News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

traffic on I-81?

Started by laedyfaire, July 06, 2009, 08:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laedyfaire

greetings..we are heading up this friday for our first time at Sterling, coming from the south ( tuxedo NY area )..very excited! I checked on the net and see there is construction on I 81 through the Syracuse area. Can anyone tell me how bad it gets, and if there is a better time to travel? We intend to be going through about 11 AM. If the traffic is backed up, is there a detour?

I kind of get panic attacks in traffic, hence, my questions...call it a phobia! : :-\

peace...LF

Lord Finger

You should use your favorite map site to look into taking Rt. 481 around the city. If you're traveling to the general Sterling area, you would exit 81 just south of Syracuse to take 481 around the city to the East. You would stay right on 481 to Fulton or Oswego or wherever you're going. It'll add a few miles but you won't get jammed in traffic. Have a safe drive!

Aaroncois

I second the I-81 recommendation. You'll blow right on up/over to Fulton, where you'll take a left on Broadway and go straight on until you start to see the brown and yellow Faire signs. From the time you get onto 481, you'll make a grand total of 4 turns, including the one into the Sterling parking lot.  ;D

Also note, if you're hitting 81/481 at 11 AM, you're putting your arrival at Stratford at around 12:15 or thereabouts. Nothing wrong with that, just didn't want you to be surprised that the thing will be in full swing by the time you arrive.

Welcome! I'm sure you'll have a great time! Have a good trip.

laedyfaire

hi...thanks for the advice..we are coming in on friday to the sunset campgrounds in oswego...so we do not have to deal with all of this on sat..would the wraparound still work? thanks sooooo much..LF

MMario

Sunset Cabins?  If so, you will probably be better to stay on 481 until it intersects with 104 in Oswego and then head west on 104.  The Faire site would be easier if you sigged, but Sunset Cabins it would be more ocnvenient going through Oswego.

MMario

Aaroncois

Quote from: laedyfaire on July 06, 2009, 11:46:54 AM
hi...thanks for the advice..we are coming in on friday to the sunset campgrounds in oswego...so we do not have to deal with all of this on sat..would the wraparound still work? thanks sooooo much..LF

Absolutely. You'll just be turning farther north in MMario's scenario than you would if you were going directly to the main gates. But you'll be off 481 by that point (and way past 81) anyway.

Lady Amy of York

Hey  girlfriend   ....Deffinitely take  the  481.    That is  the  route  i was  trying  to think  of  the  other  day   when   I  emailed  you.   Tim and  I  take  the  481   all  the  time  when we are traveling  thru  Syracuse.   We  find  it actually  saves us  time    and  headaches too !   The  traffic on  I-81  this  time    of  year on a friday  is  bad  enough  even  without  road  construction.  Add  road  construction on top of that and not  fun at  all.

Seeing how i  know  the  route  you are taking,  since i use  to live   down that  way,  and i still take  it  to  see  my  parents  i  would  take  the  New  York  state  thruway   to  the   81  and  then  get on the  481  and  bypass   Syracuse   and  then   once on the  481   , look  for  the  104  and   stay on it   to Oswego.

Matter of fact i  just looked at Mapquest.com.  Don't take  the  route  they  suggest.   Stick  to   the   New  york state thruway    I-90-  to I-81 to 481  to  the  104.      It take  us  about  6  to  7  hours  to get   from     where we live here in Watertown , down  to  my  parents  in  the  Poughkeepsie /Wappingers Falls  area  ,  who i know  are across  the  river  from  around  where  you live,  so  i  would   figure  on giving  yourself    atleast  five  to  6 hours  to get  there.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

laedyfaire

hi...thanks everyone for your time and input. i received good directions from sterling scot..( thanks again ) and it is what you all seem to recommend, except you Amy! we did think of going the thruway way..there is no traffic going through utica and oneida? hhmmmm..

i do know one thing..we are NOT leaving sunday to head back home, as i thought at first we should. ANY way back south is nuts in the summer. 17 or thruway..backed up for miles and miles..all the city people heading home. so we will leave monday morning.

who all will be there this weekend? i will start another thread. see you all there :)) and thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! LF

Lady Amy of York

There is not much traffic at all on the  new  york state  thruway  if  you  are  not traveling on  a  holiday   or  a holiday weeknd.  atleast  i have  always  made  good  time.   the only time  we sometimes  hit traffic  is  around  albany,  and  that is only if  we  hit  it at  rush hour  during  the  work week.  Like  I  said, we have  always  made  good  time, unless traveling  on a holiday weekend, which we  try not  to  do.

If  you are heading   back south  on Sunday i  would  say  leave  early, cause yea,  you hit  everyone   heading  back  to  the  city. if  you can't leave early  then  wait  till monday.

Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling