News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Fired...

Started by Trillium, July 15, 2009, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryk Rakham

P.S. I forgot to mention that I had lost my job and went to work with the Workforce 4 weeks later. And it is true that Texas funds for unemployment have run out for now, but the federal government will continue to pay Texas unemployment and you will continue to get your benefits/payments. A news story that people wouldn't get their money was in error. Texas will receive money from Uncle Sam to cover UI and Texas' budget will eventually be adjusted to cover payments.
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

Trillium

I met Meador yesterday and they gave me a few other job boards to set up with.  I applied online with Office Team this morning and have another staffing agency to do this afternoon.  I applied for a few other positions yesterday but I honestly don't have much hope in it.  I've been trying for almost a year and never even received a call back.  I know I was being a bit more picky then and not putting myself out there as much but it's difficult to be hopeful.  I figured out our bills and we'll be OK until the 15th.  I'm not sure what we'll do then if I don't have any work and I don't get unemployment... ???
Got faerie dust?

LadyShadow

I used to work for Office Team.  They are great on getting you work and now.  Usually within a week of being hired on they have a job for you.  Although I have heard nothing but bad things about Meador.

But best of luck.
May the stars always shine upon you and yours.

Royal Order of Landsharks Guppy # 98 :)

raevyncait

I too am unemployed, and I have been since the middle of May. 
I'm registered on the following boards:
Monster - which has mostly proven to be useless to me, I've applied for anywhere from 3-10 postings per week and the ONLY response I've ever gotten is the automated "thank you for your interest, we will be contacting you shortly".  The staffing agencies I've applied to through Monster include Adecco, Ajilon, Imprimis (for whom I've worked before), Office Team, and Apple One. NONE of them have even bothered to respond to me beyond the 'application received' auto-responder, or even return phone calls, yet they continue to post the SAME JOB over and over.

CareerBuilder - I did find a posting from a firm within my field, which directed me to their website, and ultimately resulted in an interview that I think went well, however they were looking for more experience with contracts than what I have, and I can't really fault them for that. All of the rest of the postings I've applied to through them have been duds as well.

HotJobs by Yahoo - Largely repeats of postings on Monster and CareerBuilder, and a disproportionate number of what I suspect to be scams, work from home schemes, mystery shoppers, and continue your education crap. I think I've found 1 possibility on this site.

DFWHelpWanted - this seems to be a division of regionalhelpwanted.com, and in my opinion is nothing but BS and SCAMMERS trying to sign you up for continuing education programs. Virtually every job posted directs you to NES Staffing, which then tries to fool you into agreeing to be contacted regarding online education programs etc. I've already gotten my first SPAM phone call which I didn't answer, but when I searched the number, it came up as related to that company.  NES seems also to be part of a group called Beyond.com, which I've only seen throough this site as well.

Jobing - I've submitted a resume or two through there, and honestly, of the major boards I've come across, this one seems to be the most genuine, and has the lowest percentage of BS work from home and internet jobs, in my experience.  I haven't had any luck actually getting interviews, however it's one of my more recent registrations.

Work In Texas - I'm registered as part of my Unemployment requirements, but largely have found it not all that useful.  a significant number of my "matches"   miles one way.  One of them today is over a HUNDRED MILES AWAY. I have to hope that when I click "not interested on thse that are too far away that it won't cost me my benefits by being considered "turning down a job lead."
Raevyn
IWG 3450
The ORIGINAL Pipe Wench
Wench @ Large #2
Resident Scottish Gypsy
Royal Aromatherapist

Ryk Rakham

Work In Texas - I'm registered as part of my Unemployment requirements, but largely have found it not all that useful.  a significant number of my "matches"   miles one way.  One of them today is over a HUNDRED MILES AWAY. I have to hope that when I click "not interested on thse that are too far away that it won't cost me my benefits by being considered "turning down a job lead."

It won't. You do not have to take a job that is too far away, or even respond to it. You can set your parameters to keep the job hits at less than 100 miles. WIT is not the most user friendly site, but occasionally really good jobs get posted on there, and if you play with it you can narrow down your job matches to more of what you are looking for. The best way to find a really good job is of course, networking. You have lots of Faire friends and maybe something will cross one of their paths. Hang in there Trill! There is still magic in this old world!
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

renfairephotog

All of our job listings are from real companies. You won't find work-at-home scams, recruiters, or staffing agencies. You also won't find the same job listed multiple times from different sources. We point you directly to the single source for the job - the company website. If you choose to apply to a position you do so directly to the employer.

http://www.linkup.com/about.php
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Blue66669

Quote from: renfairephotog on July 22, 2009, 11:36:19 PM
All of our job listings are from real companies. You won't find work-at-home scams, recruiters, or staffing agencies. You also won't find the same job listed multiple times from different sources. We point you directly to the single source for the job - the company website. If you choose to apply to a position you do so directly to the employer.

http://www.linkup.com/about.php

I LOVE THIS SITE!!!
Blaidd Drwg

-:-Juju-:-

Meador Staffing and Office Team have both been VERY helpful with me.

My current (and incredibly AWESOME) job was found thanks to Office Team.

Also, regarding Meador, I used to work for them directly as the Office Coordinator and latter Staffing Consultant (I did interviews, job matches, scheduling,  etc.) Which Branch did you go to? If you need any help with resumes or helpful hints when dealing with staffing agencies, please do not hesitate to ask..I know the biz lol.

Also, I don't know how long you'll be unemployed (Certinaly hoping not long my dear! But if for some reason the market is still lackluster..)..I just received a promotion and they are now looking for an Admin to fill my empty shoes. THey will probably not hire until closer to October, when we have our new building (lucky me..we're out of office space in our current location so I'm stuck with my old job AND my new job until then!). But hey...just wanted to put a word our for you. I'll check back closer to Oct and see if you're still looking, or heck, if you've found a job but maybe aren't too pleased with it. My company is AMAZING..best benefits and structure I've ever encountered...I'm sure you'd like it here..everyone is friendly and laid back, we're like a family.

Anyhoo...off my rant, now.

I hope you encounter good luck with the job searching! I'm open to help if needed; always glad to help a fellow Rennie :)

"To Err is Human. To ARRR is Pirate"
Time flies when yer havin' rum!
McLotofus | PhoenixRisen | GearheadGamerGeekGirl

Trillium

I CANNOT be unemployed for long.  Especially if I don't get unemployment.  I really don't want to lose my house and car less than a year after purchase!!!  Plus my hubby's truck payment and he is in school to become a massage therapist and we don't want him to have to drop out.  :P   

I've heard absolutely nothing from anyone yet.  I know it's only been a week but I don't have much time or savings.  (OK, no savings, just my vacation check...).  I live in Texas City and would prefer not go in to Houston, but have no problem with Galveston, League City/Clear Lake area, Friendswood, Pearland, Baytown, Pasadena...  I'm online most of the day searching and applying, trying not to freak out too badly.
Got faerie dust?

Wolfden

The best resource for finding a job is through networking, talk to your family and friends and get referrals to someone they know, then to someone they know and so forth. Keep in mind that 80% of all job openings are not advertised, they get filled by a referral from another employee or family member. One resource is LinkedIn which can help you make connections and get introductions to people who may be hiring. Another option is Between Jobs Ministries (nwbc.org) located in NW Houston. It may be a fair distance away for some, but they meet once a week and may be worth the drive. Instructions for registering are on their website.

-:-Juju-:-

As far as not hearing from Staffing Agencies, that is very common.

They want you to call them, honestly. I don't know why but it seems they are usually incapable of pickign up a phone and calling people..lol.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as the motto goes, and in the Staffing world, that is especially true. Call the availability line every day and report to them, call the main office and check in with them, re-introduce yourself, ask how you did on their assessment tests, ask if they offer any advancement courses if your scores weren't outstanding, or even if they were..go in and take more courses. I know a LOT of people that may not have caught my eye at first when I did job placements for Meador, but after seeing them come in a lot and work to further their scores, or calling every day, they often were fresh on my mind by the time we had placement meetings and needed a candidate for certain jobs.

Just my two bits :)
"To Err is Human. To ARRR is Pirate"
Time flies when yer havin' rum!
McLotofus | PhoenixRisen | GearheadGamerGeekGirl

Trillium

I know I did great on the placement tests, all of them were impressed.  I'll do that next week.  My son was diagnosed with swine flu this morning, so we're both basically quarantined through the weekend.
:P ::)
Got faerie dust?

Queen Bonnie

OH NO! Not swine flu too!
  I hope your son gets over it soon- and you don't get sick!
HUGS- from a distance! Hope things get better soon! *Waves magick healing wand!* POOF!<<<<<!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

knarlyknot

Oh My Trillium, I'm sure things will look up for you soon, I believe everything happens for a reason, perhaps you are only out of work now so that you can take care of your son during his illness.  Here's hoping to a speedy recovery and a successful job hunt.

lordwriothsley

OMG Trill this couldn't have come at a worse time for your son to be diagnosed with the swine flu. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your son during this awful time and like everyone else has said here's hoping that you don't get sick either. By the way best of luck to you on your job search as well. Don't give up cause I have faith in you that something will come your way soon my dear.

Hugs and love to you as always lass.
Irish Penny Brigade
IBRSC# 1584
Part Time Noble
Full Time Rogue
Overall Ren Geek
Man of many names
"Did I say that"