News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Best Restaurants in Kansas City are in Canterbury

Started by kcdcchef, October 07, 2009, 11:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcdcchef

Every fall, I look forward to eating my way through Canterbury over the course of 2 days. Some of the most amazing food ever is at that shire. Each year, I always get my favorites, the crepe and the turkey leg. Always a crepe with strawberries, almonds, chocolate shavings, and ice cream. And of course, a turkey leg. Traditional fare, gotta have it.

Thought we could talk about everyone's favorite and least favorite foods at the KCRF.

Favorites: Turkey Leg - a little barbecue on it, very good. some years too cooked, but usually nice and moist
               Crepes   - not enough can be said. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
               Bread Bowl with Chicken Chili - most bread bowl soups are good there.
               Grilled Corn on the Cob - mmmm, butter and seasoning. mmmmmmmmmmmmm
               Corn Fritters  -  always so light.
               Fish and Chips  - light batter, real good.

Least Favorites:
               Chinese Food - Godawful. Horrible. Dont eat it, like frozen food thawed out.
               Steak Sandwiches - Canned cheese sauce is bad enough, but on a Philly??

oh yeah, someone get canterbury to get with it and bring in diet dr. pepper. other faires have the things where you buy the tankard at the olde fashioned soda place and let you refill it all day for like ten bucks.

Amyj

I agree with the turkey legs...must be the KC BBQ!  ;D  Also the Scotch Eggs are awesome!!!  As a snack, the honey roasted almonds are to die for!  Can't wait...I'm drooling already...See ya all on Sat!!!!
I'm not fat, it's just that a skinny body couldn't hold ALL THIS PERSONALITY! ;)
Historically Accur-ISH

Butch

Although I CANNOT agree with the title of the thread (so many outstanding KC restaruants outside of Canterbury), I will say the chow at KCRF is fantastic!

This year, we ate at the Feaste of Fooles, and that chow was very good indeed!  Usually, we have a turkey leg.  Those are the best!  I think my son had a gyro this year.  My wife bought some of the almonds, and I guess I just wasn't into them.

OH!  I almost forgot, my dau had one of the Queen's Cupcakes (new this year), and said they were HUGE and very tasty!  When we go back (probably next yr), I'll be sure to have one of those!

Cormac

Turkey leg and Gyro did it for me.  The turkey leg had good flavor and I didn't add any sauce.  Should be nice and cool this weekend so some hot soup in a bread bowl might be in order.

Genievea Brookstone

Looking forward to being there Saturday.  Last year when we went it was really warm , this weekend they say its going to be in the 50's.  Lovely fall weather!

Anyway  we ate at Carlinos at The Legends the night before.  Great Italian food!
Genievea Brookstone
Lost child of the Woods

Cormac

Quote from: Genievea Brookstone on October 08, 2009, 11:05:27 AM
Looking forward to being there Saturday.  Last year when we went it was really warm , this weekend they say its going to be in the 50's.  Lovely fall weather!

Anyway  we ate at Carlinos at The Legends the night before.  Great Italian food!
I hope you are right about the lovely fall weather.  I am about 3 hours south and getting rinsed today.

Anyone have a favorite place for dinner after the faire?

kcdcchef

Quote from: Finvarra on October 08, 2009, 09:19:48 AM

For post-faire, outside of Canterbury dining, I recommend going to The Legends by the Kansas Speedway.  There are a lot of excellent restaurants, mostly recognizable chains (Outback, Applebee's, Hooter's), but some less well known ones as well.  My favorites are The Yardhouse, Granite City and Cheeseburger in Paradise.

you actually go to the legends? no thanks, not me, not ever. i steadfastly refuse to go to places that are built in former cornfields with taxpayer money, while the urban core sits to rot. all the wyco dwellers are infatuated with creating a new bannister or blue ridge, in what was once a cornfield. dont kid yourself into thinking it will not end up the same as bannister or blue ridge, or even metro north. and it was built using TIF's, star bonds, and taxpayer money all the while the urban core of downtown KCK is left to rot. at least the power and light district was built in the urban core.

for me, i would go to strouds, or the REAL arthur bryants, fiorellas in the freighthouse, perhaps extra virrgin or micheal smith in the crossroads, the american at crown center, tomfooleries on the plaza, jerrys woodswether in the west bottoms, the savoy downtown, i mean, legends is absolutely nothing but either inferior ripoffs of superior places ( the real jazz, the real bryants ) or chain concepts that have no interest in the local market and will abandon the legends in less than twenty years. ( been to great mall lately??)

off the soapbox, sorry for the rant..............

i think kc has lovely restaurants. just love the renfest food!!

Quote from: Finvarra on October 08, 2009, 09:19:48 AM

Yes, the cupcakes are quite good. They are at "Pruinella's Bait Shop" (think Hansel and Gretel) which is in Cotswold Commons near the turkey leg booth.  I agree with kcdcchef's assessment of the food, except that I haven't had the corn fritters or corn on the cob.  The corn fritters look good though and the other fried vegetables (I hear they have fried pickles now) are pretty good.

so this is new in 2009?? cannot wait to try it!! what did it take the place of? cannot wait to try it! and take my picture with it, since i love ginerbread houses so much . ( it is my side not for profit business and all, gingerbread house making )

Steev

Quote from: Butch on October 08, 2009, 07:43:47 AM
Although I CANNOT agree with the title of the thread (so many outstanding KC restaruants outside of Canterbury)

Yep.  Though I realize it's a faire-centric food review, I would suggest to visitors to KCRF for their OUTSIDE faire food: Blue Koi and Mongolian Barbecue on 39th Street KCMO, any of the mexican restaurants and the little tapas place up on Southwest Boulevard off of Southwest Trafficway (just south of rt 70), YJs in the gallery district for local artsy-fartsy cuisine and scene, the Blue Bird Cafe for natural/local/organic awesome food and the round-the-corner bakery (name I can't recall), and for kick-assHaHa (this board wanted to change that to "weed puller") haute cuisine, Le Fou Frog just east of the City Market.

Damn, what a good city for food.  Now get me started on music places and that's a whole 'nother thing...

S
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

kcdcchef

Quote from: Steev on November 06, 2009, 10:25:58 PM

Yep.  Though I realize it's a faire-centric food review, I would suggest to visitors to KCRF for their OUTSIDE faire food: Blue Koi and Mongolian Barbecue on 39th Street KCMO, any of the mexican restaurants and the little tapas place up on Southwest Boulevard off of Southwest Trafficway (just south of rt 70), YJs in the gallery district for local artsy-fartsy cuisine and scene, the Blue Bird Cafe for natural/local/organic awesome food and the round-the-corner bakery (name I can't recall), and for kick-assHaHa (this board wanted to change that to "weed puller") haute cuisine, Le Fou Frog just east of the City Market.

Damn, what a good city for food.  Now get me started on music places and that's a whole 'nother thing...

S

the kansas city metro ( particularly in downtown, crossroads, and midtown ) has some of the most spectacular restaurants of any city kc's size.

my point was how good renfest food was, particularly this faire.

Steev

[/quote]
my point was how good renfest food was, particularly this faire.
[/quote]

I know what you meant- and I hope to find how right you are next summer.  But any mention of KC food and I kinda go crazy...

Oh, and the Brickyard on Southwest Boulevard on the Kansas side (by the drive in movie theater).

S
Born too late.  But not too late for faires.

Aniroaldawen

Apparently KCRF just redesigned their website (including pictures in the banner of a front gate that is not ours o_O)...and on the "food menu" section...CREPES AREN'T LISTED!!! O_O If the absolute best food in Canterbury is gone... :.-(
http://www.kcrenfest.com/foodmenu.html

Gauwyn of Bracknell

The crepes there are quite good - hope they are not missing :-\
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

That redesign now looks very similar to the MN Renfest site!

Feline Groovy

Quote from: Butch on July 10, 2010, 10:57:32 AM
That redesign now looks very similar to the MN Renfest site!

Considering both are owned/operated/managed by MidAmerica Festivals, not much of a surprise there.
Where was I going and how do I get there?

kcdcchef

I would be hard pressed to believe the crepes are gone after all these years. But ya never know.

I like the new website. The old one always looked so discombobulated.