News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Gates to Open In A Few Weeks.......Where is Everyone?

Started by kcdcchef, August 12, 2009, 10:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norfolk

We'll try to be there both days.  If for no other reason, to see who else shows up.  ;)
Just call me "Your Grace"

Butch

Cool!  I've got a bunch of people from my office who will be there with me at first; we're going on the living history tour at 1030.  Right after the tour, and right before we split up, we're all gonna meet at a beer booth and sing "Don't Forget your old Shipmate".  Should be a lot of fun!  (we've been rehearsing)  Look for us around 1130 (join us if you like!)  It'll be one around where the history tour ends (I don't know where that will be).

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

kcdcchef

Quote from: Gauwyn of Brocknell on September 02, 2009, 05:55:09 PM
what is the living history tour?

you basically get a living tour of the shire and learn all it's ins and outs, how it corelates to that period in history, that sort of thing. it is worth it.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Baron on September 02, 2009, 04:01:01 PM
We'll try to be there both days.  If for no other reason, to see who else shows up.  ;)

It looks like it may be a bit wet  (60%)- Addilay is currently working on some capes :(
See you Friday
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: kcdcchef on September 02, 2009, 05:57:28 PM
Quote from: Gauwyn of Brocknell on September 02, 2009, 05:55:09 PM
what is the living history tour?

you basically get a living tour of the shire and learn all it's ins and outs, how it corelates to that period in history, that sort of thing. it is worth it.

This is our first visit - maybe it is something we should check out. 
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

kcdcchef

Quote from: Gauwyn of Brocknell on September 02, 2009, 06:07:52 PM

This is our first visit - maybe it is something we should check out. 

it can take a bit of time, and you generally wanna make reservations, even though it is free of charge and all. they will show you things all faires have, blacksmith, iron works, the livestock, armoury, etc, etc. so you end up seeing things that every faire has. but worth it because you can see the whole shire rather quickly without getting "lost". rather easy shire to navigate, just keep working your way left and you end up back at the gate eventually!!

Butch

I read about it, and thought it would be neat.  I've never done it, but it says it lasts about an hour.

Norfolk

The Baroness and I have done the tour two or three times.  We found it both enjoyable and quite informative, albeit somewhat different, each time.  Highly recommended, especially for first-time visitors.

Gawyn, where did you hear that this weekend held a 60% chance of rain for the Bonner Springs area.  My favorite weather source (www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=66012) currently shows 20% each day.  That's not to say one shouldn't be prepared, but ...
Just call me "Your Grace"

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Feline Groovy

Quote from: Steev on September 01, 2009, 05:41:59 PM
Quote from: Feline Groovy on August 13, 2009, 07:42:40 AM
I don't know if I'll be able to hit KCRF this year (the commute from the East Coast is a pain)
hey Feline-  my fam and I are going to try and make it this season if you want to caravan...

I'll keep that in mind if I can ever start planning ahead again!  (Here it is, Thursday morning, and I STILL don't know if I'm going to MDRF this weekend or not. ***sigh***)
Where was I going and how do I get there?

Steev

Quote from: Feline Groovy on September 03, 2009, 08:22:29 AM
Quote from: Steev on September 01, 2009, 05:41:59 PM
Quote from: Feline Groovy on August 13, 2009, 07:42:40 AM
I don't know if I'll be able to hit KCRF this year (the commute from the East Coast is a pain)
hey Feline-  my fam and I are going to try and make it this season if you want to caravan...

I'll keep that in mind if I can ever start planning ahead again!  (Here it is, Thursday morning, and I STILL don't know if I'm going to MDRF this weekend or not. ***sigh***)

Oh, you should.  But if you don't make it to MDRF this weekend, I'm sure we'll see you another weekend...
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

Cormac

I am well past ready for KCRF.  Have to wait until Sunday though as my eldest has dance competition on Saturday.  At least we get to go to the Irish Fest after she is done.

We'll be there Sunday (hopefully a bit before opening cannon) and will stay until we collopase or close.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

BTW - I presume like other faires that there is some opening (when would it start)  that occurs prior to the cannon?  Also, what time is a good time to arrive so as to get decent parking?  Or is there any restriction on how early - we like to arrive and have a bit of munchies before we go in.

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

kcdcchef

Quote from: Gauwyn of Brocknell on September 03, 2009, 11:52:48 AM
BTW - I presume like other faires that there is some opening (when would it start)  that occurs prior to the cannon?  Also, what time is a good time to arrive so as to get decent parking?  Or is there any restriction on how early - we like to arrive and have a bit of munchies before we go in.

parking lots open very early in the morning, and like most faires, you park in the grass leading up to the faire. i got there as early as 9am some years, never an issue. get there as early as you want. prior to the opening cannon, the gates open just literally moments before. like 15 minutes or so, not too much. it is like other faires, rather boring as the gates are just opening, most characters / playtrons / vendors just waking up, wandering around eating a crepe / scotch egg/ something trying to wake up!!

last year we got there on the closing saturday, and they had around 15-18,000 there that day, i kid you not, and we were like number 17,500, it was sooo crazy. we got there around 1pm, and our walk from car to gate was 120 seconds, tops. the parking is all outside of front gate, and you are walking right towards gate. not around the backside, something of that nature. any spot you park at, you can see the front gate, literally.