News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

This is BRISTOL!!!

Started by Obadiah Jib, August 06, 2009, 08:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obadiah Jib

So I was attending Bristol Faire a few weeks back.  Was wandering about when I over heard something about role-playing.  Thought I would take a look-see.  I saw signs for the BARBARIAN WEAPONS.  Discovered a group of young men between the ages of 18 and 25 listening to one fellow, a large guy clad in armor and leather, telling them to not spit or throw weapons, to fight "like a man", and to die with honor.  His speech was straight out of 300.  These men then choose up in two teams (Spartans & Persians), went down to the jousting area, and in the dust and sand, beat the be-jesus out of each other with foam weapons.

It looked popular but not my tankard of rum.
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Dayna

That is the "in"famous 300 battle.  I know, it's not period, neither is Robin Hood but it brings in the patrons, so we do it. 

There's a lot more to Bristol than Nerf War, I encourage people to come and see for themselves the variety of entertainments for persons of all ages and intentions.

Dayna
Bristol FoF Hench
Dayna Thomas
Nixie's Mom
Bristol FoF Hench
Education Goddess...yeah, right
FoF Merchant Liason/Merchandizing Maven

Vartha

Yeah the idea started at Muskogee Ren Faire or the Castle.
  Barbarian Battles is what it's called or was called there. I haven't seen the same guys there at Bristol this season so it makes me wonder if someone else made their own version.
  Bristol needs things like that IMO, gives something the kids might like to do.

Lord Clisto of York

A few of the same people are there, but the main person was "Jim Gasser also known as Gunnar the Barbarian". He passed away not to long ago in a car accident on his way to the Ca Faire. He was the big influence in this at Bristol. It is mainly a fun thing for kids and teens to do for free, but some adults get in there and mix it up as well. I can tell you that the seating at the joust area is usually full with people watching it. It isn't period, but it is different. Not the first year either. The big guy you saw was our own barbarian Talon. I hope you dod like the rest of the faire.

Lord Clisto of York
Invictus Maneo - I Remain Unvanquished

Obadiah Jib

Love Bristol!  It is a FANTASTIC faire!  In many ways I like it better than my home of MRF.

I did not see any kids engaged in the Barbarian Wars/ Nerf Wars.  Seemed like young men aged 17 to 25.  I guess that younger kids would be "Destroyed" by these guys in the melee.

Overheard one of the Barbarians in the rest room bragging on his victory.  Guy looked like a biker.  He was happy and having a great time retelling the tale as he enjoyed a smoke.  If it brings people in the gate and keeps the festival going I am all for it!  Not my type of fun, I'm more into WMA.

I was surprised they went with Spartans and Persians.  Neither culture would have called themselves "Barbarian".  They may have used Norse, Irish, Saxons, or Picts.  Of course those cultures did not think themselves less civilized either.

Lord Clisto of York

Glad you liked it though. I believe they call it Barbarian battles since it is Barbarians that run it. I am surpriced there werent any kids in it as each weekend like ages 8 and up. They mingle in with the bigger ones and there hasn't really been any injuries.

Obadiah Jib

I can only imagine the kids getting mangled amid the dust and rabble.  Of course kids like that kind of thing... they fear so little.  It is Mom who fears the most!

Lord Clisto of York

TKM

I thought maybe I'd clear this up. Barbarian Battles was founded by a man named Jim Gasser, natively from my home faire in KC. Many of my fellow barbarians run shop in Bristol. I'm not sure who would have been giving that speech, but it's exactly the same kind of talk Jim would have given, rest his soul, and most of the people who run the events now try to follow Jim's example.

By the way, due to legal issues surrounding Jim's death, the company name has changed to Barbarian Weaponry, but Barbarian Battles is still just fine to say.