News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

new and looking for outfit ideas/advice!

Started by andrew, October 27, 2009, 07:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew

Hello guys,
I am going to the PA renaissance faire this weekend on Sunday and would like to have an outfit to go in. I was hoping to create a costume without spending all that much money. (I dont have that much money to work with!) Does anyone have tips on making an outfit on a budget? I was hoping to be an inn keeper or a bartender.

Thanks!

WaywardWench

Quote from: andrew on October 27, 2009, 07:12:26 PM
Hello guys,
I am going to the PA renaissance faire this weekend on Sunday and would like to have an outfit to go in. I was hoping to create a costume without spending all that much money. (I dont have that much money to work with!) Does anyone have tips on making an outfit on a budget? I was hoping to be an inn keeper or a bartender.
Thanks!

On a shoestring budget I would recommend goodwill and thrift stores for things that can be repurposed. Stay in natural colors and fabrics when possible. Peasant, pirate, highwayman and gypsy are easy enough to pull together from modern things. Don't be bashful, check the ladies areas for big sleeved blouses or shirts, coats, jackets.

Look for a vest or coat that can be remade into a laced up jerkin. Leather or wool would be great. Take off the buttons and sleeves, punch some matching holes, get extra long leather laces from the shoe store or leather section of hobby store, retie the sleeves through matching punched holes to the shoulders and lace up the front and belt.

Look for leggings in the ladies area for "Robin Hood" tights. Wide leather or studded belts.Tuck oversize, wide legged pants in boots. Check purse section for something to use as a pouch to hang from belt.

As my design friends always remind me, look at things with your "16th century, not 21st century" eyes.
Have fun searching and playing.

Trillium

Great ideas there!  Also, for pants, keep an eye out for black or brown scrubs or pajama pants.  They work well in a pinch.
Got faerie dust?

andrew

i must agree! these are some good ideas. i was told that black/dark colors are more for the higher class. is that true? ill be shopping around this week. any other tips would be wonderful :)

Lady Renee Buchanan

If you buy scrub pants, you'll want to take a seam ripper and carefully remove the back patch pockets.  If you find a colorful scarf, you can tie it around your head, pirate style. 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

andrew

Dinobabe

Wal-Mart usually has canvas deck shoes.  They are cheap and fairly comfortable.  I wear them with my middle class garb.

Look in the men's section for clothing of Goodwill, too!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

andrew

Quote from: Dinobabe on October 29, 2009, 02:17:10 PM
Wal-Mart usually has canvas deck shoes.  They are cheap and fairly comfortable.  I wear them with my middle class garb.

Look in the men's section for clothing of Goodwill, too!

I am headed to walmart after work today! Thanks for the advice. My aunt is also going to look into a small shop for cheaper garb. She makes it herself!