News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Has the popularity of Pirates passed?

Started by Obadiah Jib, July 30, 2009, 12:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

With the event of the POTC movies we saw a HUGE surge in the popularity of pirates.  Do you think that this has passed?  Are pirates becoming passe?  OR do you think the pirate passion is still all the rage?
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Captain Jack Wolfe

I think the fad of pirates has passed.  The novelty is gone.  I think we'll still see that hardcores like you and me, but the "paper hat" pirates will be in far lesser numbers.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Welsh Wench

As long as there are boots and women who admire them, pirates aren't going anywhere.  ;)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

Then I'll never be without my boots again.  Well, under certain circumstances, I could be enticed to part with them temporarily...  ;) :D
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

renren

I think I shall always be a fan of pirates, and love dressing as one! :)
Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

Brother Robert of Essex

I can't imagine it ever really dwindling - it seems to me there are a VAST number of pirates at the fair, so much so I often wonder why they don't just go ahead and make a Pirate Faire!   It's a huge attraction for people, it seems.

I'm sure the fact these pirates don't suffer from scurvy or run you through with a sword to snatch your gold, helps a lot  ;D

Monsignor de Beaumanoir

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on July 30, 2009, 12:09:21 PM
With the event of the POTC movies we saw a HUGE surge in the popularity of pirates.  Do you think that this has passed?  Are pirates becoming passe?  OR do you think the pirate passion is still all the rage?

You raise an interesting question here.

If the government has its way, the pirate image will be put aside for something less ethically threatening like maybe Capt Ron.

But as your fellow "Sea Dogs" have pointed out, there's a hard core group of you, who won't let the image of the freebooting swash buckler vanish without a fight, and for that you're to be commended.

Please do me one favor though......ask this question again in 2010 after the release of Russell Crowe as Robin Hood..... :P ;) ;D

Lady Amy of York

Quote from: Welsh Wench on July 30, 2009, 12:29:08 PM
As long as there are boots and women who admire them, pirates aren't going anywhere.  ;)

Amen to that, girlfriend ! ;D ;)
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Carl Heinz

Probably depends on the event.  Elizabethan events generally always had a number of privateers, seamen, and accompanying wenches.  RPFS and RPFN had a Sea Dogs troupe for a number of years.  It still exists and still sings at Northern.  (A nephew is a member.)  There are pirate festivals.

Tricorns were actually a bit later with referance to Elizabethan garb.

However, the adjustments made by vendors probably encourage it.

Did see fewer Captain Jacks this last year, but there was a truly stunning pirate wench and several others who were quite good.  :)
Carl Heinz
Guild of St Cuthbert

Lady Renee Buchanan

After visiting Bristol two out of the past 3 Sundays, it doesn't look like their popularity is waning at all.  There are as many as ever.

And later this summer, Captain Steve Dorset and Keeper of the Parrot, Redbird Annie Cardinal, both of the Ocean Motion, will visit the shire to plunder and have fun.   ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Blaze

The fad-chasers will always come and go........ but the core guilds are still stable and in some cases steadily increasing.

(an observation from an RF.com newbie....... but a pirate for ages!)

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Quote from: Obadiah Jib on July 30, 2009, 12:09:21 PM

OH BUT there is a NEW PoTC on the Horizan, Avast ye Thar be Cap'n Jack.

Once that happens Pirates will once again be the craze
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Blaze

There will be 2 more POTC, but if I remember correctly Knightley & Bloom have opted out of at least the upcoming one.

Captain Jack Wolfe

Knightley opted out and Bloom won't be asked back, is more the case.  PotC 4 is in the Disney "pipeline"-- no script, no contracts, no schedule.  Depp is the only one committed so far.  So we have a while to wait.

And this comes from a dear friend who's worked in Disney's central casting for over 20 years.  She's never been wrong yet.

MacKee

Not as long as The Backyardigans sing...A Pirate Says Arrgh  :) ;) :D ;D

The Order of Culloden Moor