News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Faire on What not to Wear

Started by bellevivre, July 22, 2009, 09:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellevivre

Still faire related:

Jul 24, 9:00 pm

What Not to Wear
Ariel

Ariel, a 26-year old Renaissance Fair kissing wench is more comfortable playing historical characters than being her 21st Century-self. Can Stacy and Clinton convince her to ditch the costumes and take a leading role in her own fashion story?

I love Stacy and Clinton... lol they just better not bag on Faire TOO bad!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Belle the Kat

Clan Procrastination's Ambassador to the Seelie & UnSeelie Courts

Athena

Yeah, I love 'em too but I can already hear the smarta$$ comments.....I hope they don't trash her garb! *breaking into a cold sweat at the thought of a bodice being tossed in the trash can*
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

bellevivre

lol they ought to at least appreciate the amount of money and TIME we put into this stuff!
Belle the Kat

Athena

No kidding. They keep harping about the fit of the garment. Well, HELLO, what shapes a woman's figure better than a bodice?  :)
I hope she doesn't wear the any garb outside of faire, because it'll get tossed for sure!

Oh, and the thought of spending $5000 on mundane clothes also leaves me in a cold sweat, even if the money isn't mine. $5000 on garb? That would be my own personal nirvana!  ;D
A book is like a garden carried in the pocket. ~ Chinese Proverb

Anna Iram

I surfed past this show earlier today. Not this episode but another. What caught my eye was Stacy holding a mans doublet in one hand and a medieval gown in another while the "victim" was showing off her husbands cavalier hat. Seems they like to visit teir local faire. They gave her a bit of a ribbing, and teased her about the  Puss and Boots look a bit, but they were nice about it. The garb went back in the closet. :)

Welsh Wench

Quote from: Athena on July 22, 2009, 09:38:58 PM
*breaking into a cold sweat at the thought of a bodice being tossed in the trash can*

Oooh...dumpster diving!  ;D
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

captmarga

Quote from: bellevivre on July 22, 2009, 09:33:38 PM
Still faire related:

Jul 24, 9:00 pm

What Not to Wear
Ariel

Ariel, a 26-year old Renaissance Fair kissing wench is more comfortable playing historical characters than being her 21st Century-self. Can Stacy and Clinton convince her to ditch the costumes and take a leading role in her own fashion story?

I love Stacy and Clinton... lol they just better not bag on Faire TOO bad!

I've always been afraid they'd do an episode like that.  Yeah, right.  When they can dress reasonable, HA, or acceptable for Faire (and not in rental costumes, but oh, Taylored silk and breathable fabrics in the right colors...) then maybe.  For the most part, they occasionally give good advice.  But there are times they should just SHUT UP (to quote a host of the show). 

My mundane wardrobe is today's fashions from top stores.  And it matters not to me if I have a lot of "ren-looking stuff...Tough....

Scary thoughts.

Capt Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

analise

Quote from: Anna Iram on July 22, 2009, 10:13:37 PM
I surfed past this show earlier today. Not this episode but another. What caught my eye was Stacy holding a mans doublet in one hand and a medieval gown in another while the "victim" was showing off her husbands cavalier hat. Seems they like to visit teir local faire. They gave her a bit of a ribbing, and teased her about the  Puss and Boots look a bit, but they were nice about it. The garb went back in the closet. :)

Uh, if the victim was actually the husband and you're talking about the footage at the beginning of the show, that's where they're showing how the "victim" can't dress. The stuff doesn't end up in the garbage until later in the show when they haul the victim off to NYC and go through their warddrobe on set.

mehan

There was a thread about this on wench.org - I understand it was a kissing wench from georgia.  I don't know that anyone knew anything as a fact, but the statements were that the garb wasn't trashed as it was her "work attire" but she was given the kabash for wearing garb outside of faire. 

Personally I am addicted to the show (and say Yes to the Dress) - but I have no idea why.  They squash every bit of personality of all their victims and give the exact same advice to every woman, tall short, young old, squat, svelte....... and cut everyone's hair in the same style.   In earlier shows, they had some folks rebel - but now a days, they all conform.... yet every Friday night me and my wine plunk down for hours and watch it....... gosh I need to get a life outside of faire season....

Charlotte Rowan

Oh god.... don't trash the garb!! I'll have to tune in tomorrow night.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Lady Renee Buchanan

I can't tell you the last time I watched TV.  Really, I can't.  But I want to watch this. What channel is it on?  If someone can give me the name of the Network, I'll find it on our satellite guide.  I really want to see her garb, not what she will end up with.  Thanks!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

bellevivre

Belle the Kat

Dev

I think garb should be worn only at the faire or on appropriate occasions, work-wise.  Just as during the period we try to portray, there was a way you dressed and certain things that were inappropriate, the same thing is true today.

Some of the people on that show NEED an intervention - the ones who wear sweat pants everywhere, really baggy stuff, patterns so loud they could overpower a jet engine, polyester EVERYTHING, and really bad/inappropriate makeup.  But they're really pushy about what's "in" to the point that everyone comes out of that show looking the same.

Another thing that bothers me is that they give everyone the same generic short haircut.  Some people need it, like if they haven't trimmed their hair in years or they have a foot of brown roots from a fried blonde dye job, but if someone has longer hair and it's not in bad condition but they just don't know how to style it, then they should teach them how to style it...not cut it off and be like "Oh it's easy to take care of now!"  That's not true for some people - for instance, I keep my hair long (trimmed regularly) so I can straighten it if I feel like it or straighten just my bangs and pull it back in a bun if I don't feel like dealing with it; if it were short I'd have to straighten it every day or leave it curly (which I hate the look of on me).

Ditzy Gypsy

Hah! I'll have to record it! I don't usually watch that show, but I'm curious to see what happens. I remember an episode I caught over a year ago had a girl who wore one of those clip on raccoon tails with her normal clothes.

Lady Rebecca

^I saw that one. It was before I'd ever attended a faire, and was thoroughly weirded out by her tail. Of course, I do still think wearing it outside of faire is a little odd...

I'm so excited that tomorrow is my day off! I'm definitely going to have to try and catch this episode. I don't usually watch it at the normal prime-time slot, just when it's randomly on during the day.

However, I love Say Yes to the Dress! :)