

Don't know where else to post this but this is the funniest auction ever...Man in New Zealand selling a washing machine.  Be sure to scroll down to the comments!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=223309871
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Lady Nicolette

Thanks for my biggest laugh of the day, Noble Dreg!

dbaldock

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Lady Christina de Pond

Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

brier patch charlie

Two squids toss Ronald McDonald over board! Hummmmm, They must have been Campbells! ::)
Charles Coleman

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: Noble Dreg on June 18, 2009, 09:08:19 PM
Don't know where else to post this but this is the funniest auction ever...Man in New Zealand selling a washing machine.  Be sure to scroll down to the comments!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=223309871

Not only was the man's writing funny, reading the comments and his replies was hysterical.  I "wasted" over an hour reading this and wasn't finished, and I think I spent my time way better than watching something stupid on TV.

Thanks for posting this.  It made my day!   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Queen Bonnie

I needed that laugh too! I wonder if I could get that guy to write up my room for rent listing? LOL!
What FUN!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!