News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Did anyone watch or remember the show Gargoyles?

Started by Selkie, May 20, 2008, 08:59:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Selkie

I know this isn't a movie, but this was the forum that fit it the closest. I remember watching this cartoon all the time  back in the mid 90s,  back when I was little. It was a wonderful blend of fantasy, action and adventure,  and romance with Shakespearian literature, multi-cultural folklore and mythology thrown in. But I figure it seems like something a lot of people around here would like it.

It intertwined history from the Dark Ages, Shakespearian figures like Macbeth, Puck, Titania and Oberon and a whole slew of other fae from other cultures, brought up current topics that are still valid today. Something that adults and kids could enjoy, without it being dumbed down. Hard to believe it came from Disney. :)

For those who might not know, Gargoyles  centered around six gargoyles (Goliath mainly, Hudson, Lexington, Broadway, Brooklyn and Bronx would be named later) who had once lived in an ancient Scottish castle and protected it and the humans that lived there. In return, the humans guarded them during the day, as that was when they slept in stone. Of course, not all the humans there were grateful for their protection. After a Viking attack, they were betrayed and placed under a magic spell for 1,000 years, until they awoke in modern day Manhattan. They encounter amoral foes like David Xanatos and the courageous  detective Elisa Maza.

The show only had two seasons, and a third one that wasn't part of the original canon. The first season and the first half of the second season have been released on dvd and there's now a comic series, picking up from where the second season left off. You can also catch slightly edited episodes on Toon Disney.

Today, the Gargoyles fandom is still going strong, after over 10 years. They have a yearly convention called The Gathering, where they show art, display costumes of the show's characters and generally work to get the show back on the air and continue Greg Weisman's (the co-creator) unique idea.

I'd just thought I'd open up a conversation for the forum and reminisce on something I enjoyed so greatly from my childhood, a show that has something in common with many of the interests people on this board like.
"I am a woman upon the land, I am a seal in the sea..."

beeboy

I thought that show was the greatest thing ever

Selkie

Indeed.  ;D If only more of today's cartoons and other shows could be more like it.

Morgan Dreadlocke

Cornel Wilde was in a "Gargoyles" movie around the mid 70's.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

renfairephotog

The Gathering is in Chicago this year near the end of July I think.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

DeadBishop

Loved that toon.  Especially with the number of Trek actors that did voice work for it... ;D

R/F.com member since 2003

Ottheinrich

Var Greyshadow

I remember the first time I discovered it - my jaw just dropped.  I watched it all the time after that.  Gargoyles was more than just a kid's toon.  There was plenty there to get the adults thinking too.  I loved how it went back and forth from the past, to the near future, to the land of faerie.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"

Poco the Pirate

I was really really little when it was on, but I remeber daddy and I used to sit there every saturday, I think it was, and watch that while eating banana nut oatmeal.  I never got any of the adult stuff out of it but it was my all time favorite show when I was itty bitty.
You never know when a leperon might attack

Lady_Glorianna

Remember, I am a big fan. I have purchased the two official collections that have been put out and anxiously await the release of the rest. I have collected some of the comic book versions of the time and I am also subscribed to the current comic book being published which elaborates a lot more on some of the episodes of the series and the relationships specially the one between Eliza and Goliath.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

analise

Oh, I've always adored that show (and been in love with Puck from it. ;) ). I've got both of the dvds that were released and I really really want them to release vol 2 of season 2 since that's where all the good Avalon/Puck/Titania/Oberon stuff really is!

Jean Pierre Dewell

WOW I remember that show wish it didn't end like it did but I wonder if it's on DVD now hmm need to check that out.
Jean Pierre Dewell
Royal Musketeer
All for One and One for All!!
LONG LIVE THE MUSKETEERS!!

Lady_Glorianna

As Selkie wrote, the first season and the first half of the second season are out on DVD. As for the rest as per Mr Wiseman himself, Disney has put further releases on hold pending the sales of the two that are out.
Lady Elizabeth Poyntz
Ynez de Leon
Catherine of Austria, Queen consort of Portugal
Molly Blair

NoBill Lurker

You know I hate when they say "pending on the sales of...." because it probably doesn't help the sales if some people know that they will never be able to get the whole collection and decide not to bother getting any of it at all.
So what are you doing this weekend?
I'm going to BARF!!!
You're going to...wait...WHAT???

Selkie

That's why it's important for the fans to get the word out about the series being on dvd and actually purchase them. Leave it to Disney to not promote it, something that was really ground-breaking for them, imho. We need to act as a clan, rise above the corporate dogs and get the rest of it released! Free the gargoyles!