News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Memorial Weekend Weather

Started by Element of Air, May 23, 2008, 11:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Element of Air

I have been keeping close tabs on the weather for the 75168 postal code for Scarborough fair this last weekend.

It started by say a week ago that This weekend was all Thunderstorms and going to be at least 90 degrees.

It now has worked it's way down to say:

Saturday: Partly Cloudy 93/72
Sunday: Sunny 92/72
Monday: Isolated Thunderstorms 91/71

It seems to me that Queen Bonnie might have cast a weather spell for us all that we might have another great (yet hot) weekend!
Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

eloquentXI

Aye, muggy it will be, but all will be fun! Weather will make everything fun!
Still Meggers, just a little more grown up now. :)

Ottheinrich

Where is that weather spell?

*paging Queen Bonnie........Queen Bonnie!!!*

eloquentXI

She's away on wizarding business so I think we're on our own.

Ottheinrich

DonaCatalina

Well, it was just hot enough that I couldn't make myself get up Monday morning.
I'm glad I got to see most of you guys on Saturday!
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Ottheinrich

It was warm in the morning and by the time the parade started it was HOT. The march of death was exactly that.

We missed you and Don Juan on Monday

Lady Ann of Draycott

Quote from: DonaCatalina on May 26, 2008, 10:57:02 AM
Well, it was just hot enough that I couldn't make myself get up Monday morning.
I'm glad I got to see most of you guys on Saturday!
I'm so glad we got to see you too!  We got up and went on Monday but I was miserable.  It was so hot and I was so uncomfortable.  By 2:00 pm I had had enough, plus we had a four hour drive home, so we told everyone goodbye and headed out.  It was cooler out at the truck than it was inside the faire!
Collector of Wine and Roses
Clan McLotofus Elder
Landshark No. 96

*Teach*

Have to chime in on the hot stuff as well
It was so hot Saturday that the Lovely Lady Trinn almost went down twice. We were both drinking nothing but water almost all day (once my morning buzz of rum from the parking lot was over that is... thanks again for that too Ot, Zaubon, DonaCatalina and Don Juan!) She nearly passed out once a bit after noon but we got her nice and cooled off and then about 4:30 it all came back again. We decided that was enough for the day and headed back to the room.
Sunday she made the very intelligent choice of switching into her new pink bellydancer outfit and was nice and comfy all day. We also discovered the cold sandwich wraps near the back of the faire and found them again near the Stage where Iris and Rose play. Thanks to whomever showed those to us (completely forgot who that was). Having a cold meal also helped quite a bit that day.

I still feel hot even now... whew

*I did learn to how turn my mug into a ice chest for the rum/loki flasks this weekend though*
*Got more Rum?* "Here, Try This!"
http://forums.wearephoenixrisen.com

J M Gryphon

Just an update, Lady April/Gossamer Pepperweb (my girlfriend) is ok now, although we had to go to the hospital in Waxahachie to get her some fluids after she overheated and dehydrated on Memorial day (we hadnt even been drinking booze that day). I would like to thank the first aid guys at the front gate for getting her cooled down and getting the paramedics there quickly, she is doing fine today. It  just figures that its 70 degrees cloudy and raining one day after Memorial day  :P
Private First Class Queens own Highlanders
Wandering Green Wizard of Krunk
Jedi Master

DonaCatalina

Thanks for letting everyone know that she's ok.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Tukaram

I had heard she fell out.  Glad to hear she is ok. 

Monday was fun but it got so hot I had to skip the 'war' with the British at Scottish Court.  Instead I went and had ice cream, Gatorade, and watched my only Stonhenj performance of the year (hope they do more than one day next year!).  Even with the long break, tons of fluids (non alcoholic...dangnubbit), and as much shade as I could find I was still too sick this morning to go to work.  I'm laying across the desk in my computer room still nauseous. 

All this fun and we pay for it too!  ;D  And I can't wait until next year!

eloquentXI

I'm glad to hear April is doing better, JM. I didn't get a chance to see anyone minus Sir Jerrick and Element towards the end of the day.

Seems like we all really felt the heat- I woke up with my second post-faire bloody nose this morning, even with lots of fluid yesterday. Even though, gotta admit, we had amazing weather all season long, except for the heat the last two weekends.

wanderingbard

Aye, glad to hear that everyone has survived with no permanent damage. I had to leave early on Saturday, despite the valiant efforts to the dedicated people at the FoF booth who kept filling my glass while I sat there trying not to die. I salute our dedicated FoF people who worked their butts off to keep us hydrated this past weekend! I know a lot of people complained about the cost of the FoF passes this year, but if you figure out how much it would have cost me to buy all that Gatorade in the park, I think I still came out ahead.

I also renewed my appreciation for the gateside souvenir shop's might Fans of Airy Goodness, although I think they got tired of me standing there in their doorway for so long.

And now, in addition to my existing mental map of the faire, I now have a very clear picture of exactly where the shade is and how to get from place to place with minimal sun exposure.  :P

--Alasdar, the Wandering Bard

Element of Air

I am so glad that those who were ill for the heat were able to become better so quickly!

I did will with the heat as best I could and found refuge in my shop with fans pointed on me.

It was the best season I think with only the last weekend being hot. The Sunday that it was drizzly was not even that bad. The entire season I think was perfect.
Royal Duchess of Air, Music and Beauty in the court of Queen Bonnie.
FOKTOP
Royal Order of Landsharks, Guppy No. 25

Var Greyshadow

Glad to hear everyone is doing well!

We made it till 3:30 on Saturday and decided to just head back to the motel and cool off.  Sunday was a bit better, but still only got to 5:00. 

Monday, I was determined that we'd make it the whole day.  We both survived Death March, even carrying our steel (THANK YOU, THANK YOU to the First Aid guys down by the Chess Board who passed cups of Gatorade down our lines as we were waiting for the parade to end).  After that, we plopped at Friends of Faire, then moved only far enough for Lawrence to get some fish and chips.  Then, we stumbled over to the King's Pub for part of the Rambling Sailors' show before trudging out ot the carriage to get rid of his heavy Claymore.  We skipped the "war" as well.  Just came back in and sat off to the side of Hightower Square for a while.  Made it to the Bard O'Neill's 4:30 at the White Horse, and by then the temp was becoming tolerable, so we followed her down to the pub sing at the King's Pub.  Hung around in the parking lot for a little while, till the sheriff started coming around and glaring at us.

I think I had the best times hanging out in the parking lot in the mornings and in the last three hours of faire on Monday.

It was great to see everyone and to meet some people I hadn't met in person yet.
"All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost..." ~J.R.R. Tolkien "The Fellowship of the Ring"