News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"Capt Blood" remake....

Started by maelstrom0370, August 03, 2009, 12:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maelstrom0370

Rani Zemirah

DUDE!!!  I'd totally watch it!  

But it had better be good... you just can't screw around with Captain Blood...

Oh yeah, I thought Treasure Planet was Awesome, and my daughter and I watch it more than most of her other movies! 

she still thinks I bought it for her... :P
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Captain Jack Wolfe

COOL!!!

And they could have people fighting with ray guns and energy swords, just like Star Wars!   ::) :P :D

This is a train wreck waiting to happen.  Tell the original story with a solid screenplay, good acting, direction, and cinematography, and leave the fuzzy or otherwise aliens out of it.
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Taffy Saltwater

I'm a Treasure Planet fan, too.  It that showed a classic pirate genre story could be set in outer space and given some great visuals, as long as it was true to the story and had good production values. 

When PotC3 came out a couple of years ago there were some rumors going around that 4 (if there was going to be a 4) could be set in space.  4 has been announced recently, but with the idea that it was going to be vastly simplified.  I can't imagine that with the economy in its current position that even Disney would want to put in the uber bucks.  I'd be thrilled if they brought it back to the great story telling that was the hallmark of the first film. 
Sveethot!

Blackjack Roberts

"Out of the blue came a kill-crazy crew,
Whose motto was stomp on the weak.
With bones in their hair,
They was hungry as bears,
And their leader was King of the freaks.
They was... Space Pirates.
The lowest scum of the yellow sun.
They was... Space Pirates.
Sack a galaxy just for fun."

Alice Cooper

Captain Blood was the first pirate movie that I got to see as a child. As a result I was more prone to play Pirates instead of Cowboys-n-Injuns.

That being said, I have a special place in my heart for the movie, and I don't think this is going to come off as much more than a kiddy film that used to be a damn fine romantic pirate movie.

Not that I have anything against movies for children, but I personally would rather see the movie re-vamped and done in the spirit of the original instead of yet another attempt to cut the purses of the parents.

For myself, I feel like I'm helplessly watching someone draw a mustachio on the Mona Lisa. >:(

It just shows the total lack of imagination that pervades Hollywood anymore.

BLAKDUKE

Besides  does anyone remember Ice Pirates????????   It's been done, leave Captain Blood alone unless you are going to do it right with modern filming techniques and on this planet.
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Anna Iram

See now, I think it *could* be done well. Not so much as a space pirate adventure, but in a more serious vein. Thinking with a mood closer to Dune or Bladerunner...maybe?

Welsh Wench

Quote from: Blackjack Roberts on August 04, 2009, 09:50:38 AM

For myself, I feel like I'm helplessly watching someone draw a mustachio on the Mona Lisa. >:(

Or put a pair of Levis on the Statue of David.  ::)
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

maelstrom0370

Hollywood has shown, time and again, that it's completely out of ideas. It seems that the only things coming out anymore are sequels and "reboots". The rebooted Willy Wonka with Michael Jack....I mean Johnny Depp in the lead comes to mind (sorry, the original is a classic and the remake only served to rape my childhood) While I've never seen the original, I think remaking Capt Blood, in space no less, only serves to kiddy it up, thus creating a new line of "gotta have it" toys.

Blackjack Roberts

Quote from: Welsh Wench on August 04, 2009, 01:36:44 PM
Or put a pair of Levis on the Statue of David.  ::)

A sport bra on the Venus de Milo? ::) :D :D

I couldn't agree more, MaelStrom. To steal from another over marketed movie: "I've got a bad feeling about this."

PS. I do like Star Wars....at least it was original.

Rani Zemirah

Never seen the original?!?  :o  It was the book that made me want to sail away on a fast moving ship while I was still too young to appreciate black & white movies!  The fact that the tales are loosely based on the lives of several real people just adds spice to the telling, but that wasn't something I learned until much later. 

The movie was good, but it was nothing compared to the book, and I wouldn't expect the Hollywood of today to do any more with the remake than they did with Treasure Planet... that is, make it into something that I can watch with my child without having to explain much about concepts like slavery, cruelty, rebellion against authoritarianism or the passion to kill that only comes from oppression so deep and abiding that the death of the oppressor is the only remedy...

For that, we have the History Channel, and she listens far more intently to that than to anything Disney ever produced.  We also have the library, where we are going today... and perhaps I'll pick up a copy of Captain Blood this afternoon.  It's been a while for me, and I think she's probably ready, also...
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

RumbaRue

Looks like the movie is coming out as a Steampunk thing.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I agree with Maelstrom, Hollywood is dead of ideas. Captain Blood the original is a classic. What next Gone with the Wind... in Space? One Flew over the Cookoo's nest Horror slasher. Star Wars where Celebrities go to war?. Casablanca on Mars? Give me a break.

I'll pass on Captain Blood in Space. if they wanted to remake it and do it with updated technology and keep it in the time frame, then OK maybe, but not some stupid cartoon or Pixar related movie.

There is SO much history and books that would make great movies or TV but Hollywood can't figure that out.

"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e