News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Highland festival in Estes Park, Colo.

Started by Blushing, September 06, 2009, 12:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blushing

It's still a LOT cheaper than Disneyland ... and it's on par with the price to get into faire.  I for one always pack a cooler with drinks and such for road trips, even if Denver isn't that far from the Springs.  Of course, trips to Estes brings requests from co-workers for certain treats, so I have to bring a big cooler regardless.

I found at least a partial schedule http://www.scotfest.com/Scottish_Festival/Main_Stage.html.

Here's a thought, how about we try to meet up at about 2 p.m. near the trebuchets for a mini meet 'n greet?
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Never been and don't want to go to Disney. With faire we had had that worked into the budget at the time.

The main reason is Thomas hasn't been working and what little he does get from the little work is being streched. All my money goes to bills so it's a choice of going to the fest or paying a bill. We may change our minds but at this time it doesn't look like we are going.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Zoë

I'm sitting this one out.  I have a job orientation tomorrow morning and homework on top of that, and beyond those two things I'm really sick from my weekend gallivanting about in Maryland.  So in the interest of my own self-preservation and not spreading this to all of Estes Park, I'm going to sit at home with a cup of tea and my homework.
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

NelleMoorley

2pm near the trebuchets on Saturday.  Sounds good!  If anyone wants to do dinner afterwards, let me know.

Nelle Moorley

Blushing

Lady de Laney, I hope you have a good weekend whatever you end up doing.

Zoe, I hope you get better and fast!  You have another faire to play at soon.
~All human activity lies within the artist's scope~

Radu the Gypsy

Quote from: Zoë on September 11, 2009, 10:51:00 AM
I'm sitting this one out.  I have a job orientation tomorrow morning and homework on top of that, and beyond those two things I'm really sick from my weekend gallivanting about in Maryland.  So in the interest of my own self-preservation and not spreading this to all of Estes Park, I'm going to sit at home with a cup of tea and my homework.

And all of Estes appreciates your self sacrifice Miss Typhoid.  ;)

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

We are still talking it over. Since everything we want to do will cost us $$$ we may decide to go.

It is reported to rain tomorrow so dress warm and bring an umbrella. If we don;t go or don't see you, have fun.

"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

OK Just found out Highland tickets at KS are now $28 They were $22 but went up today. They are $25 at the gate. $20 at the visitor center which opens at 9 and is on 34 across from McD's

$28 now that is Outrageous. Might as well be going to Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire which are the highest of any faire at I believe $30 based on Renaissance Magazine. Note this is Not Pittsburgh but Penn
"The Metal Maiden"

Zoë

Quote from: Blushing on September 11, 2009, 11:43:10 AM
Zoe, I hope you get better and fast!  You have another faire to play at soon.

Yes!  One week and I'm in Santa Fe!  Probably a good thing that Fritzie doesn't talk (just makes noises...) because I may not have a 100% voice by this time next week.  I went to the doc today and he put me on antibiotic pills the size of my thumb, so they better do something...
Capitaine Zoë D'Arcachon
Elizabeth Covington
Fritzie the Fairy

Norfolk

Fair Zoe:  Please accept my sincere best wishes for a full and rapid recovery ... before next weekend!  (PS:  I like your new portrait.)

Mistress Blushing:  Blessings upon you ... AND your cooler!
Just call me "Your Grace"

Awen

Regarding the cost - yes, it has gotten ridiculous, and worse. Vendors are fewer than last year due to some pretty stupid (IMO) decisions by the management regarding "sharing" (extortion?) of profits, which they have never done before.

My stepmom wanted to come see me in the harp competition (I won, by the way) but when she found out it was $25 at the gate she said "no way" and went home, and I don't blame her a bit. And she lives in Estes Park.

Given that few festivals in the Celtic realm made money this year, the folks at Longs Peak are doing some things that could really hurt the festival long term. I heard way more complaints about costs than I ever have before.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

HUZZAH to the win.

I persoanlly was a bit disapointed in the vendors this year. No Ravenswood Leather? I was upset at that. This was only my third time of  going and I know Toki has been a ton. Not sure if we will go next year withthe rising costs.

It's funny, I hear people complain about Faire and it's cost (Gate, Food and Drinks) But when you compare faire to Highland fest or to say Cheyenne Frontier days, the cost of tickets, food and drinks are cheap. I know paying $10 at Cheyenne for a tiny little burger McD's charges a buck for is outrageous. And at highland I think a tiny pork sandwich cost us $8.00 compared to the $3.50/$4.00 we pay at faire.

I can see Highland fest vanishing which is a sad thing.
"The Metal Maiden"

Awen

Quote from: Lady de Laney on October 05, 2009, 10:44:24 AM
HUZZAH to the win.

I persoanlly was a bit disapointed in the vendors this year. No Ravenswood Leather? I was upset at that. This was only my third time of  going and I know Toki has been a ton. Not sure if we will go next year withthe rising costs.

It's funny, I hear people complain about Faire and it's cost (Gate, Food and Drinks) But when you compare faire to Highland fest or to say Cheyenne Frontier days, the cost of tickets, food and drinks are cheap. I know paying $10 at Cheyenne for a tiny little burger McD's charges a buck for is outrageous. And at highland I think a tiny pork sandwich cost us $8.00 compared to the $3.50/$4.00 we pay at faire.

I can see Highland fest vanishing which is a sad thing.

The attendance was down this year but still healthy. However, a lot of vendors stayed away because of the change in policy. I was told that in the past vendors paid a flat fee for having a booth. This year they paid the fee AND then also had to pay a percentage of their booth sales. That's a load of crap, IMO, and it will hurt the festival long term.

Craigmeister

Do they actually fire the trebuchets there or are they just conversation pieces like the ones in Oklahoma now?  I can't handle the altitude anymore but I LOVE to watch trebuchets in action.
Providing faire information for over 10 years (updated monthly).  Visit www.meistersrealm.com to find all the Renaissance & Celtic-type Festivals in North America.  There's much more to see and do in 'The Realm' as well.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

They did not fire them this year, not sure why. Last year and previous years however they did launch bowling balls out into the lake. The balls would then float back to shore.
"The Metal Maiden"