News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fired...

Started by Trillium, July 15, 2009, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trillium

Quote from: Breandan on July 17, 2009, 02:46:42 AM
If you are close to the Woodlands, a good agency for clerical is Meador Staffing, they handle higher-end clients from that office, usually pretty decent pay, and they are nice folks. Wife has worked through them before.

I have an appt. with the Meador Staffing in Clear Lake on Monday.   I live in Texas City, so I can comfortably work in Galveston, Clear Lake area, Friendswood...
Got faerie dust?

Taarna

Wow Trill, your right down the street from myself, the Yard Troll, and the Flaming Bonsia! LOL (San Leon is where I hang my wings!)
Best of luck to you on the job search. My son has also been looking for work, basicly unemployed since Ike took out Pappadeoux in Seabrook. It's not pretty out there.
If ya ever want to just hang out let me know.
A chill in the air, over your shoulder, the Ice Queen's cold stare, you can only be one place. The Texas Ren Faire!

LadyShadow

Oh wow.  I'm just a lil further down the road in Bacliff.  Talk about small world.

Ok, Trill I talked to my Mom.  She said as of right now she dont know of anything.  But of course in way of staff agencies theres Office Team, Meador, Links, and I think one more around this area.

She also said that Career Builder and Monster usually have a good stream of admin work.

Again best of luck, and I'll continue to keep an ear out.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

cowgrrl

If health insurance is not an issue you might look into substitute teaching.  You can pick your days, schools & even grade levels you want to sub in.  I know here they pay about $65/day.

lordwriothsley

Trill,
Another good site to use is Monster.Com. They usually come up with some really good leads for what you are looking for in the field you are looking in.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"

isisdy

Well I don't know if it will help but you might be able to pick up a job of that sort with Jacobs. Try their personell office 281-842-9116 they might be able to set you up either in the office or on a big run of turn-arounds they are having in Baytown. I know it's a bit of a drive but it's money right? And how funny is that we are just a bit further down the road than Lady Shadow, we are in Clear Lake. If you don't mind being a time keeper or expiditer type Jacobs may be able to get you where you need to be, at least for the time being.

Shawn

Trillium

Got faerie dust?

Yrose

Don't forget Craigslist too. We run ads all the time on there. But ours are for plumbers usually.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

isisdy

LadyShadow

Jacobs aint the only construction company.  Theirs Bay, Zachry, De Jean, and a couple of others.  There have been many a job that, including Jacobs, was down in Texas City.

Breandan

if all else fails, you could always borrow startup money (or beat it out of random strangers, seems to be my wife's preference) and start up a side-business to bring in something in the interim. Be amazed how many folks on these forums have at one time- or still do- make pretty decent money with online/ebay jewelry or other cottage industry sales  :)
Author, bladesmith, and fuzzy teddybear.

"I've fought my wars and drank my mead in this life, the afterlife for me will be one endless renaissance festival with an old-school tabletop game store the size of a Costco next door ;D " - me

isisdy

Quote from: LadyShadow on July 18, 2009, 07:46:34 AM
Jacobs aint the only construction company.  Theirs Bay, Zachry, De Jean, and a couple of others.  There have been many a job that, including Jacobs, was down in Texas City.
Well the reason I sugest Jacobs is that I work for them and know that the construction market is pretty dry and Jacobs is hiring right now.

LadyShadow

Good to know one of them is.  Hard hit community there.  Hubby and almost everyone we know work construction.  Lost a couple of friends who had to move outta state just to find work.

Riot

Just do not move to Miami for the construction business..
"I'm sweet, innocent, virginal, and full of all things goodness and light"

Ryk Rakham

Quote from: Trillium on July 15, 2009, 02:14:41 PM
It finally happened...as of this morning, I am unemployed.  9 years of service to the company and they suddenly think I'm incompetent. ::) >:(  I applied for unemployment but who knows if I'll get it.  Their cheap arses have a way of getting out of it paying up.  I'm going to temp agencies tomorrow, just don't have it in me today.

If anyone knows of any administrative positions on the south-side of town, let me know!

Sorry Trillium. I work with the Texas Workforce and have seen some 7300 folks come through our office in Wichita County who have lost their jobs, very disheartening. Wish you were up here, we have openings and you might try the Workforce Centers in that area. Do go to the Texas Workforce Commission website and start by registering with Work In Texas, you must do this first to sign up for unemployment. Just make sure and fill in all the information on the unemployment application (it is much easier to do it online than on the phone) and include information as to why you believe you were fired through no fault of your own including any reason why you believe they let you go. There are jobs out there and once you get registered with Work In Texas you can do a job search on there. Good luck and feel free to email me if you need anything at all.
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry