News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Other Royalty?

Started by Thumper, September 08, 2009, 10:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katie Bookwench

Quote from: Margaret on September 10, 2009, 12:40:36 PM

I mean, if stories like that start occurring, what's to stop an ED from pitching a story line for a faire that contains QE, Robin Hood, the French and Spanish scheming together to take the throne of England by sneaking in a roving band of pygmy mummies in to do the dirty work.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUGH!  :o

I just had this momentary daymare of Stephen Sommers taking over as ED of MIRF.

(*ya couldn't resist mentioning the PM's, could ya?*)
Katie O'Connell - Hollygrove Library
(aka The Bookwench)
Licensed Wench - IWG Local 57

Margaret

Quote from: Katie Bookwench on September 10, 2009, 12:59:48 PM

(*ya couldn't resist mentioning the PM's, could ya?*)

Not even one little bit!!   ;D
Mistress Margaret Baynham
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

L Dale Walter

At MIRF we have had both Robin Hood and the Three Musketeers in the same story line - that was not too much to ask the audience to believe.  We are a Renaissance festival, not a living history exhibit.  We can do that.

Not at the same time.  In 2002 I was asked to do Robin Hood and the Three Musketeers fight together to save Queen Elizabeth.  I refused, stating that crossing that many time lines would cause a dimensional vortex that would destroy us all.  SO they did it in KC... ::sigh::

Hell, even Bristol did Robin Hood, stating that he "wasn't the REAL Robin Hood, but had taken up the mantle in defense of QE"  OK, whatever works for ya...

The problem with the Elizabethan era is that not much happened.  Hard to do Drake and the Spanish Armada without ships, and that is spendy.  A show based on the consolidation of currency lacks much pizazz.  The Siege of Le Havre?  Not really a fun show.  The Anglo-Spanish war really doesn't have any heroes, as Robert Dudley isn't well known.  We could do the famous speech at Tillbury in Essex, but then there was NO INVASION, which makes it kind of anticlimactic in my book.  No one wants us to fight Ireland in the Nine Years War, and a treaty with Morocco, the Ottoman Empire, or Japan isn't very exciting either.    I don't even want to broach Catholics –vs- Protestants.  You want letters?  Do that one...

Even the straight up Musketeer story is awfully "court intrigue" to be understood by a festival crowd.   People claim audiences don't follow plot, and a show based right on Dumas's book would prove them right...

So, what to do?  I wish I knew.  As a director I do the best I can with what I can work with.  

Robin Hood.  Kids dig it.  

LDW

Lord Virgil

To say that my day would be 'ruined' by catching site of another king/queen/court is stretching it a bit because if our day at faire would be ruined by anachoristicst stuff - all those folks in jeans and t-shirts would have to go as well.  As well as those who show up in Scooby Doo outfits.   Especially those in Scooby Doo outfits carrying flintlock pistols.  Thems the WORST!!   ;)

That hurt  :'(,
Them there's fightin' words, LOL :P  (joking of course)

I mean, if stories like that start occurring, what's to stop an ED from pitching a story line for a faire that contains QE, Robin Hood, the French and Spanish scheming together to take the throne of England by sneaking in a roving band of pygmy mummies in to do the dirty work.

Wasn't that already done?  Monte Python and/or Mel Brooks did all that and then some I think,  ;D

I agree with Flidias that any further discussion should be kept to the act and reactions to said act, not anything directly attacking any individual or group.  You can have a civil debate of a subject without personal attacks.  Little humourous jibes like the one above by Margaret of course should be allowed as they are obviously in jest and I got a kick out of it.
Nothing better in life than enjoying a pint amongst friends...Huzzah!

pineridge

So..... Whats the policy on weapons at the faire this year????   

(He said hoping that THIS would be enough for the moderator to steer this one back on course and LOCK ER DOWN!!)

:)
two words,,, therapy.

Margaret

Quote from: L Dale Walter on September 10, 2009, 01:14:42 PM

Not at the same time.  In 2002 I was asked to do Robin Hood and the Three Musketeers fight together to save Queen Elizabeth.  I refused, stating that crossing that many time lines would cause a dimensional vortex that would destroy us all.  SO they did it in KC... ::sigh::
very exciting either.    I don't even want to broach Catholics –vs- Protestants.  You want letters?  Do that one...

I'm sorry - I did not mean to imply that Robin Hood and The Muskateers were there at the same time.

I assumed that since most of us here are familiar with MIRF and the shows that have run in the past years, we would know that they were there different years.
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

Margaret

Quote from: Lord Virgil on September 10, 2009, 01:25:19 PM
 Little humourous jibes like the one above by Margaret of course should be allowed as they are obviously in jest and I got a kick out of it.

Good - because that was the way it was intended.   :D

And - any time I can taunt Katie with pygmy mummies, it's a good time.  Hee hee heee....
The Sweete Ladye
IWG #1656 MCL
wench.org (IWG forums)
ibrsc.org (IBRSC forums)

flidais

hahahaha.....pygmy mummies......have you ever seen the movie Buba Hotep?  I think that's how it's spelled, I've never actually watched it but my brother owns it and from I can tell it's like Elvis mummies or something like that.  har har

Cateyes

No Elvis is fighting Mummies

flidais

Quote from: Cateyes on September 10, 2009, 06:47:52 PM

OH!!!  Gotcha I was always trying to understand why Elvis was a mummy.  But that makes more sense.  lol

renfairephotog

and it stars Bruce Campbell.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

L Dale Walter

Quote from: Cateyes on September 10, 2009, 06:47:52 PM

Oh you think this is so far fetched.  I had a faire want me to do a "Legendary heroes -vs- legendary villians" show.  It never got past concept, but the line up could have included:

Good guys:  Batman, Racer X, Scooby Doo, Ultra Man, Mr. Spock, Abraham Lincoln, and the Harlem Globetrotters

Bad guys:  Dracula, Snidely Whiplash, Hitler, Darth Vader, Goldfinger, and a zombie horde.

Now THAT is a show!

LDW

Carl

I miss the Musketeers. My wife and I started going to faire about 4 years ago and I am a big Dumas (one s no b) fan they were great.This is why one of my personas is a Musketeer.Everytime I see someone dressed as a Musketeer I ask them if they have word from the King and is the Cardinal causing trouble again.Sadly most have no idea what I am talking about. So when you see Charles de Montcalm Garde du Roy of the Grey Musketeers traveling the grounds with the Contessa Gabriella give a hearty "one for all and all for one" (hows that for hijacking a thread!)
Castleteer
Bretheren of the Great Lakes
Outlander
FOKTOP
True heirto the Duchy of Savoy
Rivet'n Penny

nliedel

Quote from: Lord Virgil on September 10, 2009, 10:34:04 AM
Do people take Ren Faires so seriously that if they see more than one king/queen/royal court/period represented, etc..., it ruins their entire day??? 

I can understand the complaints if anyone thought this was disrespectful to our queen or our faire, but if it's all about historical correctness..... ::)

Does this mean that I have to get rid of my flintlock on my pirate costume since they weren't invented until after the Elisabethan period?

Lice and plague, you forgot your lice and plage and if you've bathed anytime since spring, off with your head.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

nliedel

Dale, I hope it came across, loud and clear, that I am eating a large portion of crow because I was 100% wrong about you and your group. You're a fabulous addition and I was pond scum for ever thinking you would not be. You all fantastic and work well in the group, and cast as well as the day at MRF. Just blown away, am I.

No, I'm not sucking up. I really mean that.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor