News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Great Pyrate adventure books!

Started by Toki Bloodaxe, August 04, 2009, 02:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toki Bloodaxe

I just finished the "Brethren of the Coast" pirate trilogy by James L. Nelson. These books are truly stirring and adventurous pirate novels for fans of action, adventure and romance. I enjoyed the novels tremendously and can recommend them for the author's knowledge of period history, sailing lore and a neat, tight flowing writing style. The books are as follows:

"The Guardship". Set in the very early 1700's, this story concerns former pirate Thomas Marlowe- who gains command of the royal navy watchship off of Jamestown, Virginia through somewhat nefarious means- and his ensuing feud with a truly horrifying former pirate comrade from years back. Captain Thomas Marlowe has time to romance a rich and beautiful widow with a shady past, save Williamsburg, Virginia from a pirate sacking and looting, and meet his nemesis head on in a ship-to-ship action reminiscent of an Errol Flynn movie.

"The Blackbirder". Some years after the events of the previous novel, Thomas Marlowe is now a married and prosperous Virginia planter who wants to get a privateer licence from the governor, but has to instead track down and apprehend a freed slave friend of his who has attacked a slave ship and taken it back to Africa. There is action along the African coast and in the slave camp hells of the human trade in this novel. Marlowe's wife also has an adventure of her own as she tries to ties up a few loose ends from her questionable past.

"The Pirate Round".  When he tries to sell his tobacco in England to beat the price depression brought on by the war in Europe, former pirate Thomas Marlowe encounters a former colleague of his out for revenge. Marlowe must sail to the Red Sea and Madagascar to attack the Indian treasure ships to make good his financial losses. Certain danger and adventure await him there amongst those pirate desperadoes who sail the Indian Ocean looking for easy pickings. Marlowe's swashbuckling wife Elizabeth comes along for her share of the riches and thrills.

James L. Nelson has written other books about the navy during the American Revolution and also books about the Confederate Navy. I haven't read any of these adventures yet. But, I do plan to. His enthusiasm for the subject is just so very infectious.

Blackbead

I wholeheartedly agree with Squire Bloodaxe's recommendation of these books and I am just beginning the saga!  I am already impressed with Mr. Nelson's knowledge of history and seamanship and I am equally impressed, so far, with his characters and plot!

Blackbead
"It's not the gold that sets our sails, 'tis freedom and the promise of a better life that raises our black flags."