News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

looks like it will be another wet weekend

Started by duffy, July 21, 2009, 05:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duffy

didnt make it this past weekend, i had to work, going this sunday though. the wife is only off sundays on the weekend and this year just seems to be full of wet sundays. i guess i will be shopping for and buying a cloak for both of us. hope to see you there, just look for the kilted pirate sunday :)

irish

Hey now!!!
How would the Pirates ships get in, without the rain water???  ???
;D
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Khaalis

Its rather depressing actually. We've not had many good weather days this year so far. If the rain is as bad as predicted (like 2 Sat. ago), it will probably be a general wash-out for the weekend. I am really hoping the forecast changes between now and then.
Rogue, Merc and certified RenRat

duffy

yeah i know what you mean, i was there that saturday. we did the renewal of vows that day and the rain pretty much ruined everything. i usually ride my motorcycles to work and this year i have only done that a half dozen times. even my garden looks terrible this year due to excessive rain and cool temps.

Master James

Well we're coming up from VA to see Sterling for the first time so I'm really hoping it doesn't rain that heavily.  A little rain I can deal with, a downpour is a bummer!
Why can't reality be more like faire?
Clan M'Crack
RenVet
Royal Order of Landsharks #59
FoMDRF
RFC #51

Tazworth

I dunno. Other than the short burst of heavy rain the one day, I think we have had absolutely perfect weather. I would much rather have nice cool breezy days than the 80's and 90's and high humidity. Wearing  proper garb in the heat is a drag. Especially if you are pulling the queens carriage or dunking people lol.
People have been scared away by weather forecasts I think. Our attendance this year is down and I think people are looking at the weather and deciding to spend their money on a day that they can get the most out of it. Which makes sense. Problem is, the forecasts either come from Rochester which is 2 hours west or Syracuse which is an hour south. With the NY terrain and Lake Ontario influence, you can never really trust those forecasts. I would like a dollar for every time I have looked across the street and seen rain falling at the neighbors but not in my yard or vice versa. I live 15 minutes west of Faire and quite often see a hue difference in weather on my journey there.
All I can says is that if you plan to come out a certain day. Just do it. Brave the weather. Dress and prepare appropriately. Out of all the years I have been going, I can only remember one day that the rain lasted the majority of the day. We still had plenty of people there that day too. This phrase is pretty common around this area...."If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes, it will change"
Brett aka Tazworth
Founder of Family of Faire

ALS

QuoteThis phrase is pretty common around this area...."If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes, it will change"

I can remember when rain didn't matter. I think its a manifestation of the insular, iPod, cellphone, laptop, home theater existance that America now leads. Opening day of the '98 season, first year in our permanent booth, it began raining at 8 AM, it rained literally all day, by the end so much that faire closed 1/2 hour early. We were there till 7:15 taking care of all the customers we had and there were still patrons milling around. I noticed the forcast begining to be a factor around '02 or so. There were many a day by '05 where we might just as well have been there by our sleves because rain had been forcast and ner a drop had been seen at the show. I was in Pulaski all weekend about 25 minutes away at a weekend long event. On and off rain was forcast all weekend. We never saw a drop. In fact I got sunburned. I didn't see a drop of rain until I was back in Rochester yesterday. Ignore the forcast and just go, like Brett said, wait a minute it'll change.

Lord Finger

I don't care if it snows, I'll be there Sunday

duffy

we go every chance we can and it pretty much rains every time. maybe its just bad luck, but the rain doesnt stop us.

Lord Finger

Hopefully it doesn't stop many mundanes either. Pirate weekend tends to be a big draw. At least, that's the weekend I hear mundanes talk about going.

Tygrkat

*sigh*

Alas, this will be ANOTHER weekend I don't think we'll make thanks to my (recently) sprained foot. I just can't imagine navigating those lanes on crutches  :(
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

duffy

Quote from: Tygrkat on July 22, 2009, 03:56:51 PM
*sigh*

Alas, this will be ANOTHER weekend I don't think we'll make thanks to my (recently) sprained foot. I just can't imagine navigating those lanes on crutches  :(

we can wheel yah to the bad dog and leave yah there till closing time ;D

irish

{puts Tygrkat in an empty Rum barrel....  ::)......"Roll out Tygrkat ........rolling in a barrel that had Rum"}   ;D
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Aaroncois

Quote from: Tazworth on July 22, 2009, 12:38:11 PM
People have been scared away by weather forecasts I think. Our attendance this year is down and I think people are looking at the weather and deciding to spend their money on a day that they can get the most out of it.

I've done this. I typically only go once a year, so I definitely try to pick a day when the weather will be as cooperative as possible. It ain't easy, but it beats being stuck in either relentless downpours or sweltering heat.

Ozium

If you can get to Sterling just go! Like Taz said " if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes".
After your wet to the bone it just don't matter much anymore, we have still had wonderful
wet faire days. And sometimes it is ever more fun in the rain.

It's Harbor Fest weekend also, usually the busiest  weekend at Sterling.

Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis