News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Looking for a better photo of this painting

Started by Harbinger, August 07, 2009, 07:44:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

I'm not sure this is the best place for this, if there is somewhere
better please move the thread.

There is a photo of a painting of Comte de Troisville

I was wondering if anyone has or knows of a better photo
of this painting?

thanks
-harb
Bénigne Dauvergne Saint de Mars
Private First Class, Texas Musketeers
Rex Dolor, Malleus De Deus

captmarga

Hmmmm.  In fairly bad shape, it seems.  It may not be a surviving painting, thus the black and white photo, and not appearing in any catalog of Le Nain bros works.

Their art is very dark, with limited colour palettes.  Look up "Paintings by Le Nain" and you can see examples that do survive, and perhaps get an idea of what it might look like in colour.  I would think it possible his jerkin and slops are black, his boots either charcoal or soft black, and possibly a brown/red cuff.

Can't pinpoint "Chateaus Troisville".  If so, you could look on a site, and often they have postcards available of art in the Chateaux. 

Good luck!

Capt Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

operafantomet

For whatever it's worth, Wikipedia tells that it's a lost work:

Portrait of the Comte de Tréville by Le Nain, which had been hanging in the salon of Troisvilles Castle near to Tardets. Sold by 1954 in Paris, this portrait is since lost.

It MIGHT be in a private collection somewhere, or it might be lost in a fire or similar. His person was fictionalized into Dumas' classic "Three Musketeers", so I would assume whoever owns it would know this and make it known to the world where it was. But you never know. From what I can tell he wears armour and leather boots, but makes sure his lush linen/lace collar and socks are shown. I think your best bet would be to look up books or websites about armour from the 17th century. This one, for example, seems similar:
http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=1122